• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 1975 TR6 Ventilated Rotors

alansimon

Hi,

Years ago, SAH in England offered a ventilated front brake rotor kit that included caliper spacers to increase the caliper width allowing for the thicker rotor. This kit was for the older style brake calipers. I now have a 1975 TR6 and am wondering if anyone knows if someone makes the caliper spacers for the newer style calipers. I am aware of the four piston caliper conversions, but I have the rebuilt later TR6 stock rotors and the SAH conversion kit for the older caliper, so I am looking for a spacer set for the newer stock calipers.

Thank you.

Alan

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Hi Alan,
I'm surprised to see you have not had any replies to this question.
I am not able to supply the information you need, but remember reading advice somewhere not to split the calipers as the correct torque settings are unknown for putting them back together. It also sounds to me, with no engineering background I should add, like a bit of a questionable thing to do. I would be concerned abot caliper flex under hard braking; I assume you intend to brake hard or why would you want to change to ventilated rotors.
It might be possible to use a set of older calipers which your kit will work with, rather than looking for a spacer kit for the newer calipers.
Otherwise I would tend to go with the well-known Toyota conversion. In any case, my experience has been that the stock brakes with suitable pads and cross-drilled rotors work well even on most race tracks unless the layout is a real "stop and go" type.
Anyway, good luck with the project. Simon.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
i think you will have to go to a machine shop and have them made. they will have to be made out of a fairly hard material (not aluminum) and ground flat, BUT the bolts will need to be longer and VERY high grade (not just grade 8)that matches the profile of the existing (including shoulder). i wouldn't bother.
rob

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Alan,

I've considered upgrading my TR4's brakes, so have done a little research into this. Since my car uses 16P calipers, I'm uncertain if any of this applies to the 16PB caliper with metric mounting, like those on your car. I would guess that spacers and the four assembly bolts are same on 16P and 16PB, but don't know that for sure. Here's what little I know...

Hi-Spec Motorsport in England might be your best option. They offer brake upgrade kits for TR and will do the work to space original TR calipers. I'm not certain if you can just buy the spacers and necessary bolts from them, separate from their kits.

I know they offer a kit for home installation, that includes spacers for calipers, new bolts, rotors and EBC pads. They also offer kits with choices of at least three different versions of their own 4-piston calipers. Finally, they offer a kit that includes the service of widening your stock calipers, where you'd ship them in to have the work done. I believe the rotor supplied, in the kits that include one, are all EBC 347 ventilated (22mm thick). I think they use various EBC pads for most of their kits, or at least offer them as an option.

https://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/ is their website. I found some older discussion on the Internet of delays getting parts from them, hopefully that's all sorted out now.

Racetorations offers a high performance big brake setup by AP, I believe, which are very good but very expensive kits that include everything. Still, it might be worth asking about spacers and bolts, since Darryl seems to be able to get most anything for TRs. https://www.racetorations.co.uk/ is the website.

Richard at Goodparts seems very knowledgeable about TR6 in particular, and might be a good source of info, even if he can't supply the parts. www.goodparts.com

British Parts Northwest might be another source. www.bpnorthwest.com

Revington TR seems only to supply standard thickness disc parts, but also makes a lot of parts and might offer what you need. www.revingtontr.com

Cambridge Motorsport is another possibility, but also doesn't seem to offer any big brake parts. https://shop.cambridgemotorsport.com/

Moss Europe might offer something, www.moss-europe.co.uk Generally speaking, they tend to have more high performance items than Moss USA.

