• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1980 Mini 998 w/Automatic

MiamiSprite

Hello,

This is my frst post in the mini forum. Having a 1962 Austin Healey Sprite, I normally don't venture into the mini side. The reason for this departure is that I am considering the purchase of a 1980 Mini with a 998 and automatic.

I could not find much on automatics and was hoping to hear from forum members on the automatic in a 1980 mini.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,

Carlos
1962 AH Sprite

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Hopefully, the oil was changed in that car *very* often.

That car uses an unusual auto trans that shares engine oil with the trans oil (does not use separate ATF oil for the trans). If the car has been cared for, it may be OK, but in my experience, the auto trans was much more fragile than the manual trans.

One other point. Technically, the 1980 cars were never imported to the US but some made to the US anyway by "various means". :wink:
Be <span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span> sure that this car has legal paperwork.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Ditto on the paperwork, and specifically check that it's not a "recommissioned" car. they are highly illegal. Sort of like, "1964 Mini, brought up to 1998 specs"

Regarding the auto box. I think that's the same one used on the Austin America. True that they share the engine oil, but if cared for properly (oil changes) the box is quite durable. I never thought of them as a "downgrade" since they worked so well, and were actually fun in their own way. Of course I still prefer to use a clutch.

OP
M

MiamiSprite

Thanks! - I'll check the paper work as the car I'm considering is RHD and definitely imported.

I drove it this morning and was pleasantly surprised. Up-shifts were smooth while the downshifts were more noticeable than a modern automatic. Performance wise it was better than expected with only a bit less acceleration off the line.

Thanks for your input!

Carlos
1962 AH Sprite
??1980 Mini 998 Auto??

OP
M

MiamiSprite

Forgot to mention that while the car drove very smooth, it did have a moderate vibration at ~ 50 mph. The seller said he beleived it was the tires, maybe out of balance.

I asked him to balance the tires and he said he did and that it did help. According to seller it now has no vibration up to 60 mph. Maybe it's the tires or maybe something else.

Anything else - other than tires - that I should be concerned with? And how easy it to find 12-inch tires?

Thanks,

Carlos
1962 AH Sprite
??1980 Mini 998 Auto??

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag

Hedgehog

Jedi Hopeful
Carlos,

12" rims and tires are an easy and straight on change. However some will argue the handling is better if left on 10s. I've not had any auto minis so can't say much to that. I've added a couple of links with the names of the people I deal with at those locations. Lots of knowledge and more than happy to help out the Mini crowd.

Steve Gibbs:
https://coopertune.com/forum/index.php

Graham Reid:
https://www.heritagegarage.com/-/

Jack Holdaway:
https://www.7ent.com/

V

vagt6

Welcome to the forum!

That MINI sounds interesting, but for my money I'd wait for a Mini with a 1275 engine. More power, more aftermarket support, easier to modify, and probably easier for resale.

eBay has many nice examples, generally, and there are a few reputable importers around the country. There's even a shop in Canada that will custom build a Mini from scratch for you for approximately $12-15,000 U.S., and sells them through a NY-based dealership so you have a U.S. title. His eBay user name is "motohealer". Check it out.

Good luck, let us know . . .

OP
M

MiamiSprite

Thanks to ALL for your help. This is the car I'm considering:

1980 Red Mini Automatic (32,500 miles)
ENGINE: A+ 998cc with a 1.50 SU4
Front 8.4” disk brakes and rear drum brakes (Aprox 75% life).
5.5” x 12” Superlight Wheels, Tires (145/70R12)
Floors are in excellent shape with no rust, very solid.
Original wooden Dashboard with six original gauge set-up.
All gauges working at 100%. All switches working at 100%, no fault

https://picasaweb.google.com/alfremor68/1980RedAutomaticMini?feat=directlink

What would be a fair price?

Thanks,

Carlos
1962 AH Sprite
??1980 Mini 998 Auto??

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
The car looks very fine from the pictures. Really quite nice.

I prefer the 998, of course it gives better fuel economy and who needs to scream down the road all the time? It's really an overbored 948.

I see the heater has been removed. I'm sure the carpet has been changed from original, but it looks good enough the way it is.

I was just wondering about the originality of the dash and brake booster, both of which could indicate a re-commissioning. The commission number plate is missing from the slam panel. They really do look more like a later model, but what do I know? I am not really into newer Minis. Actually our British members Rosalind or others would probably know much more details about later models than I do. There are however many examples to compare with on various net sites, and the local (or international) Mini club should be a great help.

mobile.de

Mini club Denmark

Local Danish want ads

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
It looks like a later model Mini to me. The dashboard is not original, at least not for a 1980 car, and the rear plate is not from a car of that vintage. The 'T' suffix was issued 1978/79.

From the badging, the grille etc it looks as though it's a Mk VI made in the 90's, "backdated" to get it into the USA. I would date it as being a '93....... The vendor may not even be aware of its true vintage unless he bought it over in the UK and had it imported.

Check the condition of the front and rear subframes, as these are critical. Also the sills. The car looks wonderful from the photos but a UK-market car from 1980 WILL have rust unless it's had a complete restoration which reinforces the suspicion that it's a later model.

Fair price? Over here in the USA prices are vastly inflated so I can't really comment. MUCH cheaper to buy one in the UK and pay to have it shipped. Just my opinion.

rosalind

Country flag
That car was first registered in my town :smile: It probably came from a Garage called Henlys on the Weedon Road. They have been gone for a while and it was taken over by an Audi dealer. I remember seeing Mini's in the showroom Window. By the way the T registration suffix is September 1978 to the end of August 1979.

This little mini is far from original , but looks like its just had lots and lots of nice things added - full interior, wheels, bumpers, front grill, mirrors, chromed arches, power brakes, alternator, etc, ect. Nothing I wouldn't want on mine given the opportunity. OK, its not original - but that wouldn't worry me, Mini's are supposed to be played with:smile: I would be very happy driving it.

The indicators are correct for the year though :wink:

My Mayfair is a 998 Automatic and as much fun to drive as my manual mini sky.

OP
M

MiamiSprite

Wow - Thanks for the info!

I went ahead and purchased the car and can say the automatic is a blast!

It's far from perfect and not exactly original - but having lots of fun with it. Definitely has some rust, nothing too bad. Soon I'll start working on it (rust) but for now I just want to drive it (while I finish the Sprite).

Thanks for all the great input!

Carlos
Miami, FL
62 AH Sprite
+/-80 Mini