• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1965 IMP Purchase

MGBRacer

Freshman Member
I have always liked the Sunbeam IMP and thought it would make a fun vintage racer. I have found one that looks nice but I'm wondering how difficult it is to find parts for in the US or the UK? This is a 1965.

Any advice and value range for this year is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Robert,

You might to pull out your magnifying glass, but it is possible to track down parts.

There is a following (albeit fairly small) for Imp's over here. I know of someone else in Quebec who recently purchased an Imp in New York state somewhere, in discussion on another mailing list I'm on (one dedicated more to British sedans) someone indicated that there was a possible source of parts in Montreal, Quebec up in Canada.

And I believe there is one BCF member in Michigan who used to own an Imp racer/street car, so he would probably be of help as well.

Anyway, you should check out the British Saloon Car Club of Canada - www.geocities.com/motorcity/7967 - a North American-wide club/registry for owners of orphan British cars.

And Imp's are very cool
thumbsup.gif
They aren't spotted very often here in North America, but back in my Ontario days over the past three years I often saw a beautifully restored 1965 Imp run by one of the Saloon Car Club members, his was set up for street use only.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My friend who has the foreign car salvage yard near me has an "Imp on a Stick" out front of his entrance!

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The Imp is a great little car. It is considered by many to be superior to the Mini in terms of performance and handling (!) but it suffered through lack of development (engines overheating) and conservatism......buyers of Hillman cars were just not used to rear-engines made of aluminium when they were used to the Hillman Minx........which is why the Hunter and the Avenger were relatively successful, even though they were not as innovative and not as good.

In the UK at the time, buyers were much more brand-loyal, something that is still evident in some parts of the USA, and if a particular model was different, there were not enough free-thinkers (for want of a better term) around to make it a success. The Mini was the exception because (a) it was a bargain, every one being sold at a loss and (b) it became trendy...suddenly it was the accessory that everyone who was anyone (or who thought that they were) had to have one.

In short, go for it! A great little car, fun to drive and different enough to stand out.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Fun for you!

I really like the Imp.

Post some photo's!

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
Although I have a front radiator in mine, these days new high efficiency units are available that bolt in in place of the original radiator. Many are finding they no longer need the front radiator.

Well worth a try before you go cutting up sheetmetal.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Steve said: In the UK at the time, buyers were much more brand-loyal, something that is still evident in some parts of the USA, and if a particular model was different, there were not enough free-thinkers (for want of a better term) around to make it a success. The Mini was the exception because (a) it was a bargain, every one being sold at a loss and (b) it became trendy...suddenly it was the accessory that everyone who was anyone (or who thought that they were) had to have one.

<hr></blockquote>

Right and wrong at the same time... putting the U.K. aside, the last Mini "officially" sold in the United States was 1967, by which time only the Cooper or Cooper S was offered, while the Mini was sold continually from 1959 to 1980 up here in Canada.

I'm not sure if it was merely lack of sales or other legislative reasons that Mini sales in the States stopped that year, but my understanding is that Mini sales in North America (save the 1970's Mini 1000 model up in Canada) were fairly low.

Probably 99% of all classic Mini's in the States have been brought in from either Canada or elsewhere, there are very few LHD 1960's Mini's (ie. ones sold new in North America) left anywhere on the continent.

However sales of the Mini 1000 in Canada throughout the 1970's were very strong, and that shows in the number of them still left up here.

racing girl

Jedi Knight
I love the Imps and would own another one in a heartbeat, my family had one when I was about 9 or 10! My Ginetta G15 has the Imp engine in it.

Imp spares are fairly plentiful if you know who to ask! In the UK, Bob Allen, the Imp Club spares co-ordinator can find you just about anything and is incredibly helpful. SpeedySpares are pretty good, and there are others. The Imp Club has contacts in the US, I've seen people advertise Imps and Imp parts for sale in several states. There's also a large contingent of Imp owners in Australia & New Zealand too, you'd be surprised how many of these cars are alive and kicking. And as Sunbeammad points out, new items are available to make owning and running the cars a little easier. Still, you're not dealing with an MGB or a Spitfire, so you won't find parts sitting on street corners, but there's enough out there to make owning an Imp a lot of fun.

Let us know if you decide to buy it!!

RG
england.gif

G

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tony barnhill:
My friend who has the foreign car salvage yard near me has an "Imp on a Stick" out front of his entrance!<hr></blockquote>

looks like a big Impcycle