• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

175/70/14 tires, yay or nay?

100DashSix

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
As I'm a cheap but relatively reasonable person, I'm looking at Kumho Power Star 758 175/70/14 tires. I've seen Kumhos advised for daily-driving MGBs, but was wondering if anyone has some specific advice regarding this type and size. Tirerack.com has them for $31 each, which is palatable.

paul74

I wanted a tire that would not change my speedometer or odometer and the 175/70/14 is the closest to the original I could find for my 74 B. I have 1200 miles on my Kumho 758 set. I love them. Now I will say, I replaced 12 year old hard as rock potenza tires. And of course I would say inexpensive, rather than cheap.
Paul

sultanoswing

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
As tyres are one of the biggest factors influencing safety, ride, handling, comfort and noise, I'd personally steer (ha, ha) well clear of cheap rubber. Like many things in this world you DO get what you pay for. Save on the car wax, or the air freshener, but not the rubber!

Some sporty 185/65's would make great sense!

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I'm running 175/70/14 Goodyears right now, and they're okay - nice ride and all that - but I paid too much for what I got. The Kumho's have gotten good reviews on other boards, but the Yokohama Avids come out better. The 185/65 tires are $51 each at tirereack.

One note: Inexpensive isn't always "cheap" - just inexpensive. That's the nice thing about tirerack.com.

R.

Jack_Long

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I put the Kumho Power Stars on my daughter's Saturn Ion last year because the OEM Firestones were hydroplaning like mad when less than half worn. The difference was amazing and they are wearing well.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I reckon Kumho's are good. Personally, I went with 'cheap' as others have mentioned here. Mainly, because I have a tight budget, and didn't plan on running on these tires for entirely too long (planning changing wheels to 15" Minilite/-like wheels). I got a set of 185/65 14's for my B. The brand molded into the side wall of my tires is something like Wynstar. Local shop that was recommended to me by multiple people that didn't know each other set me up with them. I paid about $40/tire and was out the door just a tad over $200 after tax and all that other stuff.

The shop of course inflated the tires to their max pressure which at first made for a really nice ride on smooth roads, but as soon as I found poor patches I found it was a touch rough. Resetting the pressures to 38PSI front 44PSI rear took the edge off the roughness. Road noise on these tires is negligible; I can never hear 'road noise' in my car, the exhaust + wind noise always covers up any noise the tires ~might~ be making. Speedo seems to be about right for the speeds I drive (70 - 75 on the freeway keeps up with traffic).

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
I have Kuhmos on my daily driver and I am very happy with them. the originals were Michilan Pilot's at $225 a pop (225 40 R18)

Kuhmo had a summer tire (no snow in Florida) for $68.

The differences between the tires is minimal compared to the differences in price.

Rob

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I bought a set of Kumhos for one of my other cars and absolutely loved them...but one word of advice...they run a little narrow, so most people buy up one size and are happy.

Bruce

OP

100DashSix

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I put the Kumhos on this weekend and am basically pleased with them--they're smooth, and feel good for a daily driver. I'm not convinced yet, but it seems like they're less sticky than the old tires I took off, which were Michelin 165SR14s (apparently so old you can't get them anymore).

New tires take at least 300 miles in order to bed-in and for the rubber preservation molds on the tire to fully wear off and allow for maximum grip. No experience with Kumhos personally but I would doubt if a hard, aged cracked and anrrow tire could outgrip any new compound. Make sure you report back after some driving.

OP

100DashSix

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ah, I wasn't sure just how long it took for the tire to wear in properly, thanks for the tip. At the moment it's just weekend driving, but this weather has been so nice (driving with the top down in January!) that it might not be long at all before 300 miles.

I'll post here once I reach a verdict, for the benefit of anyone considering these tires.

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Stop rubbing it in! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I'm here in California where they've declared a state disaster because the cold has destroyed 3/4 of the citrus crop - and busted water pipes all over the place - and I just know that next year when I'm back home in Virginia, we're gonna get nailed. It ain't fair.

R.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
100DashSix said:
I put the Kumhos on this weekend and am basically pleased with them--they're smooth, and feel good for a daily driver. I'm not convinced yet, but it seems like they're less sticky than the old tires I took off, which were Michelin 165SR14s (apparently so old you can't get them anymore).

You can still get 165/SR70/14s in other tires. I have Vredestien Quatracs on my car. High quality tire, very soft ride, good grip. Made in Holland and cost around $75 each. Original size, so no spedo change. They have a directional tread, so the installer has to be aware of this. They also have a very unique side wall design that draws nice comments from onlookers. I love the tire and now knowing more about it, I wouldn't have anything else. PJ

mgtire.jpg

lawguy

Jedi Knight
Rick_Stevens said:
Stop rubbing it in! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I'm here in California where they've declared a state disaster because the cold has destroyed 3/4 of the citrus crop - and busted water pipes all over the place - and I just know that next year when I'm back home in Virginia, we're gonna get nailed. It ain't fair.

R.

Went for a run this morning...7 degrees F, but then again, here we've been wondering where that weather has been.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Paul, that is one very nice front passanger photo.

If the rest looks like that, and I am sure it does. No wonder folks stop and look.