• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 1957 TR3 Garage/ barn find> On blocks 48 years

ctp

I just recently acquired a 1957 TR3 from it's second owner. It had been up on blocks in his garage for 48 years after the transmission went out. It is documented with only 33k miles. Factory hard top, tonnau, and soft top on trunk with tool bag, factory shop manual and knock off hammer. After getting her running I upgraded to a synchroed trans and settling the hydraulics, which was pretty easy, this lady is a driver. Ca. 1963 Bias Ply tires with original Dunlop in the boot on spare.The tires look good with no dry rotting except one. I may just replace the one tire and drive with the old ones. I'm struggling with whether to restore or keep the patina. It looks cool with original Lucas headlights.
All of the electrics work including the charging system, horn, etc. It also has leather seats, with a rear seat.
I am wondering about the brake light though, Either this is a pre DOT car or import? Only one single brake light in the center of the rear where the license plate light should be. I cant find this setup mentioned. Any insight from those that know?

First sunlight in 48 years!
DSCF4692.jpg

Resting Spot 1963 - July 2011. Notice the factory metal hard top pushed aside.
DSCF4691.jpg

Check out the 1963 Ohio license plate!
DSCF4696.jpg

At home showing off the bright Lucas handiwork. Single brake light in center.
DSCF4714-1.jpg

My buddy Chad with his donated tires.
DSCF4712.jpg

Credit goes to the man who saved her and raised a family around her for 48 years! Second owner.
DSCF4694.jpg

Here is a pic of the rear. Scroll thru for more..
https://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/x328/kulacol/?action=view&current=DSCF4714.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Wow, that is one great find. Congratulations.

Brake light is correct. Triumph invented the 'third brake light'... they just didn't have the other two.

I like to see patina cars on the road -- plenty of time for a respray later, they're only original once, but...

...please do not drive on the old tires. So many bad stories of old tires failing with diastrous results. This is not an urban legend or old wives' tale -- old tires can ruin the car and worse hurt you bad. 10 years is the limit for old tires -- you are way past that. They may not even show any evidence of aging up until the moment they fail.

Also, those 48-spoke wires are fine for easy city cruising but if you plan to drive at speed or with some sportiness you may find the 60-spoke wires are a better choice.

Bremer

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Great find. My car was the same colour when it rolled off the line.
I like to see patina on our cars, except on the tires. Go with new ones.
At the very least you should also invest in a set of new brake hoses, if you haven't already.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
All of the rubber parts will need replaced. Either before or after it makes you break down. That includes the wheel cylinders and master cylinder internals.

jwolff

Jedi Hopeful
Congratulations, that is an amazing find. Love the color and patina, is that Cotswold blue?

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I agree with everyone about the tires, get new ones.

And like everyone else said I would make sure the brakes are all redone. Of the one item in the car most important it is the ability to stop.

Rubber sitting that long will go bad.

What a great find. I wish I could find something like that.

I also like the car the way it is for now. I would get everything else taken care of first and then some day repaint.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Since everyone's entitled to their opinions, I'll add mine. :laugh:

I'm with the majority here about ditching those tires. It's simply not worth the risk for you or the car to rely on those ancient bias-ply skins; likely the only thing keeping them round is a set of circa 1963 tubes!

It's scruffy looking, but I would keep it as-is for now and strongly consider a repaint in that color at some point. (Note I said repaint, not necessarily a down-to-the-frame restoration unless you find a compelling reason to do so.) Redo only what absolutely needs doing.

It's hard to tell from the photos exactly what that color is. I'm assuming the paint is somewhat dulled and faded? Regardless, it is a very attractive color. If you do repaint at some point, please don't go Signal Red or BRG; the world has enough TRs in those colors now! :sleep:

Do you know how the original owner obtained it? If it was a typical US-spec. car, it probabaly wouldn't have had those Lucas bulb-and-reflector headlamps originally. However, if it had been a Personal Export Delivery car (or possibly if it was originally sold new in Canada or otherwise outside the US), then they might be original. Marking on the lens should indicate whether they are "left hand drive" or "right hand drive" lamps.

