• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1098 exhaust options

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Now that I've got my '63 roadworthy I can start on the fun stuff.
Among other things I may choose to revamp the exhaust.
Currently Weber 32/36, header (not sure which one) and straight out through dual tips, nothing in between, haven't even checked diameter yet.
It's loud.
When accelerating you can hear me in the next county. Not sure I want to live with that or not yet. Cruising isn't bad and conversations are easy, so long as I stay off the gas!
So....add a cherry bomb, or ditch the tips for a Harley exhaust, or some other combo.
BTW when I decelerate it pops and "backfires" like a mutha. Don't know if that's a function of the lack of back pressure or indicates a leak or what.
I've only just begun to fiddle with tuning and all I've done so far is rough in the timing (somewhere near 8 BTDC) and look at the plugs which looked good to me. Kinda like the idea of getting an old Harley pipe on there, quiet it down a tad and address the too long and slightly crooked condition of the current tips. Don't want to degrade performance so keeping the flow up is pretty important too, if indeed the Weber is dialed in, I'd rather not have to retune it but that's pretty easy on a Weber after all.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
1.75" likely on pipe size. Where did ther dual tips come from? Looking for a set to go on a Cherry Bomb or something like that. Monza Muffler at $125 is a little steep as well as the dual tipped glasspack that MOSS Sels for $165. Looks nice but simply looks like a Cherry Bomb with Dual Tips. Better half says next thing I buy for Bugsy needs to be a quieter muffler. As far as I'm concerned Bugsy sounds just fine but I've got this issue with Bugsy waking her up on the weekends if I try to go out early or coffee or to run errands. And when Mama ain't happy....

I need a better solution, curious as to waht others are currently using.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Stock muffler from Moss.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Jim_Gruber said:
Better half says next thing I buy for Bugsy needs to be a quieter muffler. As far as I'm concerned Bugsy sounds just fine but I've got this issue with Bugsy waking her up on the weekends if I try to go out early or coffee or to run errands. And when Mama ain't happy....

Geez Jim, just stop doing brake stands in the driveway, on your way out! :wink: Push the car for the first half a block?

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
Mainflow Header and Exhaust pipe-muffler.I have no Idea where to get one in the states. I did a job in Naples that involved returning a container with sea water RO sytem. Guess what hitched a ride? 2 Mini Copper engines complete and 4 Mainflow Sprite_Midget exhaust systems, Lotus tranny. Oh Tommy tells me Mini Mania Sells them open your wallet.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Aren't there any old fogeys like me out there, who have had enough noise in our lives, and want an exhaust system that isn't really so loud? I have a stock Moss or VB exhaust (I think--I didn't install it). It sets off car alarms as I drive by, and every cop in SoCal gives me the hairy eyeball. I'd like something that is a little less noisy, but still growls a bit. Does anything like this exist?

By the way, the popping and pseudo-backfiring when you get off the gas is standard operation for these cars. It will be a lot less noticeable when you have a real muffler, even one that allows a fairly loud exhaust note.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
IF it "pops and backfires like a mutha" then odd are you have a leak of either the exhaust manifold OR that the joint between the manifold and the exhaust pipe. ..

remember the three elements of fire....

Fuel..... unburned gas exiting the exhaust valves?

HEAT... .. everything in there is HOT

Oxygen.....Its gotta be getting in from SOMEWHERE on the downstreamside.
Find that leak and the Popping goes away.

zimmy

Jedi Knight
hmmm, my car was popping and such
till i reconnected my pipe properly
and welded the "monza" muffler on....
now it just goes VrooomVrooommmm :wink:

makes sense to me .....zimmmy

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Well, I was stupid, there is a full Monza exhaust on there (working off memory while at work), I haven't paid much attention to it until now, there's a "muffler" if that term applies! I'll go after the leaks first. I put on a new gasket at the manifold and have retightened the clamps everywhere else but obviously some goo of some sort is needed. Maybe once sealed up it will be quieter? Probably not. Yes, it's too loud at the moment, I was a biker before and I still do like the sounds of an engine but there's good noise and then there's obnoxious, I don't like obnoxious much. Decel popping concurs with the leaks, had to hunt them down on nearly every old vehicle I've owned, bikes, cars, all the same, introduce air in the exhaust, it explodes! Neat.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm using a stock setup from Moss...

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
My first sprite had a tiny cherry bomb style straight through exhaust that was supper loud. On decelleration, it popped and sputtered very loudly and was embarrasing to drive at night time.

My current sprite is most likely using the original exhaust system and it is straight through as well, but quieter. It's still louder than the Moss motors system I've heard, but the Moss one is straight through as well, I think. Just better/newer baffling in the muffler.

My kawasaki w650 motorcycle actually has air valves at the front of the mufflers to take in air to help burn up unused fuel as an emissions standard, so the popping is intended, and I like the sound of it :wink:

bugimike

Yoda
I went the Harley route with a Pacesetter header! I like the sound and the nice chromey part and it seems to breath nicely!

Attachments

• 12221.jpg
    12221.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 12222.jpg
    12222.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 166

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Looks good from here.

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
Are the Harley mufflers restrictive? I have some stock mufflers from a Sportster 1200. People THROW THEM AWAY at harley shops.

The Harley shop in my city sells them to the scrap yard, so you can buy a set for about 5 dollars.

It's a shame, since they're pretty nice mufflers. And they are brand spankin new.. The bike owners don't want em.

bugimike

Yoda
They are not restrictive at all...built like a cherrybomb (only nicer!)!! And, yes as you say, all the Harley owners seem to opt for fancy, custom units, discarding these freely!!!! :banana: :thumbsup: :cheers:

PS: for those interested, inlet ID is 1 3/4"

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
GeeBee1 said:
tony barnhill said:
I'm using a stock setup from Moss...

How's that sound? :devilgrin:
Don't know - haven't got the engine in the car yet....you dawg, you....hehehehe

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
sorry couldn't resist :jester:

in time, in time, I have a Moss setup in a 71 and it is fine.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Vroom, vroom. Sounds great from here.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Gonna do a trip to HArley Store a few miles away Sat AM. We'll see if they really want to get rid of Stock Mufflers. Gotta sdo something to replace the rusty Cherry Bomb on Bugsy. Getting close to driveability.