• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Passenger side fender mirror.......

Skellyt

Freshman Member
Country flag
You should be able to adjust it and when adjusted tighten the two little screws to hold it firm. However, because the mirror sits out over the fender, it is susceptible to being banged around as you or someone else (ie. car shows, etc.) walks near the car. If tightened too much, it could be broken if hit. To prevent this, I rotate the mirror inwards, so they do not hang out over the fenders. While the fender mirrors look great and are useful to view traffic on either side, I depend more on the rear view mirror. Hope this helps.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Honestly, the wing mounted mirrors are a losing proposition. Every wing I have owned (8 wings over 2 restorations) have had at least 3 holes where the mirrors were installed, broken out, relocated, broken out, etc. There is too much vibration for 18gage steel to support. Now, if you could mount a steel backing plate to distribute the load, I think it would be more stable and hold an alignment better...but that is something you would have to do during a paint job.

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Honestly, the wing mounted mirrors are a losing proposition. Every wing I have owned (8 wings over 2 restorations) have had at least 3 holes where the mirrors were installed, broken out, relocated, broken out, etc. There is too much vibration for 18gage steel to support. Now, if you could mount a steel backing plate to distribute the load, I think it would be more stable and hold an alignment better...but that is something you would have to do during a paint job.
It looks like you have done away with them entirely in your profile pic. Probably safer to shoulder check anyway than to relay on the wing mirror.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I could not keep mine adjusted and if I could do it over I would have welded the holes up.

Made a mirror mount that goes n the windscreen stanchion. It works well and I can adjust it as I drive if I have to. It is also a convex mirror which helps a great deal. The mirror on the wing is flat so it has a very small field of view.
Latest morror mount.jpg

David

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I could not keep mine adjusted and if I could do it over I would have welded the holes up.

Made a mirror mount that goes n the windscreen stanchion. It works well and I can adjust it as I drive if I have to. It is also a convex mirror which helps a great deal. The mirror on the wing is flat so it has a very small field of view.View attachment 68174

David
Is that a self tapping screw holding the mirror bracket to the stanchion? I'm wondering if that setup would work on the passenger side because of the angle of site? I think I saw where someone had mounted a Harley Davidson mirror to the stanchion....have you ever seen that?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I refused to install fender mirrors on my TF since it never had them and I didn't want to drill holes in my perfect fenders. So I bought a pair of these from Moss and love them! If the windscreen is down, they can be rotated and still used. PJ
mirrors & Wind wings.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Is that a self tapping screw holding the mirror bracket to the stanchion? I'm wondering if that setup would work on the passenger side because of the angle of site? I think I saw where someone had mounted a Harley Davidson mirror to the stanchion....have you ever seen that?
It is a Chrome Button head socket cap screw that matches the Stanchion mounting nut. I bought a pack of 10 from Mc Master Carr. Works great. Bent up the SS bracket from some material I had in the shop.
PM if you need one.

David

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Here’s my solution, which I spotted on an MGA on the web. I used one existing hole, and drilled and tapped another (using a BA tap), plus some extra strong clear epoxy. I really like the results!

image.jpg

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have to say there some great looking cars and great ideas on a common problem and your pic are great also.

Basil you might think of setting up a thread of pic of this and other parts, Like say dashes or wiring up-dates. radios. Things that were mist in the 40's 50's 60's 70's and 80's
Madflyer

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I used one of the fender mirrors. The stud on the original mirror is too short, so I cut it off, drilled and threaded a 5/16"-24 hole and screwed in a stud long enough to screw into the one of the stanchion holes. This will only work with the non-dzus stanchions. I still have both fender mirrors, and unless I bump into them, they stay put. Both fender mirrors are convex and the stanchion mirror is flat. That gives me a great view to the sides.

Attachments

• DSC_3263026.jpg
    DSC_3263026.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_3275028.jpg
    DSC_3275028.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 76
OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
That looks like a great way to solve the problem. It dosn't look like the wind wings would fit after that mod though? Guess a person just goes for one or the other.

E Williamson

Freshman Member
Country flag
I agree that the wing mirrors are a RPIA (R = royal). I first endured them on an MGA Twin Cam back in the 70s and they were useless then and they are useless now, but I still like them vintage-appearance-wise. Plus, I have two very nice holes in my fenders/wings and something needs to go there other than the diplomatic flags of friendly nations.

Interestingly, the windscreen stanchion mount derives from early convex mirrors on the Model T Ford where they were frequently built into the backs of stanchion mounted spotlights.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
That looks like a great way to solve the problem. It dosn't look like the wind wings would fit after that mod though? Guess a person just goes for one or the other.

I was never a fan of the wind wings, so the thought of the mirror interfering hadn't crossed my mind. I suppose the mirror could be mounted in the front screw hole of the stanchion. That might work.