• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Learning Japanese

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Neighbor with a G37 Infinity we did some extensive engine work on last year (oil pump shattered) has a 2008 Mazda 3 as the wife's grocery-getter. The little beastie went to limp mode recently, the cheezy code reader I have said the Transmission Control Module wasn't talking to the ECM... We went to YouTube for some visuals, then Mazda Forums. Seems the TCM issue is not uncommon with these models. We priced a new TCM and found that insulting ($350~$500, depending on source!) considering just WHERE the engineers decided to mount the unit: On TOP of the transmission case, just rear of the engine. It is bound to get hot enough to eventually fail. Sent the unit to an outfit in Lauderdale for a rebuild ($200--wasted) with "no joy". While hunting for a used unit, driving the car in third as the top gear caused a previously faulty repair (by either a ham-fisted P.O. or unscrupulous shop) of a plastic coolant manifold to leak, an engine overheat resulted, shooting superheated coolant onto the TCM. That cooked the "reconditioned" unit for certain. Replaced the coolant manifold (approx. $30), leak stopped. Got a good used TCM ($180) yesterday and installed it on the firewall, ran a good ground lead, all well away from direct contact with the aluminum trans case. Now no AT fault light, no overheating engine, shifts smoothly through the cogs.

This would have been a repair at a dealership costing well more than the car is worth. An independent shop came close to that.

What a game we play.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
good on you for being a good neighbour!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
You obviously knew what you were doing. I know little enough of old cars but less than nothing about new ones, plus I would have to climb into the engine compartment to reach many items. I'm at the mercy of my dealer and when out of warranty, my indy shop. Crank sensor? That's when I come near another old geezer. TCM? How about TCP - Tomcat p#ss - remember that stuff?

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
In addition, every time I work on a car I get broken blood vessels/purple blotches on my hands and arms. Picture attached. Blood thinners like coumadin will do that to you.

Attachments

• Bloody blotch.JPG
    Bloody blotch.JPG
    802.2 KB · Views: 67
OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well after the fourth time removing all the plastic covers, battery, ECM and suchlike, no blood sacrifice was needed this time. I count it as a minor miracle. ;)

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Update: They found a clean well maintained Toyota RAV4 for the wife.

...anybody want a 2008 Mazda 3, cheap? :D

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Same neighbor has a manual six-speed Nissan Altima, his daily commuter. He keeps his G37 in the garage, that's his toy. The Altima came home squealing like a pig a while back, belt noise and smoke. Alternator check showed only battery voltage while running (after cool-down, and no more squealing). Got an alternator today along with a new serpentine belt. Once the alternator is swapped out we'll have to run it long enough to determine if that was the whole issue. Could be coincidental to failure of one of the other spinny things driven by that belt... Waiting for a halt to all the rain before we begin the task.

The G37 engine bay after all the work and some added bling and paintwork:
G37_2.JPG