• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Drive around Hunt, TX

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Don't be ashamed, I lived here for 3 years before I knew there were green spaces! :oops:

Quick trivia, Texas was originally going to be split into 5 states, but politics got in the way. Geographically it has everything from desert to mountains to tropical marshland. So, whatever you picture when you think of Texas, you're probably right!

Country flag
Don't be ashamed, I lived here for 3 years before I knew there were green spaces! :oops:

Quick trivia, Texas was originally going to be split into 5 states, but politics got in the way. Geographically it has everything from desert to mountains to tropical marshland. So, whatever you picture when you think of Texas, you're probably right!
The stars at night......

OP
Gatheringtree

Gatheringtree

Gold
Country flag
I live in what is called the "hill country" in Texas. Several business names here adopt the phrase, "Hill Country _______" Compared to the mountains in the U.S.A. our hills are underwhelming. But still does have nice spots to take the roadster. I went to residency in west Texas where there were no trees. I partly grew up in north Texas Panhandle where it is very flat. The smell of cattle and manure carries for miles. Electrical storms can also be seen miles away, and the sky is a huge bowl of stars at night. I work in Laredo Texas now where the cross-culture from bordering countries is thick. Spanish is practically a primary language in Laredo. For example, if you pass through, say, a McDonalds and you will first get greeted in Spanish. I am credentialed to work ER/hospitals all across Texas, so I have been everywhere here. My preference would be to live in East Texas bordering Arkansas near a town aptly named, Texarkana. There are tall trees and pines and everygreens everywhere. It also has a good blend of all 4 seasons. It is hard to uproot and move too far away from our kids and grandkids who are in San Antonio--the city where I grew up and married 48 years ago.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
For many years I used to referee at the Plano Labor Day Soccer Tournament. The first year I traveled to Plano in September I thought I was going to be cooked alive on the soccer pitch. It was well over 100 degrees F (38C) during my games.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I live in what is called the "hill country" in Texas. Several business names here adopt the phrase, "Hill Country _______" Compared to the mountains in the U.S.A. our hills are underwhelming. But still does have nice spots to take the roadster. I went to residency in west Texas where there were no trees. I partly grew up in north Texas Panhandle where it is very flat. The smell of cattle and manure carries for miles. Electrical storms can also be seen miles away, and the sky is a huge bowl of stars at night. I work in Laredo Texas now where the cross-culture from bordering countries is thick. Spanish is practically a primary language in Laredo. For example, if you pass through, say, a McDonalds and you will first get greeted in Spanish. I am credentialed to work ER/hospitals all across Texas, so I have been everywhere here. My preference would be to live in East Texas bordering Arkansas near a town aptly named, Texarkana. There are tall trees and pines and everygreens everywhere. It also has a good blend of all 4 seasons. It is hard to uproot and move too far away from our kids and grandkids who are in San Antonio--the city where I grew up and married 48 years ago.
I was with ya right up until you said east Texas. There are too many trees and people both in that part of the world.

I'm in southwest Oklahoma just outside the Wichita Mountains. It is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth but I'm also biased.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
For many years I used to referee at the Plano Labor Day Soccer Tournament. The first year I traveled to Plano in September I thought I was going to be cooked alive on the soccer pitch. It was well over 100 degrees F (38C) during my games.
100° in Dallas is awful. That large of a place just traps the heat and you can't escape it anywhere. At least where I live you can rest under a shade tree and enjoy a breeze on a 100° + day.

OP
Gatheringtree

Gatheringtree

Gold
Country flag
It gets that hot here as well. I like to cruise the streets at night in the convertible. It is nice and cool. The streets are empty and quiet. Kerrville is a city of about 20,000 people. There are classic car meets here several times a year. All during the day of course. I have been considering organizing Friday or Saturday night cruises. We have a Sonic drive-in on both ends of town. The idea would be for all the classics to cruise back & forth between the drive-ins.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It gets that hot here as well. I like to cruise the streets at night in the convertible. It is nice and cool. The streets are empty and quiet. Kerrville is a city of about 20,000 people. There are classic car meets here several times a year. All during the day of course. I have been considering organizing Friday or Saturday night cruises. We have a Sonic drive-in on both ends of town. The idea would be for all the classics to cruise back & forth between the drive-ins.
When I was a kid we lived in Lawton, OK. I still live near there but about twenty miles north east. Anyway, 'the cruise' was very popular back then..it was informal and high school kids would cruise from Wayne's drive in down Sheridan road to the intersection of Sheridan and Cache and back. There was a grocery store where everyone would stop and hang out in the parking lot, and some kids would just go to the parking lot and hang out, while others would stop to talk trash and try to get a race.

The cruise wood usually last until midnight or two on Fridays and Saturdays all summer. Sometimes the cops would break it up if things got out of hand but it was normally fairly tame.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
As someone born in Texas back in the 1940s, I've had the good fortune to enjoy many of the different environments of Texas.

The Fort Worth - Dallas "metroplex", where I grew up and went to TCU.
The East Texas "piney woods".
Hill Country farmland (and the great Czech food in the town of West)
The Rio Grande Valley, where I first taught school and my junior high kids would greet me each morning with "Good morning Sir".
West Texas oil fields and Big Bend National Park.
The Panhandle, with the helium reserves and Palo Duro Canyon. (the "Little Grand Canyon")

And scattered all over most of Texas in the spring - the state flower, the Bluebonnets.

texas-bluebonnets-bloom.jpg

Even tho' I've lived in Connecticut for 30 years, I guess part of me is still "deep in the heart of Texas".

Tom M.