• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 1972 Triumph TR6 fuse question

roofman

Jedi Knight
After reading the recent posts about Lucas vs. american style glass fuses I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif got paranoid and checked mine. The P.O. has all american glass fuses. My question is this:
From top to bottom, what size lucas fuses are supposed to be in this car. All appears to be stock.

G

35 amp Lucas fuses. Buy em by the dozen, they are cheap enough.

The Lucas will burn at the rate posted, the Buss will go way, way past that and potentially burn your harness.

Bill

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight
All 4 are 35 amp Lucas?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
35 amp Lucas fuses. Buy em by the dozen, they are cheap enough.

The Lucas will burn at the rate posted, the Buss will go way, way past that and potentially burn your harness.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

That will not occur if you pick the correct Bus Fuse matching the Lucas characteristics.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

G

That certainly is doable but at about $.75 a pop, why not keep it all British? I have had the Lucas fuses last for years, in spite of the Prince of Darkness dark cloud.

Either way works. I just prefer Lucas.

Bill

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
The equivalant Buss American for Lucas British is 15amp 25/35 that will work just as well & readily available.The British is 171/2/ 35amp....so 15amp 35 is well within the parameter.....so save on the shipping from British Wiring to boot.You can buy a tin of 6 Buss fuses over the counter.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Either way works. I just prefer Lucas.

[/ QUOTE ]Same here! Heck, I still occasionally stumble across parts cars with Lucas fuses still in them. And some of my collection are not just the 35 amp/17 amp continuous ones with the paper inside; rather, they're only marked Lucas 35 amp!

Over the years I've actually blown very, very few fuses...unless I had a really bad short in a circuit. Of course, after the second fuse blows (usually pretty quickly) on that same circuit, it's time to find out why! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

[quote Of course, after the second fuse blows (usually pretty quickly) on that same circuit, it's time to find out why! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. I have seen where some souls have actually, out of frustration or ignorance, blown a couple of Lucas fuses, replaced them with "readily available" buss fuses, and think they solved the problem. And for a while they have; that is, solved the problem of burning fuses. The American fuse holds the circuit open for a long time, till the wiring harness can't take it anymore, then it becomes the fuse! Again, the best protection is to buy a handful of Lucas fuses, maintain your harness, and you will never have to change another one (fuse or harness).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gifBill