On the wire wheel thing: I first started serious parts scrounging in the early 1970s, soon after learning to drive and to be able to take care of my own Triumphs. And, of course, I would stop to look at every Triumph I saw, be it on a dealer's lot, in a driveway or parking lot, or behind a barn/in a field. Back then, derelict TRs were almost literally a dime a dozen (thankfully, times have changed). One thing I used to notice then was that the 48-spoke wheels I came across (on or off a car) were usually very much intact, while many of the later 60-spoke wheels I saw had one or even numerous broken spokes. I realize that's not a very scientific sample, but I've long wondered if the 48-spoke wheels were and are really as bad as so many folks have made them out to be in recent years? Just sayin'.... :laugh:

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
What an amazing find with such low mileage.

The colour is probably Winchester Blue which factory records show was used from Sept '56 through to Nov '57.

Consider renewing the seal and bearings in the water pump, which are prone to early failure after a long lay up.

The tires are a novelty, but as said, definately unsafe, as would be the inner tubes. I've seen the tread on old tires balloon out from the casing, or sometimes they just randomly blow out altogether.

Viv

Country flag
Congrats on the purchase. Money well spent. Looks to be a faded Salvador Blue which was a one year only color. I have one like it. To echo everyone else, change out the tires if you are driving it much. Get it mechanically good shape and then see about painting. Stay original

Marv

OP
C

ctp

Thanks for the responses. I had given the owner my card 5 years ago and he tracked me down thru a former employer. Seems it was meant to be. It was great to spot 5 years ago and even greater to drag home! Only blocks from my house too. I am always amazed at what is out there so close to home. This was an exciting one for me. I assume that I really cannot lose with it.
Anyway,the car was resprayed before 1963. It originally was white which is evident under the dash and where paint has flaked off. Everyone loves the blue though, so I may stick with it if I finish the car. I have a few interested buyers so due to finances I may have to move it along.
Got it on the tires. It makes sense that they are questionable. I love the original bias ply white wall look though, Maybe Ill get some thru coker or something to match. What size would match the original look?
True..... they only are original once...

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Very nice find CP it's shame you may have to sell it.

OP
C

ctp

Thanks. I doubt my family will let me sell it. Since I got my Bugeye years ago it got put on the "must keep" list. I think this one is already on it. Finances will get resolved some other way.

Here is a treat for you:

Smittys-1.jpg

My buddy has donated a brand new set of Dunlop 175 65r 15s for it. He is in the bottom pic above. We mounted one and I thought it looked too small for the car. He thought it was fine. I know these would be a way better tire but I couldn't get past my liking for the taller tires. What do most run on these? Any opinions? Maybe I should go with the free new set just to be safe...

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Free is good, But new is more important! Glad that your family won't let you get rid of this beautiful find!!

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I like that pic, looks like they are about to fight over the beer. My money is on the TR..!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
ctp said:
My buddy has donated a brand new set of Dunlop 175 65r 15s for it. He is in the bottom pic above. We mounted one and I thought it looked too small for the car. He thought it was fine. I know these would be a way better tire but I couldn't get past my liking for the taller tires. What do most run on these? Any opinions? Maybe I should go with the free new set just to be safe...
They might be ok, but they would be significantly lower profile and, therefore, a good bit smaller diameter than any original tire. Even in an original Michelin X 155SR15 radial, the section width would be over 80; same with the larger (mostly TR4) 165SR15 that otherwise should be a suitable replacement. If you really like the whitewall look AND you find you really enjoy driving the car (and I suspect you will), these just might be worth the investment:

Coker Classic 165R15 wide whitewall radials They have a couple other wide white radials, but those are the least expensive.

And you'll also want proper radial tubes !

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There CTP,

"CONGRATS" on your outstanding find! She appears to be quite solid. Mine appeared to be solid till I had her totally blasted & ended up with Swiss Cheese. Nevertheless; These little TRs are gaining value by the minute; As I`m sure your aware.

I`m in process (About 60-70% complete) of restoring a `57 Small Mouth right now (TS21162L). Whats the VIN on yours?

Have Fun,

Russ

PS: Keep it Original to include the paint (White or Olde English White) as you had mentioned.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
dang it,

Drooled on my keyboard again.

well done!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :laugh:

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
Sniff sniff,
brings tears to my eyes
Just knowing they are still out there
waiting to be found and treated with respect.
Congratulations, drive it in good health.

rustbucket

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Score!!!

Replace all the rubber, clean it up and drive it is my vote.

Congratulations on the find.