• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

2001/03 Mazda 3

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Alright...

I do love my '94 Subaru Legacy, it's been a great car and I haven't been thinking about selling it, but a co-worker likes it a lot and is showing interest in it...

The Subaru is admittedly more car than I need, as I'm single and don't really need a car that big and he has a family to transport around, and also my Subaru is modified for higher performance with a different high-performance engine...

Depending on what he offers me, I'm tempted to take the money and purchase a 2001 to 2003 Mazda 3 wagon to replace it, I want one with the stick shift of course...

Any thoughts on the Mazda 3 from anyone? I know they are quite sporty in general and get great gas mileage (whereas my Subaru is a pig on gas and needs to feast on expensive premium gas)

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
In 2000 I bought a new 2000 Mazda Protege. Kept it until four months ago, when I got a new Nissan Altima. I'd had Mazda since 1990, and would have stayed with Mazda, but their new cars didn't have the same high ratings as the Altima in sources I trust.

I'm pretty sure the 2001 Mazda 3 is basically a Protege?

That Protege was the absolute best new car I ever owned. In over ten years, only regular scheduled maintenance. Got 36 mpg average, 40 mpg highway with the 1800 cc engine and 5 speed shift. A/C still perfect when I sold it.

Great reviews in Consumer Reports and Edmunds.

Tom

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have a Mazda 6, my mother a Protege, both have rust issues in the rear wheel wells.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My Wife bought a 2002 Protege a few years back.
Great engine,big tires.Handled well,& got decent milage-
(over 30mpg on the highway),but noisy,& not the most com-
fortable car to drive.
We looked at Mazda 3's when we were thinking about
replacing it,& noticed that it had less room inside than the
Protege.
Those things seem to run forever,with normal maintence.

- Doug

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
We had a '02 Protege we bought new. Great car to drive and nice mileage. But in 2008 the automatic trans blew at about 70,000 miles (so we limped it into the local Honda dealer and bought a new '08 Accord).

Honestly, it was probably a freak thing (clutch packs started slipping). The car was driven very gently most of the time (I hardly drove it).
Rear drums brakes seemed to wear out early on the car too (the rear disks on our Accord had a recall for the same thing).

The engine is basically the same as a Miata engine turned sideways. I also have a Miata I bought new in '01 and that is the best car I've ever owned.

I guess I recommend a stick shift version but I'd hesitate on buying an automatic.

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for your thoughts, keep 'em coming... I know I've generally heard positive things about them, and I'll take handling over a soft ride any day so that doesn't concern me too much...

I have yet to see if this whole scenario will actually happen, just an option that might come to pass...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
racingenglishcars said:
Mazda is, with the exception of the rear wheel shock mounts, probably one of the best new, basic transport cars out there. Pretty much bullet proof.
But not an lbc

And, it must be said, for "transportation" thank goodness for that.
grin.gif