• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A 1965 TR4 in pieces, What should we do with it?

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
We are picking up a TR4 on Friday that has sat since 1994. It is in pieces: fenders are off and stripped to bare metal, rest of the car is stripped. Body panels are in pretty good shape, no collision damage visible. Needs new interior, tires, engine is out and apart, almost ready for rebuild. Non-OD transmission. Lots of new parts but the rubber bits probably should not be used since they are 20 years old. We are trying to decide to make it a driver, or sell it as parts.
Minimum investment to make it a driver:
engine and tranny- $3K
Interior- $2.5 K
paint- $ 2K even if I paint it myself, needs a value
Bumpers, ok, polish and see how they look.
Needs new dash, or new veneer
Radiator???
So lets say at least 10K to make it a good driver. What would it sell for these days? Or what would it sell for as a project?

Jerry
TR3A
Mini 68
AH BJ8

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
paint- $ 2K even if I paint it myself, needs a value
FWIW, I paid less than that earlier this year, even including $800 worth of bodywork, a painted racing stripe and stripping to bare metal. Not as good as a $10K paint job, of course, but good enough for a driver, IMO. I R&Rd most of the brightwork myself, but they didn't discount for that.

Sorry, no help on what it's worth. TR3 prices have been going up rapidly the past few years, but I have no idea how well the TR4 has followed along.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Yes, I painted my TR3A so I know that I can do it for less, but I figure in an estimate anyway. If nothing else, it will pay for new trim pieces around the window. It was caught in a hail storm in Colorado that put some dents into the trim. Overall, it is in better shape than the TR3A I just finished. the owner just wants his garage back now, since he does not see himself ever working on the car again. Too bad. I think I could get it to condition 2 as per the chart no problem, but I can't paint well enough for condition 1.

Jerry

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yep, the jump in value from a condition 2 to condition 1 is always big irrespective of the marque -- and with good reason. It costs a lot of $$$ and time to get a very good car to the top level... and the only way to keep it there is not to drive it.

Pictures if you get it and hopefully progress reports as it goes back together.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Jerry,

2yrs ago I bought a '65TR4, matching #, complete, together car that needed everything for $800.00! I sold it 3 wks later for $3500.00! That was about the going cost for a TR4 in its cond. Yeah, I stole it! I was in the right place at the right time.

Most people tend to shy away from cars that are apart cause of the expense in potentially having to buy a whole bunch of new things. With the fenders off; I feel it's one of the best things since everything is out in the open.

Anyways; A friend of mine is currently selling a '65TR4 in very, very nice driver cond. He's owned the car almost from new & is asking $20K. He had it adv. on the Triumph Exp. & other venues with no success yet.

There you have my opinion. LOL whichever way you decide to go.

Russ

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The Hagerty site offers a valuation tool that I find useful:

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/hvt/vehiclesearch/Report?vc=874279
Cool tool! Thanks, Geo.

Looks like I'd better up my insurance policy again; before the next idiot tries to park on top of me!

My selfish preference would be to see the car put back together rather than parted out. Parts are plentiful, drivable cars are finite.

I agree 110%. But unfortunately not enough to pony up the cash and take on another project.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
That estimate is useful, even though it is not sold yet. If I plan on selling for $16K and don't spend too much, it may make a good project. But I have to finish my mini, and fix the differential on my Austin Healey first. So that will give me time to think about the TR4.
jerry

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Jerry, you nailed it when you said "minimum investment" initially. Oh how many times I've been wrong about that one. The problem with any project like this is there isn't anyway to know how much it costs to do it right until you've actually done it. And unless you do it right its hard to recoup your investment of hard money much less time.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Most of us are hobbists, so I would not even think about recouping the time spent on it. Mine was a basket case when i bought and I have about 10 parttime years in the showroom condition restoration. But that is what I wanted and wanted to do. Almost finished and am looking forward towards driving it. I'm with Geo, hope it gets put into drivable condition and kept on the road. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it!

Tinkerman