• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

5-speed shift knob

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Even though I'm doing a fair amount of modifications to my Bugeye (5-speed, 1275, front discs) I'm doing everything I can to keep the appearance stock. One item I wanted to find was a shift knob that had the correct 5-speed pattern but looked reasonably stock -- I'm not a fan of wood or leather shift knobs. A bit of Googling brought me to these fellows:

Futofab:
https://www.futofab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=94

So I ordered one up, black with white writing, dogleg pattern, M8x1.25. Came in today and I compared it to a stock one. The Futofab knob is a bit larger than stock, but the shape is similar. I like it. Should make for a stealthy look.

Now I just need to restore the rest of the car. Guess you have to start somewhere. :grin:

shiftknob1.jpg

shiftknob2.jpg

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Nicely done. It is all about the details. Big and small.
:encouragement:

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Knob looks great....I see you are installing the dogleg 5-speed.....have you researched the install details?
It is my understanding that it is different than the std. 5-speed unit usually installed?
Scott in CA

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I do have a dogleg 5-speed (not on purpose, just worked out that way). I'm planning on using Gerard's kit, and I'm pretty sure he's got it worked out for either variant.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I do have a dogleg 5-speed (not on purpose, just worked out that way). I'm planning on using Gerard's kit, and I'm pretty sure he's got it worked out for either variant.

No worries Drew, my kit will work with either gearbox. There is one thing that needs to be added, but it will be simple for you. I'll explain when the time comes.

Good find on the knob. I do offer wood and leather Sprite or Midget shift knobs, but I'll have to save the link you found as a source for one with a stock appearance.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Another source for great wood knobs....like the one on my OLD BE is Larry Heaps .....Lheaps4@gmail.com
Scott in CA

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Would you please post a pic of the underside of the knobs side by side? I'm curious.

Futofab 5-speed knob on left, stock knob on right. My stock knob has a metal insert from bugeyeguy.com, never was a fan of the feel of the original rubber insert these used.

knob_bottom.jpg

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
No worries Drew, my kit will work with either gearbox. There is one thing that needs to be added, but it will be simple for you. I'll explain when the time comes.

Good find on the knob. I do offer wood and leather Sprite or Midget shift knobs, but I'll have to save the link you found as a source for one with a stock appearance.

Good to know, I figured you had a way to handle the dogleg boxes. I was really excited (it doesn't take much) when I came across these shift knobs -- I'm a big fan of the simple, stock-type shift knob and as it's one of the main touch points in a car it's a detail I really wanted to get right.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So let me ask a dumb question but how do you tell the difference between standard and dog leg boxes. I think the 210 box sitting on my workbench is a standard.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Shift through each gear and give the input shaft a spin, watch the output shaft... ? That's what I'd do.

I wish I had a 3d printer. Seems like a shift-knob would be an easy project.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So let me ask a dumb question but how do you tell the difference between standard and dog leg boxes. I think the 210 box sitting on my workbench is a standard.

Look at the drain plug. Standard box the drain plug points down, dogleg box the drain plug points to the rear. Verify as Steve said (I did with mine) and spin the input shaft, watch the output.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
thanks now to find it in the back of my shop. Too much stuff. Too little room.

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
Apropos fitting the dogleg box:
1/ you may need to cut a slight relief in the steel shifter hat to permit enough forward travel on the shift lever to fully engage reverse (I had to).
2/ I had a uniform shop which does employee nameplates (you know, the etched white letters on black background) make me up a little self-adhesive plate which has the dogleg shift pattern, which I neatly stuck to the dash in an empty spot.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
1/ you may need to cut a slight relief in the steel shifter hat to permit enough forward travel on the shift lever to fully engage reverse (I had to).
2/ I had a uniform shop which does employee nameplates (you know, the etched white letters on black background) make me up a little self-adhesive plate which has the dogleg shift pattern, which I neatly stuck to the dash in an empty spot.

Getting the shifter to clear the metal can is a common problem. It requires re-welding or bending the shifter just right, and even slight variances in cars structure and placement of the gearbox can make it better or worse. The dogleg is worse due to the shorter mount (if you did not compensate for that).

I also make a gaiter ring (exact reproduction of one used in post '72 cars), but in aluminum. Gaiters are still available from usual suspects and many other sources. Gaiter rings elsewhere are NLA.

DrilledGaiterRing480.jpg

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

I'll probably have the shifter modified to fit a bit better, but I am prepared to adapt the shifter hat (which I want to keep) if necessary. Simple enough to do if needed.

nomad

Yoda
If you want the original shifter cover look you can cut a section out of it so that it is lower. That's what I have done. Took about 1" out of it if I remember then welded the bottom flange back on. That gets the boot down close to where the new pivot point is and that will work. That is if you cut and reweld your shifter so that it is centered in the opening.

Kurt.