• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1998 XK8

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, how does one go about dropping an LT1 engine/tranny in one & making everything work? I can't find anybody who makes a conversion kit....something about computers

R

RonMacPherson

Re: 1998 XJS

did you check out John's in Texas. He used to be the big man as far as Chevy into jaguar conversions. I don't have his url available. But I think it shouldn't be too difficult to procure with a search engine.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
8...John's not doing anything with them - he said they're not popular enough.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
...something about computers

Yeah, don't ya just love 'em? :crazyeyes:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Why? The 98 XK8s are running all over the GT1 Vettes in SCCA GT Racing. Now the XKRs are blowing the class away. Got to see an XK8 last Oct. at Gateway in St. Louis lap the ZO6s in 15 laps of a 20 lap race. The LT1 uses it's own engine managemant system. Take out the Jag engine management system and replace with the LT1 engine management. Might have to replace the gauges but might be able to use the Jag senders. You might also find the Jag system to be close to Volvo or Ford!! ( since Ford owned both at that time).

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well, I was told that the XK computer controls EVERYTHING, including ABS system, etc. Whole car is rendered useless without it.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Engine system still has to be OBDII compatible by US regulations on emissions and repair. The engine will have it's own computer. The Jag BECM controls the body and lighting systems. The trans has it's own ECU also. Disarming the security system may be the hassle if it is associated with the engine ignition and starting.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
What is wrong with the Jag engine? Just fix it, and get on.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ruined in a fire. Instead of opening the door & popping the hood, the firemen ripped the hood open!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
LarryK said:
Engine system still has to be OBDII compatible by US regulations on emissions and repair. The engine will have it's own computer. The Jag BECM controls the body and lighting systems. The trans has it's own ECU also. Disarming the security system may be the hassle if it is associated with the engine ignition and starting.

HUH? :wall:

Wha' hoppen to "Bolt it in, wire it up, put some gas in the tank, and go!"?

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
That's why I said, transplant the LS1 and use it's harness and systems. Looks like he has body work to do too! Never understood why some fire departments don't know how to shoot the water up from under the car and use the hood for dispersement. Sure the water is hot, but if you do it right, saves a lot of money on repairs. And most cars have another way in if the cable breaks.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
LarryK said:
That's why I said, transplant the LS1 and use it's harness and systems.
Instruments? ABS?

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Redo the dash and put your own digital gauges in. As for ABS, it's own computer. The only link between the ABS, traction control and all the Jags computers would be the ignition which lights them all. ABS would remain as it's own, just the visuals and the new transplant would have to be it's own. I think the main problem would be any alarm system or imobilizer that might be factory. That would have to come out and wired around to get the systems seperated. The tranny could be set to be run with the engine management. Never done it but assuming this would be a way to do it. Have you measured to see if the LS1 and tranny will fit? What about weight difference for fr to rr balance?

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not worth the hassle!

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Or the money!!!!

Ya know what would be cool as you know what? Put a straight six in it from a 60's jag e-type (or sedan), complete with SU's, let the body ecu do it's thing. It would be the coolest xk8/6 around.