• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tri-Carb Throttle Controls

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So I’m trying to piece together the puzzle of linkages and rods for the throttle controls on the 62 .
Ive been referencing the two pics , one from Moss parts breakdown and the other from a nice engine bay found online .
Im pretty sure I have all the parts but the one which is confusing me is the rod that goes into that bushing mounted on the bulkhead .
I have the bushing ,and it lists the same bushing for all the 3000 series cars (item 85) . It’s rubber with a removable brass/bronze bushing .
The rod I have in my parts collection (item 60 Moss pic) doesn’t fit into the bushing in the bulkhead it’s too big . If I remove the brass/bronze bushing the hole in the rubber is a perfect fit for the rod (item 60) .But that can’t be right to just remove the bushing and have the rod sit in the rubber ?
The secondary rod which fits into the aluminum bracket on top of the centre carb is the correct size to fit in the bulkhead bushing .
What am I missing here , is it a different bulkhead bushing for the Tri-carb , do I have the wrong rod assembly .
Anybody with a tri-carb can you tell me if the diameter of the rods items 60 & 67 are they the same or is the bulkhead rod slightly larger ?

Attachments

• 4E3F3ABF-8F46-425F-B0FA-BE51062B33A0.png
    4E3F3ABF-8F46-425F-B0FA-BE51062B33A0.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • FCBD9A9C-1261-4395-80F1-4F02470BCF7C.jpeg
    FCBD9A9C-1261-4395-80F1-4F02470BCF7C.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 126

njunear

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Just measured mine and both rods are the same at a nominal 0.315 inches. The bulkhead bushing appears to have a metal bushing in it as well. Can't see the bushing but I can feel it with the tip of a knife.

Hope this helps.

Paul

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tks for measuring that Paul .
I have checked the size on mine and the rod that goes through the bracket mounted to the centre carb is .315” however the rod I have for the bulkhead bushing is .375” the same as the cross rod hidden away under the bulkhead .
I don’t have any other linkages in the boxes that I bought the car in so I can only assume it was actually being used .
New replacements are unobtainium so I will wait until the engine is in and carbs on to see if indeed ” the wrong linkage “ will do the job then I will machine down the portion that goes into the bulkhead bushing .
Don’t know if it makes a difference but my car is car #14268 with HS4s . Heritage cert matches all the numbers I have for the car .

njunear

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Glad to be of help. I doubt the VIN makes a difference and yours is about 3200 before our HS4-equipped #17466. I don't have the cert but have been lead to believe it was a January 1962 build.

Yes, machining the bulkhead rod may be your best bet. I poked the bulkhead fitting a bit closer and oddly enough, the 0.060 "oversize" you are seeing is about what i would say the metal bushing is. As an alternative, perhaps you could make a Nylon or similar "plug" to fit into the bulkhead fitting and drill it to fit your shaft. Not sure what came first - the Tricarb throttle linkage or some of Rube Goldberg's best work.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So after some grinding and careful filing the oversize rod now fits the bulkhead bushing nicely .
what Im looking for is a clear shot of the linkages on the side of the footbox LHD car showing the angles of the various levers and rods .
I think I have it right based on the Moss pic but that’s for a RHD car , it would be a whole lot easier to correct and glaring mistakes before the engine goes in .