• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Finally a Bugeye of my very own

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Looks great!

Looking up the stairs - does your garage open into the kitchen without a door? Or is that another 'outside' space.

Slightly nerdy comment but, the screws aren't phillips they are pozi drive - almost the same but the pozi isn't tapered. The screwdrivers are almost interchageable but it you are going to be taking out frustrating screws you might want to get the right screwdrivers

OP
Lou E

Lou E

Silver
Country flag
Looks great!

Looking up the stairs - does your garage open into the kitchen without a door? Or is that another 'outside' space.

Slightly nerdy comment but, the screws aren't phillips they are pozi drive - almost the same but the pozi isn't tapered. The screwdrivers are almost interchageable but it you are going to be taking out frustrating screws you might want to get the right screwdrivers

There’s a door at the top of the stairs, I wanted to replace it with a glass door but code requires it to be steel.

I didn’t know that’s what they were called and definitely appreciate you letting me know but I did try one of those also, it is part of an electrician set I was given at my previous job. Unfortunately it didn’t work either, the last bolt is always the hardest to get out and this time was no exception, driver’s side closest to firewall.

Thinking of taking the hood off to make working on it easier. Haven’t done it yet because I like closing the hood and staring at the car for a while before heading in for the night and I won’t be able to put it back on by myself, but my back is starting to let me know I need a better plan than hunching over the engine.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Lou, a really superior "loose juice" for a penetrant is a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. We call it "Weasel Pi$$". Better than ANY commercial penetrant on the market. Repeated application and a day or two and you'll wish you'd known of it long ago.

OP
Lou E

Lou E

Silver
Country flag
Lou, a really superior "loose juice" for a penetrant is a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. We call it "Weasel Pi$$". Better than ANY commercial penetrant on the market. Repeated application and a day or two and you'll wish you'd known of it long ago.
Thank you for the tip, I’m sure it will come in handy as I go through the car.

OP
Lou E

Lou E

Silver
Country flag
Well, I didn’t get it running this weekend as I had hoped but progress was made. Ordered a coil, points, etc. so hopefully when those things show up I’ll get it fired up.

Bonnet came off, my back couldn’t take it anymore and it didn’t make sense to keep it on there just because it looked cool. There’s a lot of work to do and it just makes things much easier, the time will come to put it back on!

D7A33D31-8B41-477C-BD21-5468E4991F4B.jpeg

A8CAEA3F-0B03-4B9A-A8F9-93E1F7A3EA38.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Re. Posidrive Screwdrivers - The old Multiple Screwdriver Sets from Craftsman contained Posidrive Screwdrivers - They are marked # 1, #2, or #3
( the big one needed for door hinges). Congrats on the new BE. Add your Car Type - '59 Bugeye and City, State to your profile, so we know where you are located.

Jealous of this much garage space. Mine could look like this without having a daily driver to go with Bugsy IV, Mr. MAX '04 Miata MAZDASPEED. Too many tools, too many toys. Need more time to play with the toys.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Way too neat of a setup. You need more tools and miscellaneous parts strewn about for it to be a proper LBC garage!

OP
Lou E

Lou E

Silver
Country flag
Re. Posidrive Screwdrivers - The old Multiple Screwdriver Sets from Craftsman contained Posidrive Screwdrivers - They are marked # 1, #2, or #3
( the big one needed for door hinges). Congrats on the new BE. Add your Car Type - '59 Bugeye and City, State to your profile, so we know where you are located.

Jealous of this much garage space. Mine could look like this without having a daily driver to go with Bugsy IV, Mr. MAX '04 Miata MAZDASPEED. Too many tools, too many toys. Need more time to play with the toys.

This is the first time in 10 years the garage has been this spacious, had to clear every out to paint the floor and taking my time with moving things back. Enjoying it while it lasts!

I added personal info, not sure why it’s not showing up.

OP
Lou E

Lou E

Silver
Country flag
Way too neat of a setup. You need more tools and miscellaneous parts strewn about for it to be a proper LBC garage!
Hahaha don’t worry, won’t take long before the newly pain floor won’t be visible because I’ll have crap everywhere. I’m not as neat as the pictures would have you believe, may have to share some pictures of my slot car space to give you guys an idea of what the garage will soon look like again. 😂

Pat MM

Country flag
Your garage is still awesome!
We have a 1950 house with a short 20’x20’ garage tacked on the side. There is no entrance to the house from the garage, oddly.
I‘ve got 3 cars in there and about 10 bicycles hanging around to boot. The Sprite is sideways in back, behind the Morris Traveller that has the engine out, and my wife’s big car, a VW Karmann Ghia, is next to the Traveller.
I wish I had half the space you’ve got, but I’d probably just fill it with more projects… oh, and there is the lathe with a 5’ bed that I am using as a stable base to mount the old fashioned bench mounted VW engine rotisserie I’m using for the engine. Things are cozy, to say the least, but at least we have a garage now…

OP
Lou E

Lou E

Silver
Country flag
After attempting to start the car and having some gas hoses leak before the engine caught, I have begun replacing them all, I’ve started working on my side curtains as I figured it would be something I could “quickly” get the satisfaction of having something on the car actually finished and ready, while still working on literally everything else.

