• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1960 Bugeye

nas90tdi

It has been suggested that I move this thread to here,so:

I just bought my first Healey. I have had a couple of MG's and Triumphs over the years, and dozens of Land Rovers. So the British cars aren't a complete mystery to me.
But I would love a few pointers and ideas on things I need to be on the look out for.
A little About the car: 1960 Bugeye. Interior is missing except for the dash. Which is complete in very good shape. The seats have been redone but never installed in the car. Car was in storage for the last 10 years. Southern California car. So the only rust on the car is a small hole under the drivers feet about 2" maybe. It was painted at some point in the distant past. Paint is still in very good shape. Hood is nice with no rips or wear really. It cranks and idles exceptionally well. Under bonnet it pretty tidy, need a little cleaning up and heater duct replaced. But overall seems pretty solid mechanically. And body is in fantastic shape.

I would like to rebuild the car into more of a driver then show car. How important on these is it to remain true to stock. Especially in terms of interior. It isn't there and unfortunately I am not super familiar with the Bugeye original interior. Also, any suggestions as to the best source for the interior parts. It seems Moss Motors has most of the interior parts, but I have never dealt with them for this many parts. I have just bought an item or two over the years.
I also am somewhat curious on anyones thoughts on the bumpers/overriders. I do not have those. I have seen cars with and without.
Also I was considering doing the tube shock conversion. it seems like it is simpler and cheaper to maintain. Any thoughts?

Also does anyone have in pictures of the boot space? I have searched a bit, but haven't come up with a direct picture of the interior of the boot.

Oh , and by the way, I picked it up for 4000.00. That seemed to be an outstanding deal. Was it?
I will get some picture up in a few days.Because, as we all know, a post with out pictures is worthless

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome to BCF Spridget List. Lots of knowledgeable folks here who will help. We need a name though, it helps us to be friendlier.

Try this link. A beautiful BE that just got sold by Leo. https://www.flickr.com/photos/speichinger. Also Google Ray's MG - Ray has a very extensive website showing his restoration. David Doan on this list has a pretty good blog with lots of pictures going as he works through retoration on his BE. Me I've just sold my '68 with BE Bonnet and about to reassemble in the Spring, a '59 that has been apart since 1985.

And we always like pics of your car. Please send.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
AHSpares in the UK has quality interior stuff.
I went without the front over-riders. Like chocolate vs vanilla. Whatever you like.
Remaining true to stock is the same deal. Whatever floats yer boat.
Mine is a bit off from stock and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I suspect purists cringe at the sight of my Sprite. I like it so that is all that matters.
It makes the old girl more fun to drive with a little hot rodding thrown in.
Well executed, a custom fetches about the same as stock. Maybe even more.
Depends on the buyer.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I would like to rebuild the car into more of a driver then show car. How important on these is it to remain true to stock. Especially in terms of interior. It isn't there and unfortunately I am not super familiar with the Bugeye original interior. Also, any suggestions as to the best source for the interior parts. It seems Moss Motors has most of the interior parts, but I have never dealt with them for this many parts. I have just bought an item or two over the years.
I also am somewhat curious on anyones thoughts on the bumpers/overriders. I do not have those. I have seen cars with and without.
Also I was considering doing the tube shock conversion. it seems like it is simpler and cheaper to maintain. Any thoughts?

First off, congratulations on the Bugeye purchase! They're neat little cars and a real hoot to drive. We definitely need some pictures.

A few thoughts, in no particular order:

I'd vote to keep the lever shocks. PeterC here on the forum rebuilds them (World Wide Imports). Once rebuilt they'll likely outlive you and work fine on the car.

Bumpers are a personal thing -- I like the front bumper on a Bugeye, many take them off.

I've bought *a lot* of parts from Moss over the years. Generally their quality is good as is their customer service. There are other sources for parts such as AH Spares that can have alternatives. Don't be afraid to look at the UK sources, as shipping isn't too bad and sometimes the deals are worth it. Moss usually does an interior parts sale in the spring, and if you go through one of the Moss resellers (such as British Sports Car Restorations, there are many others as well) you can save a bit more.

Originality is not super critical for any Sprites, though can be more of an issue with Bugeyes. In the end it's your car, so do with it as you please. They made nearly 50k Bugeyes, so they're not all that rare. That said, the more original they are (in general) the more they are worth. Some changes, like a later 1275 engine and gearbox, disc brakes, etc, don't seem to effect the price all that much unless you are talking a show car. In a driver quality car a well sorted 1275 may even be a plus. Modifications that are reversible wouldn't have much effect, once you start cutting and welding you get into things that may drop the value -- but again, it's your car so have at it.

kellytroxel

Freshman Member
20121202_113237.jpgI just bought this 62 Sprite. It has a 1275 from around 72 . I am planning on fixing it up to drive daily as I am 62 and retired it seems appropriate. It was in storage for about 10 years in southern California. Everything is there except heater core. All the switches were bad except ignition switch. The distributor has a dead short, it has a manual fuel pump that doesn't work. It was parked because the carburetors needed rebuilding. The floor on drivers side needs replaced and all electronic connections need cleaned. I played $800 and feel like I stole it. Will have a hundred questions but I am going to get it running so I can cruise Santa Ana and see what the women do. By the way I call her the BLACK WIDOW. Maybe we can get together and share notes

Attachments

• 20121201_144122.jpg
    20121201_144122.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 88

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I also made a driver out of my 59 Bugeye. I had the old interior panels to use as templates. I made new panels and covered them in the same carpet that I used on the floor. Not "original" but nothing permanently changed in the event that I ever wanted to convert it to a show car.

