• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

66 MKIII found - need advice

thecarnut

Freshman Member
I am new to Healeys and this forum ... although I do have experience with Jaguars.

Recently I ran across a 30K miles 1966 3000 MKIII from a gentleman that owned it since 1972. Unfortunately he was getting divorced (after 30 years!) and needed to depart with the car. When I bought the car he was just about done reinstalling the engine after detailing it and replacing the clutch. I had to install the exhaust and other minor hookups. The engine started right away and has very good oil pressure. The paint is old but not too bad and the body is straight and completely rust free.

I know very little about Healeys and to be honest I want to stick with the cars I really know. This car deserves to end up with a Healey enthusiast. What is a fair price for this car?

The previous owner added an oil cooler, replaced the cam cover and air cleaners. Do these modifications hurt the value of the car? They were very well done and can easily be reversed.

What Healey sites would be good to list this car?

I have many photos and a more complete description on my web site. Your comments would be appreciated.

www.thecarnut.com

Ivan

Country flag
Having owned an old Jag (XK140) and driven others, I would recomend driving the Healey or if yours isn't drivable seek a drivable one. You may never go back to a Jag. At the risk of offending the Jag owners they do not handle like the Healey (except the XK-E). They are beautiful cars though and they will pass any thing on the road (except a mechanic). But the Healey is really a FUN car and pleasent to the eye. That's my two cents.

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Provenance is king. If you are sure of the originality of this car, I would say the value is North of 30K! If you are not sure, I would say the price listed on your site is "about right", without inspecting the car personally. I also think this vehicle would be more attrractive if it had a Heritage certificate and a letter from the previous owner clearly stating what he did or did not do to the car.

I don't know the "right" places to list to sell, but I routinely look at Hemmings, Trader On Line and the back of both Healey magazines to see what is going on in sales.

It looks too nice to sell to me. I agree with Tahoe, you outta drive it for a while before selling.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Unfortunately he was getting divorced (after 30 years!) and needed to depart with the car. I want to stick with the cars I really know. This car deserves to end up with a Healey enthusiast. What is a fair price for this car?

The previous owner added an oil cooler, replaced the cam cover and air cleaners. Do these modifications hurt the value of the car? They were very well done and can easily be reversed.

What Healey sites would be good to list this car?

Ivan
[/QUOTE]

Hello Ivan, and welcome to the Healey portion of the Forum. Do you think the PO spent too many hours on the car vs family? Just kidding, please don't reply.
After most cars have been restored there is always, and I'm sure you know this, a break-in period where the car needs to be driven and items fixed. After this has been done you might consider listing on ebay, or contacting one of the many brokers. Mark Hyman in our area comes to mind, as does Wilson motor cars. There are many more. If all else fails check out some of the auction houses for recent sales. Healey's have gone up in value, nearing XKE values. (So says Keith Martin) so if you're just selling to make a return on your investment now would be the right time. You could drive the car for awhile, you might enjoy it enough to keep it. Also, you may consider joining the Austin Healey Club of America and attend some of the nearby events and compare cars.

driving.gif

OP
T

thecarnut

Freshman Member
Thank you for the advice and the warm welcome.

I will most likely list the car on eBay ... but I want to get all the bugs out first and enjoy the ride!

Johnny: you are absolutely correct about the "break-in" period needed after a major overhaul. That is what has been keeping me busy the last few days. The brakes are still a little soft (need to bleed them again) and a few other odds and ends. The biggest problem I currently have is a lack of power ... but I will post a new topic on that subject.