• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

58 Mk VIII parts needed

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Ok It's official. I'm getting the Mk VIII by the end of the month.
It hasen't been on the road since 69 so it's gonna need everything.
First order of business is to get the hydraulics operational.
I've been surfing the web, and haven't hit any gold mines yet.
I need a parts supplier for all the mechanical bits
Wheel cyl rebuild kits
shoes
master cyl rebuild kit
hoses
belts
and such
Any good leads?
Thanks ahead for any help.
P.S. Quick question.
Am I right in thinking that the pump bolted to the back of the generator is a power steering pump?
If so then this is a very late 58
Also I don't see the power assist for the brakes.
Is that vacuume or hydraulic?
and I'm guessing it's under the floorboars.

Might not have power brakes...
What kind of carbs does it have?
Have you checked Advance or other chains for points, belts, hoses, and brake shoes? You might be surprised...

Might want to branch out a bit... I don't think you'll find "ONE" sole supplier of all the bits your going to need.

Being resourceful is good too... Lowes and home depot will have stuff you need to re-finish the woodwork (and a few other areas if you can think "outside the box")....

...Also, You'll find other parts you can use at the local mom N pop hardware stores, Plumbing supply houses, Industrial hydraulics shops (some of them will make you custom brake hoses, etc - just don't tell them that's what it's for {or just tell someone ther you know} tell them it's for high pressure hydraulics and give fittings specs (or one of the old hoses) to the guy taking the info), They might be able to help with the cylinders too, but get to know 'em and get the hoses first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Main reason not to tell 'em it's for brakes is they usually don't want (or have the insurance to cover) a liability suit from a hose busting on a car. 99.99% of the stuff they'll make for ya though will be more than up to the task.... As good as, or better than, most brake hose mfg'ers though.

Lot's of other un-traditional sources around too - keep your eye's peeled and you mind open.

Good luck on your new project.

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
Congratulations on adopting a large Jaguar saloon. This project should keep you busy for a while. If you had bought a MKIX (dunlop disc brakes)I could supply about every mechanical part. IMHO , the brakes will be the biggest issue. Shoes will have to be relined and cylinders replaced or sleeved. If you get the cylinders sleeved ,get them done in stainless---not brass. The servo is located about midway under the chassis.
Yes that is a power steering pump attached to the dynamo. The pump is basically a ford pump of the same era. The sector is a different story.
The best parts supplier that I have found is SNG Barrett (formerly British Auto/USA). There is one person there that speaks MKV-IX but I cannot recall his name.
I am attaching a pic of my MKIX going into turn one and five at Road Atlanta. Notice the body roll.

Alan T

Attachments

• 188465-myjaguars001.jpg
    188465-myjaguars001.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 153
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks AlanT. I downloaded SNG Barratts (with an "a") catalog and price guide. Looks like they have most everything (not cheap is it?!).
Well here's to having it roadworthy by June!
I'd like to drive it, rust and all, to the big local car show for my 30th birthday. the show is the day after my birthday, which is the day after my brothers wedding.
Whoa! busy weekend!

Way busy weekend... Get her running before that and drive her to the wedding!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
AlanT!!! "Body Roll"!!!

"Th' gunwhales are awash, Cap'n!!! I think we're GOIN' DOWN!!!"

Seriously: What a BEAUTIFUL ol' thang she is! And what 'nads you have for campaigning it thus, as that ain't a ~casual~ endeavor. You're "our kinda lad!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

More photos, PLEEZE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
Banjo,
I'll post a pic of one of my past MKIX's to keep you motivated. Post a pic of that VIII when you get a chance. Dr. E , I'll move my next track pic to the racing forum. I'll start a Vintage thread then.
This weekend I am going to look at a late 3.8S that is up for grabs. Don't need another one but........

Alan T

Attachments

• 189377-myjaguars004.jpg
    189377-myjaguars004.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 128

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Alan
What brand and type of pint did you use? I'm going through the engine compartment on an old roadster (white in color) and will spray can the fire wall etc. Is there any good guides for paint colors for the heater box and any other under bonnet parts that are not white on a white Jag) that you could recommend?

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I have two mk VIII's in need of a new home. located in California, bring a trailer and haul them away. Free!

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gifYou're killing me!!!! I'd be over there in a heartbeat, if it weren't clear across the bleeding country
waaahhahahahaha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Ben Ben...the cost of the trip for a free parts car(s) is probably less than buying one closer off ebay and still having to get it home. I would bet you could arrange BCF B&B accomodations at the same price as the cars with no problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Stan Swanson

Freshman Member
anyone interested in these jags, contact me by pm and I'll send pics. You know you want them, you know you need them. last ran in 1981, driven from Seattle to California. Okay, I had to pump the brakes about 20 times to get enough pressure to stop, and the seat wasn't bolted down, but it was a pretty cool ride in college.
Gotta do something with them or they'll end up at the crusher. They'd look pretty good chopped and channeled, but I've got a Lotus eleven that needs all my money right now.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Stan
In what part of the state are they?
Paul

Stan Swanson

Freshman Member
Cars are in Lompoc, up the coast from Santa Barbara. one is stripped bare, but a good body and frame. the other was my driver in college 25 years ago. rough might be a generous description. I've actually thought about hotrodding one, but living here in Colorado, the eleven would be a hoot to drive. Plus an MGB in need of some re-wiring for my son's first car. looks cool, can't go fast, can't hold passengers, can't flip or roll (try that one in Mom's suburban), no back seat (you figure that part out), can't drive in the snow and ice (colorado, remember?)

Stan Swanson

Freshman Member
Paul (apbos) spoke first, and will be picking up his next project around April. Wish him luck. Now if I could just get the pins for my trailing arms that quickly.....

Stan

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well it looks like thanks to Stan I'll be adding Jaguar owner to my list of projects. As Stan has detailed I'll be picking them up in April when he is out here. I've done a little research on them already. Any addition info would be greatly apprectiated! I'll post a few pics later in the week. Thanks Again Stan!!!!!!!!!
Paul
1949 Triumph Roadster
1978 Ford Mustang II (My first new car)
1958 Jaguar MK VIII (April 07)

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Awsome! glad to here they aren't going to the crusher. I wish to pieces I coulda gotten them, but a coast to coast road trip is not in the cards.
apbos, Best of luck.. I'd love to trade notes with you in April.
Cheers Guv'na! and let me be the first to ask "Pardon me, do you have any Grey Pupon?"

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Banjo
Here is a link to some pictures web page of the MKVIII's. Looking forward to sharing some mustard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
Paul

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Banjo
They are Here!!!!!!!!!! Picked them up this weekend! I'll be doing an inventory on Sat. I even picked up a NOS RH Fender. What are you looking for? I'll be using 2 to make one.

Paul

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Alas, Paul. My MK VIII is in limbo right now. I'm struggling internally if I want to cling to the hope of someday finding a long lost bag of money that will allow me to put this old monster back on the road, or if I have to listen to that nagging voice of reason that is telling me I should pass this project on to a fellow local club member with a running MK VII who could do it justice, and focus my extremely limited time, space, and cash on doing the TR2.
I've yet to make any irreversable decision. But I'm horribly afraid logic is going to prevail.

In a good discussion on this topic with my dad, giving my reason to not sell it as "But it's soooo cool" he wisely replied
"Yea, you can have a whole yard full of "cool" and still have nothing to drive."
Man I hate this.
I hope your projects turn out well. I can't wait to see some pics.