• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A back half to chassis questions

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The closing panels are all welded in. I am very happy with the results and looking forward to moving to another area.all the seams turned out nice and tight.
driver side closing panel welded in.jpg

Driver side closing panel welded in.
passenger side closing panel welded in.jpg

Passenger side closing panel welded in.

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thank you Graham, so far so good. Also very happy with the bumperette mounting. One of the bumperette brackets was bent up and had to be bent back to match the other but I am lucky I found both of them. on the first install made a rookie mistake and installed them upside down. I knew something was wrong but had to check the forum and sure enough upside down, much better now.
rear bumperettes first install.jpg

correct driver bumperette first install.jpg

maybe I will have to play with the vertical alignment as the driver side seems a little off but just first install.
correct passenger bumperette first install.jpg

The passenger side looks much better, not sure if cameras angle is making the driver side look off but should not be too hard to adjust. One question I have, The new lower closing panel does not have the notches cut in it yet but I do not see the purpose as the bracket clears that notch and I was able to install the brackets without any obstruction that the notch was needed. What is the purpose of the notch above the lower part of the bumperette mounting bracket? Frank

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
What does an end view look like of the bumperetts? They can go upside down; they should be vertical. The notch is there for the bracket. I will try and get a pic later. But it looks like they should be fine and if wrong can flip right over.

steve

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Sorry, not the best photos but a little cramped in the shop. Need to get rid of some of the clutter but soon as I do I will need something I just got rid of. Frank
Bumperettes side view #1.jpg

Bumperettes side view# 2.jpg

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Frank, I think the cutout is to allow for any small misalignment of the bracket or a slite nudge on a curb could make contact, I have more clearance on the left than the right, I think you will be happier with it than without.

Graham
IMG_1912.JPG
IMG_1909.JPG

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thank you Graham, excellent photo and explanation. I now see that I need to make an adjustment to the mounting bracket. The bottom of the bracket is too low, the last 2 bends need to move so the bracket is not below the bumperette and closer to the notch. This will also bring the bottom of the bumperette out and bring it closer to vertical. Frank
Bumperette bracket needs adjusting, too much gap.jpg

I feel like I have the rear body mounts correct and so I will have no problem adjusting the bracket. I feel much better seeing your photo and that it seems like an easy fix.

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
driver side bumperette bracket.jpg

The driver side is very close and all I need to do is cut the notch in the new closing panel to match the notch in the rear apron. It is the details like this that take the time but also make a big difference in how the car looks. Frank

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Every time you post new pics I find something else that impresses me. This time it's not just the car, but the very nice jack or frame jig you are using!

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thank you John. I guess it has been a couple years ago I built my rotisserie knowing that some day I would get to use it. For now it is used at the back with custom brackets that use the rear spring hanger as a mounting point. For now the front is on large jack stands. I had to put some wooden boxes under the frame at the back so I could lower the rotisserie and I could mount the as I have learned from the spare parts catalogue is called the over rider bracket. Getting to this point I have had to step back and take in just how far my car has come. There is a long way to go but I can start to see some of the pieces that have been repaired long ago start to come together. I definitely did things out of order but that is ok we are all different and do things at our own pace. Frank

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That's my other old chariot 1926 Chevrolet Tourer, I completed the restoration about 23 years ago.

Graham
IMG_0026.JPG
P1020840.JPG
P1000471.JPG

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I was wondering the same thing. WOW, SUPER WOW, That is a beauty. Frank

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thank you, it was a one owner, Uted during the War to gain extra fuel coupons as a farm vehicle and all the pieces were still scattered around the farm. This photo is what I took home arround 1985.

Graham
img20210712_09474124.jpg

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It took me about 10 years of scrounging and begging, some parts were still available new in Australia some from the USA but got there in the end. My future Daughter in Law spotted it in the back of my shed one day and declared that she wanted to be driven to her wedding in it and the date had already been set for six months from then, so I had a deadline to meet.
img20210712_11381820.jpg

Last edited:
OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Great photo, also great memories and stories of that day I am sure. Frank

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi Steve, yes they will flip over and that is how I had them at first. All the pictures I have looked at have the top of the bumperette even with the top of the spare tire opening. If you flip them they hang down below the bottom of the rear apron and the top of the mounting bracket is visible. I am confident they are on right side up. I plan to take another look at the mounting brackets tonight. Frank