• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1987 xj6 questions.

JohnQ

Freshman Member
I picked it up the other day and there is a few things that need to be done.

I'm looking for a replacement center dash panel.
2dlrghl.jpg

as you can see it looks horrible. I have found dash kits online that apperently come with it but i don't need everything else.

And a center console armrest as it has a rather large crack in it :frown: .

5vxftk.jpg

If anyone can point my in the direction of where i can get these that would be great.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Let me know if you find 2 of those dash pieces - that match yours or my cars....

OP
J

JohnQ

Freshman Member
haha will do! i also forgot to mention that the back seat windows don't work. neither the front or the back switches raise or lower the windows. is there a separate fuse for those windows?

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
The switches fail early and often. Try switching them with one known to work. There are thermal circuit breakers under the passenger side dash, but I think they are left and right only. Could be wrong, and I don't have a diagram handy.
For the wood , try Pauls Jag in Florida. (Paulsjaguar.com) Matching the wood is going to be kinda hit and miss though. Still, he may still have NOS on hand. He is an OK guy, and I have done some business with him over the last 4 or 5 years. The console lids are occasionally on Ebay. There was some guy in England that had a bunch of NOS Jaguar trim. I think he puts stuff on in batches, and sometimes there is a gap. Good Luck.

OP
J

JohnQ

Freshman Member
okay update.

i opened up the center console and took a look at the switches and the rear left side window was unplugged. plugged it back in and all is well. both front and back switch. but after trying the right side even in a switch that works i still get nothing. from neither switch. i will try and trace the wires tomorrow. and see where that leads me.

D

Deleted member 8987

If no joy, pull the door panel, and with power on, have an assistant hold the switch to the place it needs to be, and hit the motor with a rubber mallet.

We have done this for ever on all sorts of motors.
What sometimes happens is wear on the brushes deposits carbon in the brush holder, jamming the brush.
When the brush wears enough, loss of contact.
Hitting it usually jars the garbage out, and it works.
However, if it does work, find a replacement, as the brushes are generally on their way out.

We do starters like that, usually get enough "start" to get them back to the shop under their own power.

KeithHodges

Freshman Member
JohnQ, just a thought, try David Boger, at www.everydayxj.com. He parts early Jags, and may just have what you need. His prices are more than reasonable. My 85 sports many used parts from him, including all seats. He's located in North Carolina. Good luck.

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Hello JohnQ,
I thought about doing this for my own '87, not veneer but at least it would improve the look....
I ran across the "English Burlwood" rubber/vinyl dash kits on ebay for a Saab I own, which didn't come with it originally, as some did. They look very authentic, so I checked out there kits for XJ's and was hoping for a real veneer kit, but the only option I found was the vinyl-type "factory match" or the English Burlwood. Try ebaying these, the first company I checked with may sell just those two pieces, which are part of an entire "overlay kit", I contacted them for a few samples and one was a nice match. Their name is MIMO USA, I have not ordered anything other than the sample splotches, but for a quick and inexpensive cosmetic fix, it may be what I do until I am ready for an entirely re-veneered dash project. Just a thought, there are other companies, some have more wood selection than MIMO I believe, but a google search of "dash kits" should give you a good start. Hope you find a great deal on a real veneer of course, but most XJ's I've seen usually go first in that area, mine unfortunately didn't stop at the center console.. Matthew's parts on ebay "try XJ6 dash" had several to choose from when I ordered a set of Kent Alloys last month from him, he is great to deal with and very fair as well. Mine is VDP, so I need a bit darker wood than what he had, and am still looking. Check him out as well, I believe he places his phone number on his ebay store. If you can't find his store, let me know and I'll email or PM a phone number to you if you want.
Best Regards,
Brian

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Matthewsparts Ebay Dashes XJ6

Try this, John, couldn't find a phone number, but you could email about the center pieces/ski slope veneer. I would think he has them as well, but can't tell by the picture.

Brian :thirsty:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Finding the pieces isn't a problem - finding ones that match the interior is!

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Tony,
With all due respect, if he has a variety in the various shades we're all familiar with, a small chip could be mailed to him or any others for a match to a good finish set for sale... Just a thought on the range of walnut shades, I agree that almost every car I see is a shade off from the last or the next. That's hand crafstmanship.
It is possible that the above ebay seller includes these in the entire veneer dashes, but I haven't asked him, so as long as the entire dash/ski/control panel areas were bought in good condition as a set, big job though, they would or should match, even though of course not original to the car. The best way and most expensive is to pull your entire walnut set and send it for a re-veneer with pictures and tell the craftsman to match it to the closest possible shade, taking into consideration fading, etc.

Did a quick reply to an old post when you first got the 85 XJ6 and were pondering wheels, wondering if you had a spare Kent alloy for sale (for a spare, nothing special needed, only have four). If you have time to check let me know. Thanks Tony,
Brian