• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tropical Fan

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So in a box I have a tropical fan. It is not in perfect shape, but a little aluminum welding it would be good. I am thinking it would need to be balanced after cleanup.....anyone know of a company that would do that??

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I don't, but I think if you just find a rod to fit the center hole and a level edge, you can balance it yourself. Allow the fan to roll until the heavy side is down, and remove a bit of metal from that side. Just keep repeating until the fan can be placed at any attitude and it stays without rolling.

Also work to match the pitch on the blades to be as close to possible to one another.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I think balancing would be good, but probably not mandatory; they bolt on the crank. I would use JB weld if the aluminum is oxidized with some small pin holes or something mostly because I am not a skilled welder. I have tropical fan that had some pin holes and rotted edges in the aluminum and that is how I fixed it with the JB and sandpaper basically built up a little material with JB. It looked to me that the metal was aged and feathered and welding would go up in smoke, but again you need a quality welder’s opinion. Maybe post a picture because I am curious also on the repair. Plus the aluminum they are made out of seems so soft.

steve

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I've had two fans fail before I finally installed the tropical:

Fan x 2.JPG

The tropical doesn't have as much aluminum extending out beyond the steel cruciform so a repair should not be as stressed - but I would be nonetheless concerned about it.

Randy's Fan 2.jpg

A departing fan blade can be troublesome. If they head down they just cut wires and hoses, but if they go up...

Fan Blade 2.JPG

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Convert the old fan to a Tr7 plastic 13 blade. Cut out the center section of the old unit true it up, drill 4 holes
the tr7 fan fits perfectly and pulls more air than a 250 fan. For less $$$ I have done over a dozen and they never
run hot again. EVER.
MD(mad dog)

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Convert the old fan to a Tr7 plastic 13 blade. Cut out the center section of the old unit true it up, drill 4 holes
the tr7 fan fits perfectly and pulls more air than a 250 fan. For less $$$ I have done over a dozen and they never
run hot again. EVER.
MD(mad dog)
That sounds interesting....

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've had two fans fail before I finally installed the tropical:

View attachment 68789

The tropical doesn't have as much aluminum extending out beyond the steel cruciform so a repair should not be as stressed - but I would be nonetheless concerned about it.

View attachment 68791

A departing fan blade can be troublesome. If they head down they just cut wires and hoses, but if they go up...

View attachment 68790
I will have to take another good look at mine to assess the situation

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
FYI the "tropical fan" was a 6 blade that could be special ordered from the dealer up till the early 70's
when it was discontinued .It worked OK but was not a cure all. The tr7 fan is the cure all since the blades will
not metal fatigue and cause catastrophic failures on the road(never happens at home does it)
I will come up with a picture soon and post it here.
MD(MAD DOG)

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
You can use the red 5 bladed non metal fan from the BMW 2002 series.The center hub holes are even in the correct place. I believe the fan from a Volvo 122S will fit as well. Use anything but the stock fan as it was designed for use in Jolly Olde Engand☔ weather.🙂

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
13 blades is MUCH better than5.But look at the cost of a BMW part compared to a nice used (often free)
tr7 fan.
MD

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Sod off with that German BS, here is the Tr7 fan installed. I a Tr3. As with all fans it requires some rotation.....

Attachments

• IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 70

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Sod off with that German BS, here is the Tr7 fan installed. I a Tr3. As with all fans it requires some rotation.....
It was Randall that recommended using the Volvo 122 fan for better cooling. Would you tell him to sod off with his Swedish BS? To each his own.:smile:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Is it the photo or are the blades not all spaced equally?

The photo is an accurate depiction... a strange but balanced arrangement. Here's a more straight-on view:

s-l500.jpg

Look for 3 'Y's in the scheme and you may begin to see why it works.

The late Bob Schaller was the origin of the Volvo fan idea but good luck trying to find one. It makes the TR Tropical fan look common.

No one here has mentioned Macy's Hurricane Fan. I have not used one but it looks like a great solution.