• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1986 Silverstone Spyder

Charlie O'

Freshman Member
I was contacted yesterday by an individual in Tallahassee who recently acquired a 1986 Silverstone Spyder (www.spydercars.co.uk). He is in the process of restoring this car and is trying to find resources to assist him. If you are familiar with this car, or know someone who is, please let us know.

Thanks!
Charlie

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Looks like a Lotus to me.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A "Plus 2" or "Elan +2".

Spyder make a tube chassis as replacement for the box section 18Ga. mild steel original.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Apart from the chassis, what makes it different from any other Lotus?

Front suspension and brakes by Triumph, spares from R.D. Enterprises, Dave Bean among others in USA , and a bazillion more in UK.

What engine does it have? Lotus-Ford Twink or some other? Gearbox may be tricky, depending on what's fitted.

Remember, Colin Chapman was a Special Builder, and all early Lotus are a bit like specials - simple and straightforward for the most part. they got more complex when they started making their own engines, but I seriously doubt your friend in Florida will have too much trouble.

spyderdriver

Freshman Member
I have a Spyder Silverstone, registered as a 1998. There is not a great deal of information on these cars, but I would be willing to share what I know with your friend. I am new to this forum and do not know the basics yet. Please let me know how I can get in contact with your friend. Thanks, Charles

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Wow, what a surprise when I opened this post! There was Tony! :angel: Been a while since this post was opened I guess. Funny feeling really. Makes me wonder if he's watching over us. :smile: We miss you Tony!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No kidding. Put me in DejaVu. bad.

And Spyder make replacement frames for Lotus cars. Never heard of a "Silverstone Spyder" as a car...

spyder

Freshman Member
Hi everyone. My name is Geoff and I own a Silverstone, chassis #12. A special "hello" to spyderdriver (Chuck) from Toledo.
The Silverstone was produced in very limited numbers by Spyder Cars in Peterborough, England in the late 1980's. Only 23 were made, or 28 depending on who you are talking to. The chassis is second to none in terms of design and execution. The whereabouts of many are known but by no means all.
This recent discovery means that at least 5 are in the US.
There is one in France and one in Andorra.
One recently turned up that was completely built but never used. It is now owned by my friend Chris who is going through the process of registering it for road use in the UK. It is absolutely mint and looks brand new. A thread regarding this car and the Silverstone in general can be found on "locostbuilders.co.uk"
Many of the cars were originally fitted with the Toyota 2TG 1600 Twincam engine with it's matching T50 gearbox. Mine is now fitted with the Toyota 3SGE 2 litre engine.
I would be glad to help the new owner in any way I can. We have some literature and build info. We know where the donor parts were sourced from.

First 2 pics are my car. Next is Chris's.
The blue one is Chucks.

Geoff.

Picture900.jpg

Picture888-1.jpg

IMG_2743-2.JPG

IMG_2744 small.JPG

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

otga_spyder01_otga_01.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
What is this? I know.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't know but I like it.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
It is a Healey Silverstone! Rare and expensive!

Here's a site to explain it better. 105 were built and on this site it gives the chassis numbers and past and present owners, if the car still exists. As an example, #105 hasn't been heard of since 1952! PJ

https://www.healey-classic.de/register/index.html

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Another view of this rare and beautiful car.