• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Rear seat

James A Martin

Country flag
My Dad had a Jag XK140 FHC With trip SUs. In 1959 we drove it down the AlCan Hwy. before it was paved. from Fairbanks to San Antonio, I was 8 yrs old and rode just that way the whole time. People used to ask 'Why not', heck it only had to run a couple weeks between servicing.

prb51 said:

I had a 190SL with a kinder seat in the rear...the 'kinder' sat sideways on a half seat behind the passenger with their feet in the opposite well...really not much room to bang around.
If you really want to go broke buying car parts get a 190SL...if you can afford a 300SL you wouldn't even think about the dough.
The TR3 rear seats do make great luggage shelves though.

My TR3B has been apart so long I don't remember if it came with the rear seat bottom. The seat back is just a card formed and covered with some padding and vinyl..I cant find the seat bottom. I think the bottom design for a sloped car would fit my flat design just be removing the bracket but I'm not sure.
Does anyone have any seat bottoms available, cover and padding condition is not an issue as it would be used for a pattern...
Thanks for your time.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Just so you know - I think your car would have had the seat bottom with more squarish corners - the earlier cars having a seat bottom with a rounded forward edge and more rounded corners.

I you are willing to upholster whatever you get then I think all there is to the bottom is plywood and some T-nuts - in which case a paper pattern and maybe a photo would be enough.

OP
J

James A Martin

Country flag
Just so you know - I think your car would have had the seat bottom with more squarish corners - the earlier cars having a seat bottom with a rounded forward edge and more rounded corners.

I you are willing to upholster whatever you get then I think all there is to the bottom is plywood and some T-nuts - in which case a paper pattern and maybe a photo would be enough.
Geo,
Yes you're right.
An old cover might help my upholsterer. If I don't hear of one before 7/28 I'll just concoct a board and turn my guy loose. Just matching the seat back should be no worries for him.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This is the drawing I used to make my seat bottom. I got the upholstery and padding from J. Skinner in the UK.

David
Rear seat plan.jpg
Rear seat completed top.jpg
Rear seat edge.jpg

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Great looking seat David,well done. I will have to save this for when I start working on the interior. Frank

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thank you Frank.
I thought that the foam they had sent me was way too thick but after working on it for a while using clamps I managed to get it buttoned up. The seat is nice and firm but not hard. Leg room in the TR3A rear seat is LIMITED..

David

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The 3B would not have the brackets shown above, as in my pre 60K car? Just looking at rear seats last weekend between pre and post 60K cars, quite a difference!

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I don't know about that, I am pretty short at 5'-7" and I was born in 1963. Frank

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I remember a post a while ago commenting on the advertising photos for the TR2 and how the people seemed to fit below the windshield. The commenter was 6' something and said he had to scrunch down or look over the top of the windscreen.
I am 5' 9" and have the seat set for a comfortable driving position and can just get my hand between the seat back and rear seat.
I do remember having 3 friends in my TR2 back in the 1960s but 2 of them may have been sitting on the rear apron. We did dumb things back then.

David