• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Replace wiring harness in steering column

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve, I did take the parking light housing out when I switched the wires. That harness with a red, G/W and black wire; the red and gn/w wires go to the housing, the black goes in to a socket in the frame not in the light housing.

My housing is for a double filament bulb, not two bulbs? I have so many pic's members have sent me, please resend that pic you refer to. Dick

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
ok here is a passenger side with fuel line and driver side with distributor and horn.

steve

Attachments

• DSCN3639.JPG
    DSCN3639.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 71
  • DSCN3644.JPG
    DSCN3644.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 67

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Dick we are in Pasadena visiting. The fabric covered wires are original headlight and running light sub-harness wires that I figured out by plugging them into the main harness . Sounds like you have figured out the running lights, blinker lights and headlights on your car. What color wirer on the main harness on the passenger side is available for you to plug wires into

Steve

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Dick we are in Pasadena visiting. The fabric covered wires are original headlight and running light sub-harness wires that I figured out by plugging them into the main harness . Sounds like you have figured out the running lights, blinker lights and headlights on your car. What color wirer on the main harness on the passenger side is available for you to plug wires into

Steve
The only wires that are not connected to anything are a Gn/R wire on both sides.
I have got the two Gn/R wires on the drivers side plugged into a 4Way connector with the Hub Gn/R wire. They are successfully operating the left blinker. I have traced the Gn/W two wires, drivers side, to the F & R parking lites , on the psgr side, and plugged them into a 4Way connector with the Gn/W hub wire; like i did with the right blinker, no blink?

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Dick this schematic is the one Randall was working on and did not finish before he died. See if this diagram helps. Randall had drawn in with a purple pin the control head; in addition he shows dead end wires. I trust you know most computers will enlarge the diagram if you click on it.

Dick sounds to me like you may have mixed up the light green wire with the brown stripe, and the dark green wire with the brown stripe, and the dark green with the red stripe . The light green with brown stripe only comes out of the sub harness on the column.

The reason I thought a bulb might be out is because it sounds like you have the flasher working and the orange light in the cab working.

steve

Attachments

• wiring for tr3.jpg
    wiring for tr3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 61
OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Dick this schematic is the one Randall was working on and did not finish before he died. See if this diagram helps. Randall had drawn in with a purple pin the control head; in addition he shows dead end wires. I trust you know most computers will enlarge the diagram if you click on it.

Dick sounds to me like you may have mixed up the light green wire with the brown stripe, and the dark green wire with the brown stripe, and the dark green with the red stripe . The light green with brown stripe only comes out of the sub harness on the column.

The reason I thought a bulb might be out is because it sounds like you have the flasher working and the orange light in the cab working.

steve
Will check those wires tomorrow. Yes, The orange light on the dash does blink with the left blinker, nothing on the right. I will play Ring around the Rosey tomorrow with those 3 wires.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Will check those wires tomorrow. Yes, The orange light on the dash does blink with the left blinker, nothing on the right. I will play Ring around the Rosey tomorrow with those 3 wires.
You were right I did have the DkG/Bn and the LtG/Bn backwards. I swapped them and I now have the right rear blinker and the dash light. But, no front blinker?
My Hub wires are as follows: Bn to horn(works) DkG/Bn to two Gn/R left blinkers work LtG/Bn to two Gn/W wires rear blinker works G/R to Gn/B to flasher.

I am going to check the connections to the Rt frt parking lite to see if they are tight.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You were right I did have the DkG/Bn and the LtG/Bn backwards. I swapped them and I now have the right rear blinker and the dash light. But, no front blinker?
My Hub wires are as follows: Bn to horn(works) DkG/Bn to two Gn/R left blinkers work LtG/Bn to two Gn/W wires rear blinker works G/R to Gn/B to flasher.

I am going to check the connections to the Rt frt parking lite to see if they are tight.

This is the sketch I made when I was doing the wiring on my TR3A.

It may help.

DavidView attachment 70215
Steve, please explain your diagram. Are ther two G/Bn wire running from left to right? Where are those wires coming from? I have the single G/Bn wire from the hub connected to a similar wire that runs to the flasher.Dick

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Those are the wires that are in the harness. It was to help me understand where the G/Bn wires went. I traced them all out with a test light and marked both ends of each wire.

David

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Those are the wires that are in the harness. It was to help me understand where the G/Bn wires went. I traced them all out with a test light and marked both ends of each wire.

David
Will play with it some more today. I was so surprised to get the dash and rear right lites blinking; one Victory at a time. It's going into a good Brit repair shop next month to let them sort the SC problem and fix the leak in the OD section. From where it's leaking, I suspect the Adapter Plate is distorted. After sitting for 30 years, I want them to drive it to make sure the rest of the transmission is OK.
We will be in the mountains of N.C. in July and August, away from the Fl. heat.

Dick

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dick, At the risk of stepping in and muddying the water, I will add that those green/brown wires on the passenger side are there to allow the wiring of a right hand drive car. So on our left drive cars the wires on the right side are joined together and nothing else is connected on that side. On the driver's side you say you have correctly connected the two wire green / brown wires that go to the flasher unit.
Hope I helped and did not interfere.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Like Charley said hook the green with brown stripe together on the passenger side and leave them that way. How many wires do you have left on the passenger side unhooked? You should have 2 brown and green wires unhooked and looped together "like the picture." Only hook the one green and red wirer up for the blinker light on the passenger side.
steve

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Dick, At the risk of stepping in and muddying the water, I will add that those green/brown wires on the passenger side are there to allow the wiring of a right hand drive car. So on our left drive cars the wires on the right side are joined together and nothing else is connected on that side. On the driver's side you say you have correctly connected the two wire green / brown wires that go to the flasher unit.
Hope I helped and did not interfere.
Yes, I connected those two Gn/B wires to the flasher. Until then the left blinker did not work. I have the two Gn/R wires hooked to the hub Gn/R, that allowed the drivers blinkers to work, F & R. I also hooked the two Gn/W wires to the Hub Gn/W wire and i got the rear psgr blinker to work, but not the front? The dash lite works for both sides??

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Like Charley said hook the green with brown stripe together on the passenger side and leave them that way. How many wires do you have left on the passenger side unhooked? You should have 2 brown and green wires unhooked and looped together "like the picture." Only hook the one green and red wirer up for the blinker light on the passenger side.
steve
I have two Gn/R wires hooked to the hub Gn/R wire; Drivers side. That made the drivers side blinkers work. I have two Gn/R wires left, one on each side? The only Gn/Bn wires I had, drivers side, hooked to the flasher.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Dick this is a picture of the passenger side with the 3 extra wires: The 2 green wires with a brown stripe hook together and are deadened. The other deadened wirer in the picture is a green wirer with a red stripe. Look close at the stripe

Attachments

• DSCN3985.JPG
    DSCN3985.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 53

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Dick this is the drive side: the light green wire with red strip from the trafficker/steering column goes to the green and red double wires. The darker green and brown single wire goes to the green and brown for the flasher unit. There are NO extra wires on the driver side.

steve

Attachments

• DSCN3983.JPG
    DSCN3983.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 51
  • DSCN3980.JPG
    DSCN3980.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 49