• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series 1953 MG TD

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Today I took the fenders, doors, hoods, running boards, miscellaneous body panels to the painter....tomorrow (if weather is nice) I take the car itself...the restoration - except paint - was finished in 1999..finally getting around to the body!

nathandarby67

When you get to the interior I'd love to swap you a dashboard for some midget parts!

I'd love to get ahold of a TD or TC for myself sometime soon. I have always had a soft spot for them. There is one here in the Jackson area that would make a great project, but the owner has it priced like a very nice driver and won't budge!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'd love to see some pics of it as you go.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tonys interor is complete, including real leather seats.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, everything on car is NEW! To include every piece of wood in the body (except door wood)...all she needs is a new coat of paint!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And as soon as it is finished I'll go get it for the wife. Tony never locks up. Yheee Hawwww.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Actually, Jack - ADT was by yesterday to look place over...insurance requirements are changing.

Jarhead

Jedi Hopeful
I'm a big guy and had trouble sitting in front of the wheel in the one TD i sat in. Is this typical? There is so much room in the A & B, it surprised me. I love the looks of the TD although I never had the opportunity to drive one. There where some beauties at the British car show in Peoria the last few times. Almost too good to drive! Nah! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well that plan died. Good to hear it Tony, you have too much to loose. I think we would all cry a lot if anything happened to your little cars.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
With the garage expansion (its now up over 4,000 square feet including the 2nd floor), & the new appraisal of the MG collection (I was shocked), their antique auto folks are redoing my insurance policy - at the same time my USAA homeowners insurance is being redone to accomodate the expansion...one of the things they want is a security system, not in the house - in the garage...they even asked if I had a sprinkler system in the garage....funny thing, though - insurance for the cars not registered for the road is only about $300 per year - that's for all of them - (usually a dozen or so except in winter when its the mjority of them) not just one!...& the ones that are registered for the road are only about $100 per year each!

Darn security system will cost more than the insurance policy!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It's a one-time deal tho, and THERE 24/7, 365.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think that is an excellent move Tony and the price is right for sure.

Think about a fire repressent system, yea I know expensive but.........

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmmmm... would hate for a 'false' alarm in the sprinkler system to fill all those cars with water... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Halon (was there a ban placed on that type?)? Or some other non-damaging fire suppression system?

my knowledge on fire suppression systems isn't what it should be.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
First, I'm not going to install a sprinkler system.

Second, the policy only covers the cars when they're not licensed & are in storage mode.

Third, I had to move several cars today to get the TD to a stall in front of a door...Jack, you'd be proud...I charged several batteries & took a few cars out for a spin!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well I'll be darned, I still haven't driven a B.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
She's at the body shop....

td03.JPG

Tomorrow they're going to clean her real good...Monday I'll go down & we'll remove the upholstery, dash, tiny bright work, & everything off the firewall....

td04.JPG

td05.JPG

They'll also start polishing the grille after they remove the slats...all the major body panels go into the blast booth to be taken down to metal & the body tub will be chemically treated to remove all the old paint...

...then, we start prepping her for the new color & reassembly....looking sometime after first of year for completion & reassembly

Now, I've gotta get lots of close-up photos of the various pieces & parts of the car so we put her back together properly!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randys not going to want to give that one back.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Randys not going to want to give that one back.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's already been up under it & wants to take it farther apart than I had thought of doing...we'll reassemble it in his shop so all I have to do when I get it home is get it running!

(He's even got a set of my 'car skates' for it, Jack!)