DSC_9155.JPG

More pics in my blog if you're curious.

David

OP
N

nas90tdi

A few pictures. Took it for a run around the neighborhood this afternoon. Nothing out of the ordinary wrong. Needs the brakes done, maybe clutch cylinders. Not much clutch there about an inch maybe. Lights need a little work. I was thinking about replacing the harness with one of the repro harnesses, but I haven't really made up my mind on that since I haven't dug into the electrics at this point. But other then that I would say it's a very solid car for the money.DSC02168.jpgDSC02185.jpgDSC02183.jpgDSC02180.jpgDSC02177.jpgDSC02169.jpg

OP
N

nas90tdi

Paul suggested I put my engine number and vin up and you guys might know whether an engine swap had been done.
Vin AN5L/24854
Engine 9C-U-H 4585

Thanks again for all the info.

Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Can't speak to the numbers but looks very well bought! congrats!

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Kris
One thing I would also think about is replacing the tires, if they are old. Safety Fast
Paul

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Car looks pretty good, you did well. You've got work to do, but it ll looks doable.

As for the engine numbers, the only way to know for sure is to get a Heritage Certificate. From what I could look up, it's likely that the engine is from a slightly earlier car (August '58). Your car looks to be from July-October '59

OP
N

nas90tdi

David,
I like what you are doing with yours. We share a similar obsession. Mine is with the Land Rovers I build. I am actually planning to not do this with the Healey. I tend to wind up disassembling everything and rebuilding it until it is like new.
I am from Texas myself, glad to hear of more British fans back home. we are fairly rare.

OP
N

nas90tdi

No worries on the tires Paul, you can count on that, I am a tire fanatic. Plus, these will be the cheapest tires I own, I figure a set will cost about what one does on my off road truck.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It has been suggested that I move this thread to here,so:

I just bought my first Healey. I have had a couple of MG's and Triumphs over the years, and dozens of Land Rovers. So the British cars aren't a complete mystery to me.
But I would love a few pointers and ideas on things I need to be on the look out for.
A little About the car: 1960 Bugeye. Interior is missing except for the dash. Which is complete in very good shape. The seats have been redone but never installed in the car. Car was in storage for the last 10 years. Southern California car. So the only rust on the car is a small hole under the drivers feet about 2" maybe. It was painted at some point in the distant past. Paint is still in very good shape. Hood is nice with no rips or wear really. It cranks and idles exceptionally well. Under bonnet it pretty tidy, need a little cleaning up and heater duct replaced. But overall seems pretty solid mechanically. And body is in fantastic shape.

Also does anyone have in pictures of the boot space? I have searched a bit, but haven't come up with a direct picture of the interior of the boot.

Oh , and by the way, I picked it up for 4000.00. That seemed to be an outstanding deal. Was it?
I will get some picture up in a few days.Because, as we all know, a post with out pictures is worthless

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Is this the one that was on CL last week. Meant to follow up on it, but was just too busy. Ad said "not reg'd for 10 years, but wasn't clear if it was non-op or still on the books with penalties?

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
David,
I like what you are doing with yours. We share a similar obsession. Mine is with the Land Rovers I build. I am actually planning to not do this with the Healey. I tend to wind up disassembling everything and rebuilding it until it is like new.
I am from Texas myself, glad to hear of more British fans back home. we are fairly rare.

When I started this project in the summer of 2011, I just got it mechanically sound, and put the interior in. Finally, I couldn't stand the crappy paint anymore and that's where in snowballed. While prepping for paint, I decided to clean the under carriage. That was so gross, I had to fix the leaks. while fixing the leaks I cleaned up the axle, tranny, springs, etc. After cleaning, the paint was gone, so I started painting parts. Before long the motor was the only thing left, so it came out...

For any of you that have little kids (or grand kids), this sounds like the book - If You Give a Moose a Muffin

Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
worst words in restoration: "While I'm at it." I had a book called the $50,000 stove handle that followed the same theme in home renovation.

OP
N

nas90tdi

A few pics of the floor pans after some wire wheel and scraper work. Only area that even has surface rust is near the front of the footwell areas. The nuts for the accelerator pedal were still solid when i removed it. So its very localized. Sounds good from my point of view. I hate rust.
I will cut out the footwells and weld in new metal and it should be good to go.

That "while you are there" thing is a killer. I said I was not going to disassemble this one, but I am having to fight it. I keep finding things that bother me slightly and I know I can fix easily. But one repair begets another repair and so forth.

100_4507.jpg100_4509.jpg100_4508.jpg100_4513.jpg100_4514.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Looks good! and of course the plus side of "might as wells" is you know it is done right