• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1961 bugeye gets a makeover

1riktigsvensk

Freshman Member
A car that has been in the family since 1970 or so.....my father-in-law has had it forever. Has undergone several restorations, and paint jobs. The car was even rolled at one point!!!! Now, she is undergoing a full facelift. She is being stripped down to the bare bones. She will be media blasted for starters. Then all the rust will be repaired. Right now I know she needs left and right floor pans. A-pillars, rear shock mounts, and some minor things here and there. The engine runs, but the rings are toast. She blows oil straight out the tail pipe. So the engine will be completely rebuilt. Bored to next oversize...currently bored 20 over, so it'll be bored to 40 over. Head rebuilt, and possibly mildly ported. Mostly cleaning up casting imperfections, and improving port radiuses. Nothing major. She currently has a hotter cam installed, along with a knock off Weber downdraft. The carb will be replaced with most likely a Weber 45DCOE. Then a performance header will be installed.

As far as the suspension goes, the front will stay the way it is. For the rear I am pondering a four link setup with coilovers. Space is limited, so there are several options that I am calculating on right now. More to come on that.

The interior will be treated to a set of new carpets, and a good cleaning.

As far as the body goes....she will remain red. However a different shade of red. Most likely House of Kolor Candy apple red over pagan gold base.

The complete album is available at;

https://www.pbase.com/1riktigsvensk/1961_austin_healey_bugeye

From a distance she's a stunner....

111397225.jpg

111397226.jpg

111397227.jpg

111397229.jpg

111397232.jpg

111397237.jpg

111397238.jpg

111397241.jpg

Rust in the usual places....

111397242.jpg

111397244.jpg

Country flag
Amazing how well rust can be hidden from a casual observer.

Looks like a good project.

Have fun and keep us posted.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Looks like she was originally iris blue like mine. Picked mine up in Eureka. Check those hindges out, they may have to be replaced. I'm going to get a price to blast mine in the next few days (now that it is dry). These guys are great for any advice you need.

Paul

OP

1riktigsvensk

Freshman Member
Best quote I've gotten for blasting thus far was $550 here in Sacramento. Then $200 for priming her. Since I would be painting her myself regardless, I'll prime her myself as well.

apbos said:
Looks like she was originally iris blue like mine. Picked mine up in Eureka. Check those hindges out, they may have to be replaced. I'm going to get a price to blast mine in the next few days (now that it is dry). These guys are great for any advice you need.

Paul

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have her primed with epoxy two part primer. No more rust ever.

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
FRom the pics it doesn't look like the spring box is to bad I hope not If it is you will be a blackbelt in plasma cutting and welding when your done. Measure measure again before you go to far.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A good project -- good luck with it! Plenty to keep you busy.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
It's going to love you for all this TLC. From the pics
it looks like a future owner is making dibs already.
She's going to love you for fixing up her Sprite too. :wink:
Keeping it in family is very good Karma.
Congratulations and good luck on your project. :cheers:

OP

1riktigsvensk

Freshman Member
The floor around it is shot. Needs to come out. I got the shock mount out today....as well as brakes, and driveshaft on the right hand side. For some reason the lower bolt holding the leaf to the rearend wont budge. Also, I pulled the gas tank....and emptied it. For the first coupla' seconds clear gas was coming out then a bunch of sludge. Once the tank was empty, I noticed a hole in it. The weird thing is, there was nothing coming out of it when it was in the car?? Do these have a liner?? Also, do you have to cut the leaf mount out, or is there a way to unbolt it and pull it out?

Thanks guys....this is the perfect resource for me. I have built cars before, but it's been pretty much only Volvos. Plus, I recently rebuilt a Triumph motorcycle. If you look under my root gallery, you can click on the sub galleries and see my previous projects.

https://www.pbase.com/1riktigsvensk

texas_bugeye said:
FRom the pics it doesn't look like the spring box is to bad I hope not If it is you will be a blackbelt in plasma cutting and welding when your done. Measure measure again before you go to far.

OP

1riktigsvensk

Freshman Member
Some more pics.....

111694987.jpg

Rusted out battery tray....

111694988.jpg

Rear end is out.

111694989.jpg

Hard to see well....the sun was screwing with my focus....

111694990.jpg

50 years later it comes out.

111694991.jpg

Rear end has new brakes...just needs a cleanup. I will take it apart, sandblast, and rebuild.

111694992.jpg

Right side 1/4 leaf didn't fare that well.....

111694993.jpg

Built a set of "jackstands" if you will....basically to get her up a bit when I work on her. Now she sits 34" off the floor.

111694994.jpg

Getting ready to lift her. Convenient to have a heavy duty hoist every now and then.

111694995.jpg

I CAN FLY!!!!!!!!

111694996.jpg

On the stands. Strapped the front down to be on the safe side.

111694997.jpg

url]

OP

1riktigsvensk

Freshman Member
Funds are at a very limited supply at the moment. Thus very little progress. We are celebrating our 10th anniversary in July....and I just dropped 3 grand on jewelry for the wife. Then, we are going to Sweden for christmas and new years. I think I need to sell a kidney or something.

Country flag
For motivation snd inspiration, watch the Wreck Rescue Frogeye episode. You're light years ahead of where she started!! :laugh:

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There,

Best Wishes with your project. Looks like a lot of fun to me.

Question: What kind of Dual Tip exhaust do you have?

Thanx, Russ

Mio

Country flag
1riktigsvensk said:
Funds are at a very limited supply at the moment. Thus very little progress.

Part of the appeal of project cars is that one can work as funds, time, and significant others permit. Secondly, while you may not be making physical progress on the car you are nonetheless making knowledge-based progress through insights and experiences shared by others on this forum. It is this latter aspect which will prove crucially important as you get back to actually working on the car.

Best of luck!

Mike

OP

1riktigsvensk

Freshman Member
Well....the project has been on hold for a while. I was involved in a bad car accident on father's day last summer. Broke my arm, plus a bunch of other injuries. Now I just went through surgery on the arm that I broke....and hopefully once that is healed, and recovered....I can get back to this project. I have however decided on Mustang II front spindles and disc brakes. Installed with custom a-arms, and coilovers. Then 4 link rear suspension. Also, a 1380cc kit. I recently picked up supplies to build a rotisserie....so as soon as I can start wrenching again.....I'll get going.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Can you detail type name of the 4 link rear set up with coil overs you are referring to.And are the coil overs adjustable for ride height?