• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 1960 TR 3A vacuum advance line installation

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I have the missing parts to install the vacuum line to the front carb. Is there any trick to doing that?
It looks straight forward but I have had problems on previous attempts.

Your thoughts would be greatly apprecuiated.
Tinkerman

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
If you have the threaded part for the carburator end, that is the critical part. The other end goes to the distributor and can be done with a push on piece of tubing if you do not have the end piece. The tube is about 1/8 inch diameter and is held by a rubber piece in a metal hook off the themostat housing. You can see the parts in the MOSS book. So the only hard part is screwing into the bottom of the front carb. That is not bad as long as the threads are good.

Jerry

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dick --
I don't know the nature of your problems, but I do have a "trick." Leave some extra length in the line to make a loop in it, like the picture. This relieves stress on it when the distributor is turned to adjust timing.

Attachments

• Arrow.jpg
    Arrow.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 96

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Important to make sure the join under the front carby is airtight, or the vacuum won't work and the carbies can't be tuned properly. Early cars had a brass adapter screwed into the carby body which must be fitted first and made tight. The tiny fibre sealing washer is usually long gone. Then a nut and olive on the vacuum tube attaches the tube to the brass adaptor. Later cars had a push on carby fitting which is a better way to go. Early dizzy canisters had a thread fitting for the vacuum tube - later were push-on.

Check the dizzy vacuum canister is operating - gas vapours can harden the diaphragm so it can't flex, rendering it useless. The vacuum advance only helps with better gas mileage at highway speed, so isn't vital. If it's removed the hole under the front carby must be plugged.

Viv

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If y'all are really talking about a Vacuum Advance set up..should you be using the vacuum from the bottom of the carb ?

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
thanks for the comments.

"If y'all are really talking about a Vacuum Advance set up..should you be using the vacuum from the bottom of the carb ?" It is A Factory set up Poolboy and I really am trying to keep it "as it came off the dealership floor". Doing that can be a real pain at times, sigh.

Dick

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If you are talking about the brass adapter, I removed the carb just to be able to see clearly and complete to my satisfaction.
Sometime a few minutes spent saves many minutes of aggrevation.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If y'all are really talking about a Vacuum Advance set up..should you be using the vacuum from the bottom of the carb ?
SU H6 throttle plates turn the opposite direction compared to later carbs. So the vacuum advance fitting is indeed on the bottom (and AFAIK none of them ever had a retard fitting).

BTW, a 1/4" drive, 1/2" flex socket makes the carb R&R a lot easier. With a little fiddling, it will fit in between the carb body & float bowl, to let you remove the front lower nut easily. Works for the other nuts, too.