The frames on my side curtains are pretty beat up cosmetically but perfectly straight and all the seams intact so they are definitely worth some elbow grease, do you guys have any recommendations on how to best go about this? I think they are too far gone for a chrome like finish so I think maybe I would like them to have a brushed aluminum look, but don’t want to destroy the frame while experimenting with how to get there. I’ve also thought about painting them a matte finish but not too sure about that one yet.

What have you guys done with your less than perfect frames?

OP
Lou E

Lou E

Silver
Country flag
Whatever finish the side curtains end up being, I plan on doing the same thing to the windshield frame.

Country flag
There were many aftermarket sidecurtains available. I'm not sure how they were originally finished. Does yours appear to be anodized? or just raw aluminum?

OP
Lou E

Lou E

Silver
Country flag
There were many aftermarket sidecurtains available. I'm not sure how they were originally finished. Does yours appear to be anodized? or just raw aluminum?

At work now but I’ll try to get some pictures when I get home. They have an almost chrome like finish which probably looked really nice decades ago but have definitely seen better days.

OP
Lou E

Lou E

Silver
Country flag
AAE3D464-DE7D-4E05-A44D-FC5C33B9CFDF.jpeg

E0E1F2B2-5BCB-4452-ADA4-6AB13D777626.jpeg

561B6321-B55C-4E04-9207-B501190B80FF.jpeg

Hope these pictures give you an idea of what I’m dealing with. I’m not opposed to a non traditional finish, but haven’t been able to find anything online. I like the brushed aluminum look but again, not having seen any examples I don’t know if it would look right on the car.

I don’t mind the elbow grease or tedious work, I’m in no rush to get the car finished a I have no plans to drive it until next spring so just enjoying spending time on it whenever I can find that time…

Country flag
Looks like clear anodizing over polished aluminum. The anodizing will need to be stripped before painting, polishing or brushing.
I guess the first step is attacking it with oven cleaner. Then it would be a matter of sanding off the remaining anodizing until you get an even finish.

OP
Lou E

Lou E

Silver
Country flag
Worked on the window for a bit this evening and I’m pretty pleased with the progress. It is definitely a lot a elbow grease but I think they will clean up pretty good. Thank you for the tip Trevor.

Started with this:
51141882-D737-4656-9BC2-E26F21E2F58E.jpeg

After washing off the oven cleaner with a green scotch brite pad:
1FE15E9E-546C-4F35-A2BF-BB38B1907A95.jpeg

And this is after sanding it with 400 grit sandpape:
D80E9EA0-C5B9-4358-A345-2EE1B72236E2.jpeg

Altogether I probably have about an hour and a half into it, I think another couple of evenings and it will be ready for polishing but the important part was I got to just turn off the brain for a bit and focus on the task at hand. Therapy may be cheaper but this is a heck of a lot more fun!

Attachments

• 78B7A102-FEBE-40BD-ACCD-0708A5D6124A.jpeg
    78B7A102-FEBE-40BD-ACCD-0708A5D6124A.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 26

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
looks great!

OP
Lou E

Lou E

Silver
Country flag
The fun continues!

Ordered some small sanding blocks, which should help with sanding the window frame flatter, so until they arrive I finally finished cleaning up the heater box. The leaking battery corroded everything but thankfully all the metal is still solid so I don’t need to replace the battery tray, just a little pitted in some areas but I’m not too worried about that as some time with high build primer and sandpaper when the time comes will leave things acceptable to my taste.

So back to the heater box, yesterday I had hit it a couple of times with paint stripper which made the work easier. If the weather holds I should be able to get some primer on it this weekend and continue sanding.

58C6373E-4C4F-41EB-8392-4824469E5B4D.jpeg

I
04911F65-3E5D-4460-8F3C-E7335A4E448C.jpeg

Much to my wife’s dismay the garage isn’t as neat as it once was…
35167673-8AC1-4C68-B653-463D0597EDAF.jpeg