• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1998 -t0-2001 BMW M6 roadster

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
1998 -t0-2001 BMW M6 roadster

Hi I just saw one of these cars yesterday and it has struck my fancy.Anyone have any information about this beautiful beast. Or a good picture of one. I did not get permission to buy one I anounced that I will!---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: 1998 -t0-2001 BMW M6 roadster

Way cooler than an M3 or M5.

OP
Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

HI Brian thanks for that lead. Actually what I saw and want is a M6 Roadster with a hardtop on it is fantastic.--Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bret

Yoda

Ok now I realize the term “roadster” is a bit subjective and it might be a minor point to some but while I've seen M6 convertibles (rag top four seaters) I've never seen a M6 Roadster?

The only true roadsters I've seen in recent memory from BMW is the Z3, Z4 and the way too cool Z8. But using those three vehicles as a guideline for a modern BMW Roadster - I have to say that I've never seen a M6 "Roadster".

sammyb

Luke Skywalker

Tney've never made an M6 roadster nor M6 convertible. The only M-powered convertibles have been the M3 Convertible (since 1999) and the Z3 M roadster. The Z4 M roadster is due out soon.

Bugeye58

Yoda

I thought that until the new one, the last M6 was built in 1989.
I did see a spy photo of a 2007 M6 Cabrio, or at least the supposition was that the car pictured was, or would be, an M6.
Jeff

Bret

Yoda

Sammy,

Well, I’ll have to bow to your superior knowledge & wisdom as I’m not a Bemmerphile. I just thought I’d seen a few drop top 3 & 5 series with the “M” treatment. Now I might have been mistaken or those must’ve been “tuner” aftermarket amalgamations.

Anyway guess I should have just said I’d seen Rag top BMWs normally 4 or 5 passenger derivatives of their hard tin top coupes & sedans. With the only modern BMW roadsters I’ve ever seen where Z series (3, 4 & 8). As well as the new Z4 “M”.

That said I knew about the M3 Coupe but I wasn’t aware BMW ever made a Z3 Roadster with the M magic.

I've seen the z-4 roadsters, and I love those sculptured side panels, but I didn't know they were gonna do an M model of it. I've seen Z-3M coupes but not Z-3M roadsters.

G

[ QUOTE ]
I just thought I’d seen a few drop top 3 & 5 series with the “M” treatment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres never been a 5 series vert. The 5 is a 4 door, that would have made it a phaeton, and we all know the only real phaeton is the one from VW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm gonna be driving both a Z4 roadster and a 750iL on the 21st for the BMW drive for the cure (Komen breast cancer foundation fund raiser). I was hoping the M version of the Z4 would have been out by then, but appears unlike past events they aren't offering any M models for the drive. Last time I did this I got to drive the M powered Z3 coupe.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

I'm gonna be driving both a Z4 roadster and a 750iL on the 21st for the BMW drive for the cure

How,er What - explain how you get to drive other people's cars?

- Doug

swift6

Yoda

BMW and the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation team up for an event that is called "The Ultimate Drive". They use a traveling contingent of select cars and invite people to come in and drive the cars over select routes. For every mile accumulated on the cars, BMW donates a dollar to the Susan G. Komen Breats Cancer Foundation. They also have a 7-series that everyone gets to sign and then it's raffeled off to tall that participate. They also usually raise over 1 million dollars every year. It's all done with zero pressure of sales. I've done it for four years and the only follow up communication I get is for the next years sign up. Check with one of your local BMW dealerships for more info.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

G

Yeah, what Shawn said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Absolutely right, there is zero sales pressure. In fact, I don't ever recall once being approached about buying a Bimmer while at one of the drives. I think they use the dealership network simply as a convenient way to organize the thing.

I've done the drive off and on for the last few years also. Some years I miss it due to scheduling conflicts but I try to whenever possible. It's a very worthy cause that I'm happy to help in any way possible and you get to drive some nice cars as an added bonus. Plus you get a free t-shirt.

David_K

Jedi Hopeful

Keoke,

I left you a detailed post on the BMW M roadster in the Healey forum.

The one you saw had a factory hardtop thats plushly lined and comes with a glass window with defrost. They are also available in a 2 seat hardtop hatchback called the "M coupe."

1998-2000 models had a 3.2 ltr I-6 with 240 hp 225 tq 5-speed only

2001-2003 models had a 3.2 ltr I-6 with 333 hp 269 tq 5-speed only

The 2001-2003 models are much more rare and will hold their value for a long time as only few thousand were made.

The BMW E63 645i 325 hp came out in 2005 and has been recently replaced with a 650i model with a 360hp engine. The M6 which has been recently introduced has a 5.0 ltr V-10 with 507 hp and a 7-speed Sequential gearbox like an F1 car.

The 2006 BMW Z4 M roadster has been released and a Coupe is still in its final stages of development and will bow by the end of the year hopefully.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone have any information about this beautiful beast. Or a good picture of one. I did not get permission to buy one I anounced that I will!---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A good E24 M6 specimen is not going to be cheap. I'd rather have a nice E30 M3, but thats just me. Here's a photo, not mine.

8f763918d04cdeb48326dd3964b2edb6.jpg

Why not save your pennies for the new M6? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif