• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT 67 GT front hub removal

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
I'm starting in on getting the 67 back on the road and starting with the front brakes. What is the secret to getting the dust cap of the hub bolt on a wire wheel car. Does it unscrew somehow or pry off using the small hole in the side of the hub or...? It has a small threaded shaft sticking out of it so is there a required tool?? Thanks in advance.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
On the passenger rear of your engine, the last head stud has a smaller open female end...take that head stud out of the engine, insert the smaller female end into the hub & screw it onto the dust cap (there's a small male stud on the end of the dust cover that'll go into the female end on the head stud) & then just pull the dust cover off!

Reverse to put it back in....& then reinstall the head stud & torque it down.

OP
Monark192

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Tony. I couldn't readily identify the head stud but knowing the principle, I made a puller out of a long bolt with a thick nut at the end to thread onto the dust cover. First one is out. The second is proving more reluctant.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Always the case.

OP
Monark192

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
Don't know if I can pull any harder. :frown:

Oh well, I'm sure it will pop right out tomorrow.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Clamp a big vise grip on your puller & hit it with a BFH, knocking the cap loose - hit outwards not inwards!

Steve_S

Yoda
Do you really remove a head stud just to take a grease cap out? You can buy a coupling nut for 39 cents at any hardware store that will do the same thing. I never disturb the head bolts unless necessary.

OP
Monark192

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
I thought it seemed a bit complicated. However, 9 minutes after posting my question, I had a detailed answer that didn't rely on specialty tools. You gotta love this place. Got the passender side rotor replaced and new pads almost in last night - I forgot to order new cotter pins with the rest of my brake parts and nether the local Autozone or Lowes had any long enough. I will be warming up the BFH as Tony suggested to have another go at the drivers side this weekend.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Steve_S said:
Do you really remove a head stud just to take a grease cap out? You can buy a coupling nut for 39 cents at any hardware store that will do the same thing. I never disturb the head bolts unless necessary.
Actually, Steve, whenever I disassemble an old engine, I keep that one stud & the long nut on top of it...I've welded a handle across a couple of them & have them in my specialty drawer.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup! Me too. Made up one back in th' day with a "T" handle.

Monark192 said:
I thought it seemed a bit complicated. However, 9 minutes after posting my question, I had a detailed answer that didn't rely on specialty tools. You gotta love this place.

Best on the Web, Simon. :laugh:

OP
Monark192

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
Got it done - a little lovin from dear old BFH and it came right out. Was able to finish up both sides at the front - new pads, rotors, and hoses. Yeah. Still waiting on UPS to deliver rear pads which had to be shipped from the east coast so on to draining fuel tank and re plumbing soft fuel lines.

Getting closer to that first drive one step at a time.