Moss USA offers a "high performance" brake kit of their own for TR3-4A, but this does not include calipers or ventilated discs and doesn't appear to offer individual pieces from that kit. They don't appear to offer a similar kit for TR250/5/6. Still, it might be worth asking, www.mossmotors.com

Simon's point is one I've often heard. It seems to be generally discouraged to split original TR calipers, probably just because it's major safety issue. The manufacturer probably wanted to encourage sending calipers for factory direct or authorized repair. So, specifications for the process were never freely given and some of the necessary parts are hard to find. The bolts are special and two different diameter are used. They need to be torqued to two different settings, depending upon size. When we start talking about widening the calipers, longer bolts are necessary. The o-ring seal used in the calipers is a bit hard to find, but I understand Moss has them. Instead of the usual one-per-caliper, you'll need two for each caliper when doing the spacing.

All the technical info for splitting and rebuilding calipers used to be posted on the Buckeye Triumphs website, but was taken down on the advice of attorneys, because of liability, or so the story goes.

Still, a lot of folks do split TR calipers without any problem, for various reasons. I think some do so mistakenly, thinking it will somehow make rebuilding them easier.

Rob is right about the bolts being special, and possible problems finding correct, longer ones to use with spacers.

I think by the time I convert to 22mm ventilated discs on my TR4, I will just go to Wilwood Superlite II or one of the Hi-Spec calipers at the same time, to help offset the significant weight penalty of the heavier rotors.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
you have to ask yourself,,, how fast am i going to go. do i like to aproach every corner i take ,braking at the last possible second, that will give me that chill and shot of adrenalin from braking really late. will i be constantly braking repetitively from 100 mph plus such that my rotors will not cool down in time for the next corner? if yes, go wilwood,ap,hi-spec. if you just want brakes for regular traffic, new high performance brake pads, ss reinforced teflon brake lines, cold air ducting, can go a long way to improve brakes. wilwood superlites on vented rotors can be cost effective. there is a guy that puts together a kit in the states for the tr6. i think you need aftermarket wheels to fit them though(i don't know). i'm still designing my own set up using wilwood parts and some custom mounts to fit inside tr4 wheels with spacers to offset the wheels, dynapro calipers that have dust seals. behrents parts online has good prices on wilwood parts.
rob
ps-A.M. -i agree

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
the guy with the kits-tr6car11. it looks like he makes the hats & wheel spacers. personally i would try to buy only those parts (hats)and source the rest myself.
rob

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee
why dont you guys try jaguar xj6 series 3 calipers? i believe they will bolt right up although they may be heavier they have 4 pistons and are wide
Randy

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
You could just do the Toyota conversion: 4 pot calipers from an '89 Toyota 4-cyl 4-Runner, vented discs from a '86-'88 Toyota Cressida. You will need to have a machine shop open the center of the roters to fit the Triumph hub, and have a custom brake line made to fit the caliper, but the rest is basically bolt on.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I have a set of four piston Toyota calipers that I got from work (I work for an electrical and caliper rebuilder). What I need are the hydraulic lines to the caliper. Does anyone have any specifics on size and shape or pictures?? I can measure the thread fitting OK, but need to know how the lines are made up because it looks to me that there has to be weird bend in the line coming from the caliper to make it work.

Edit: By the way, this is on a TR3A.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
some of us want to improve ultimate grip and ultimate stopping (brakes). any weight reduction of the suspension parts, wheels, tires, calipers, rotors, hubs, uprights, etc improves grip, especially on bumpy surfaces. the trade off in brakes is braking power, modulation, feel, repeatability, vs weight.
otherwise the jag or toyota will be the best bang for the buck.
rob

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
I have a set of four piston Toyota calipers that I got from work (I work for an electrical and caliper rebuilder). What I need are the hydraulic lines to the caliper. Does anyone have any specifics on size and shape or pictures?? I can measure the thread fitting OK, but need to know how the lines are made up because it looks to me that there has to be weird bend in the line coming from the caliper to make it work.

Edit: By the way, this is on a TR3A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to https://www.turbo-tr6.info/ and scroll down the left side menu until you can click on "TR6 Brake Mods" that will have a description and diagram of what you will need in the way of brake pipe mods and such

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Whoa..,Thanks michalotti_tr. that's exactly what I was looking for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
no worries, glad I could help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif