• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1949 MG YT Tourer

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
"The MG Y-Type was a small saloon car built by the M.G. Car Company between 1947 and 1953. When production ceased in 1953 8,336 “Y” Types had been produced, the breakdown being: 6,151 “YA”s (including 9 cars supplied to Swiss and Italian custom coachbuilders for special bodies), "1,301 “YB”s and 877 “Y” Tourers."

The MG “Y/T” was launched at the Motor Show in 1948. However, it was available for export only but would be available in both Right and Left hand drive models. Only 877 of these cars were produced when production ceased in 1950."

"The YT had a pre-war style open, four seater tourer body, built on the same chassis as the Y-Type saloon (later known as the YA). The YT had traditional cut-away front doors and removable canvas side screens, the hood folded neatly away behind the rear seats"

Today, I walked away from one of those 877 YT's (well, he knows what I'll pay & how to get in touch with me but we're so far apart on price that he'll probably part her out first, sigh)....as my grandfather would've said "She war ruffer'n a cob". She's definitely a survivor, though she hasn't been treated well over the years...thankfully the PO who has owned her for 20-some years has kept her inside & not done anything to her in all those years - so at least she's stabilized - & he's actually collected a few items that were missing from her when he rescued her....but she's still a total disassembly & complete rebuild - & not an inexpensive one at that!

Besides, I really want a YB Saloon!

Bugeye58

Yoda
Too bad, Tony. I hate to see anything along those lines get parted out, but I think many owners have a vastly inflated idea of the worth of the car. I let a TR3 go by recently for the same reason.
Jeff

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I lost a "rough one" on ebay about 5 years ago. I really thought that we be a cool one to have. Haven't seen one since.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Man, I want a YB. Saloons rule.[/QUOTE]

You & me, Wray - I might even take a good YA if I could find one!

Steve_S

Yoda
The true connoisseur would never refer to a Y as a YA. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I've considered selling my YB a few times, but I love it so much I keep changing my mind. I need to drive it more often to get such thoughts out of my head.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
been keeping the manual cranking up to par Steve? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
Hehe! It cranks on its own, it just took me a while to buy a battery after I purchased the car. I was saving money and getting exercise at the same time.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
still, that's one really cool feature on them /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
Most people don't realize that MGs came with crank starters until 1962. You can make an MGB crank start but you have to make an access hole to the dog nut.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmmmm...

that could be fun though. I could tell people that's where I wind mine up for the drive /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
LHD or RHD is immaterial in a T-Type, IMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The true connoisseur would never refer to a Y as a YA.[/QUOTE]

So, Steve, what are they: Y's, YB's, & YT's? hehehehe

Steve_S

Yoda
Actually yes! When the Y-Type was released, there were no plans for an upgraded model. It was simply referred to as the M.G. Y-Type Saloon, or the MG Y. It wasn't until the release of the improved model that people began to refer to the first generation Y as "YA". They did this to positively differentiate the earlier models from the later ones in conversation. Even the factory referred to them as YA and YB at times - it made sense. But the true name of the models are Y, YB and YT.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Okay, so my first choice of the Y-Types is a YB...but I'd take a Y.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Good chart - & its numbers verify the one s I posted at the beginning of this thread.