• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Talk about OBD doing it's thing

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
1664040008412.png

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I want a throttle!!! :devilgrin:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I've always said, every pilot should have a few hours of glider time as it increases ones ability to make safer dead stick landings if needed. :encouragement:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've always said, every pilot should have a few hours of glider time as it increases ones ability to make safer dead stick landings if needed. :encouragement:
Fine unless the powered aircraft has the glide range of a house-brick. :eek:

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Years ago there was story in Readers' Digest about a commecial pilot that had recently qualified as a glider pilot landing his airliner using the glider experience.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Years ago there was story in Readers' Digest about a commecial pilot that had recently qualified as a glider pilot landing his airliner using the glider experience.
Sully Sullenberger is the one that comes to mind immediately for me. US Airways flight 1549..... glided into the Hudson with no loss of life. Amazing!

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A bit of 7500 perhaps but here goes:

a true story:

more recently an AirTransat Captain demonstrated an equally impressive feat of flying when he dead stick’d an A310 (IIRC) into The Azores after fuel starvation over the Atlantic Ocean. Sadly, it is somewhat tempered by the fact that the crew (and airline) put themselves in the situation in the first place but you guys can google that one on your own if you like. Nonetheless, they only had one chance…

Last edited:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A bit of 7500 perhaps but here goes:

a true story:

more recently an AirTransat Captain demonstrated an equally impressive feat of flying when he dead stick’d an A310 (IIRC) into The Azores after fuel starvation over the Atlantic Ocean. Sadly, it is somewhat tempered by the fact that the crew (and airline) put themselves in the situation in the first place but you guys can google that one on your own if you like. Nonetheless, they only had one chance…
This was the "Gimli Glider" as I have known it. A self inflicted situation indeed but a happy ending.

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes, the Gimli Glider as it became known for years after it was repaired and returned to service. A happy ending certainly but self inflicted isn’t entirely fair as there were problems with fuel system computers on a new aircraft type to the airline and miscommunication’s with the Line Service people when it came to converting lbs to gallons to litres (or something like that…). A classic Swiss cheese model!

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
At 8 yrs old, I got to handle a stick on a Navy trainer biplane, then the owner (Navy pilot who works with my Dad) let me steer a 4 passenger Stearman. At 10, my uncle came in with his semi and let me drive it down the highway ( 2 lanes back then ), and at 12, my neighbor got me on his motorcycle. Was driving farm trucks and tractors by 14. Boats came later.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Yes, the Gimli Glider as it became known for years after it was repaired and returned to service. A happy ending certainly but self inflicted isn’t entirely fair as there were problems with fuel system computers on a new aircraft type to the airline and miscommunication’s with the Line Service people when it came to converting lbs to gallons to litres (or something like that…). A classic Swiss cheese model!
IIRC it was the opposite - what they thought they were putting in in gallons, they were putting in in litres (1/4)