• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 Cam and Lifter Problems

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Had my original cam reground to a new profile by Delta Cam in Tacoma Washington back in 03. At the time I purchased new lifters from TRF. Did the Ishy cam brake in lube and the proper brake in over time and always use oil with ZDDP in it. It's been over 20k miles now and had to remove the head to replace the head gasket. Much to my surprise #1 lifter is toast! Pulled the cam and #1 &3 have some pitting. My mechanic thinks it was a lifter malfunction vs cam. I have a couple of cams left here one is the same profile and the other is an original stock regrind. My dilemma now is what lifters to get. Not going with the standard grade ones but don't want to spend $300 ether. Anyway Moss has the APT # 838-307 at $269. Ouch! Are they really that good? BPNW has a heavy duty tappet that is tuftrided for $7.95 each. My mechanic was trying to get me to buy some composite ones where the composite was used in the Space Shuttle tiles. They were over $300 back in 03 and not even available now. Looking for someone who has used the Moss or BPNW ones and would like to here their results.

Attachments

• 20210403_122128.jpg
    20210403_122128.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It’s normal to get the liftersas recommended by the cam makers

tuftrided is good but they are cheap for hardened lifters.
which ever you get they need to turn freely esp when warm.
and don’t over spring your valves.

these are top people in the uk as a guide for prices of quality parts.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
No experience to report back as of yet, but I went with the BPNW 150 HP PI CAM and the Heavy Duty Lifters in mine.

Cheers,
Tush

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I'd have someone see if the valve springs are appropriate compressed length for the cam....I'm thinking maybe spring bind. Maybe.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'll say I think I had spring bind on the original valve springs because 3 of them broke over time. Still had 20k on it before it happened so can't say for sure and I forgot to measure the gap if any when I took the old springs out. When the 3rd one broke I knew it wasn't a fluke and had to do something. I order the ones from BPNW that are designed for more valve travel and don't have a lot of spring pressure ether. My mechanic has a spring pressure machine and they were within Triumph specks.
Looking at the lifters the markings on the sides leads me to believe that they aren't turning freely ether. My block was brand new back in 03 when I built the motor. TRF had brand new blocks that Charles found in the UK somewhere. The new block was half the cost of the machining of my old one so I did it. Hopefully there are more options out there then just these 2 choices.

Attachments

• 20210404_175218.jpg
    20210404_175218.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 95

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Lifters should be Rockwell tested as a precaution. I have seen Lifters from good part suppliers that were
garbage when new . They should be hardened to at least 60 , less is WAY substandard.
MD(mad dog)

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you are considering stuff from APT, why not just get it from directly from APT? Here are their heavy duty chilled iron lifters:

When I was setting up my cylinder head, they fixed me up with a set of valve springs from Crane or Isky (don't recall which) along with valve guide seals. Note that for dual springs, you will need to fly cut the valve guides to use the seals.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Not to advertise but I second the recommendation to go direct to APT. Used them many times with great results

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Didn't know you can do that. I will for sure. Saves me $100!

Here is another question then. Restoring a 69TR6. I sent the original cam and lifters to Delta Camshaft to have reground. What about the original lifters. Should I still reuse them now that they have been resurfaced? They are the originals so better material.

Last edited:

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have dealt with APT off and on for about 20 years now, good folks, know their stuff and customer service is first rate in my experience.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I have been using resurfaced lifts on tr3s for many years because of my fear of aftermarket stuff, and I figured the original had lasted this long must be strong

Steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I am currently running the original cam, with the cam and lifters re-ground. 4 years running without issues.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ya that's what I was thinking. I do have an extra set too that I sent in when I had my cams reground. I could use that extra $200 bucks right about now.