• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series 5 Speed Transmission

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Found the Phidiles nuts and are on order.
Here I'm getting ready to pull the transmission, I need it out to repair the Aluminum sump threads. Had to make a temp floor to rest it on after pulling it out. I need a wide floor base as the heater is in the way of the bell housing and need to turn the tranny hopefully to get it to pass. I don't want to pull the heater out!! Will show progress, if there is any!?!? PJ
temp tranny  floor.JPG

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Ran into a problem, the transmission spline is stuck in the clutch disc! Soaked in Kroll last night and today I believe I'll get it out, we'll see.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Paul, if the Kroil fails, try using the Weasel Pee. ATF seems to "creep" into corrosion better than all else.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I was going to do that Doc, but I decided to pull the unit with the pressure plate and disc attached. Working through the inspection hole with an 18" 3/8 extension and a short socket was a little much, but it worked. Transmission is out. Found out it wasn't rusted, it was a return spring on the pressure plate that broke, fell down, and jammed between the spline and plate. Borg & Beck pressure plate also! Here are a couple of pics. Kinda tough taking everything out through the top under the dash laying half on your stomach and being careful not to touch any painted surfaces! I do not want to do this job again, if needed I'll sell the car! :devilgrin: PJ
TF Transmission.jpg
TF Pressure Plate.jpg
TF Bell Housing.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Working through the inspection hole with an 18" 3/8 extension and a short socket was a little much, but it worked.
HA!!

Well done.

..I won't go into too much detail about the body contortions, but understand: At some point I may elaborate about having been "trapped" by the steering wheel in an E-Type, under the dash, upside-down and experiencing butt-cramp trying to get back out... :ROFLMAO:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
HA!! Well done. ..I won't go into too much detail about the body contortions, but understand: At some point I may elaborate about having been "trapped" by the steering wheel in an E-Type, under the dash, upside-down and experiencing butt-cramp trying to get back out... :ROFLMAO:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, Gary Krukoski in Minnesota is sending me a good pressure plate! (y)

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Pulled the clutch shaft to transfer to the new bell housing, new 3/4 inch forks are NA! Seems to be what most guys do. The parts came out in like new condition. At least something is in my favor!
Clutch shaft.jpg

BUT, an email from High Gear yesterday told me my transmission won't be delivered to me until the end of February! Seems like the manufacture of the shafts just got a delivery of supplies and said they have 600 orders to fill, High Gears order of 75 won't be filled for two months! :rolleyes2: Nice huh!

Last edited:
OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Got this in the mail yesterday from Gary Krukoski, wow!! Other than a few shelf scratches, it looks like a NOS part! PJ
Not quite NOS, :thumbsup2: but looks like very little use. (y)

Attachments

• DSC00563.JPG
    DSC00563.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just received info. my transmission will be sent out in 2 to 3 weeks. High Gear just got a supply of modified drive shafts. (y)

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just shipped this morning 1/25 with Fedex from the UK. (y)

Last edited:
OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Customs is holding up my transmission shipment in Memphis Tenn! After months of waiting, customs has thrown a wrench in its delivery! Two phone calls, many emails, and no word back from them! What else is new!! Disgusted, :unsure: :censored1:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nature of the beast these days. Hang in there!

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
One other advantage of a new transmission is the heat released from the unit is much lower with a new transmission. The original transmission would get very hot and that heat came up the shifter. Does not happen with a modern transmission.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, after 4+ months of waiting, all I want is to get this thing back together. Sure has been a
Royal Pain in the :censored1: !!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
UK FedEx is taking control of the situation! They actually emailed me and said they are sending all the needed documents to customs and not to worry. They will keep me advised. FedEx here seems like they have no idea what they are doing with customer relations and appear to drag their feet by not taking the bull by the horns and doing something about it. :rolleyes2:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had too many weird, unhappy experiences with FedEx recently.
Paul said:
FedEx here seems like they have no idea what they are doing with customer relations and appear to drag their feet by not taking the bull by the horns and doing something about it. :rolleyes2:

I've noted before: FedEx couldn't find their a$$, even if they used both hands.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Had too many weird, unhappy experiences with FedEx recently.

I've noted before: FedEx couldn't find their a$$, even if they used both hands.
I spoke with a FedEx employee and he told me that they are so filled up with outgoing deliveries that the place is in a state of total confusion! Seems like their hiring qualifications in that department doesn't require any intelligence! :rolleyes2:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I just received a list of direct connections to US Customs, phone numbers, Fax numbers, some US Gov sites, and a FedEx customs page. Monday I'm going to call some and hopefully find someone I can talk to. Actually, it's the first time I have fax numbers to send paperwork to them. FedEx UK said they sent the 5 forms to customs here, :rolleyes2: , but I don't know who to believe anymore! Frustrating for sure!
All of this stems from a 2-liter container of oil! It's classified as a hazardous material! If they sent it in a separate shipment, none of these problems would have occurred! Royal PITA! (y)

Last edited: