• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
A month or two ago, my shop compressor quit - research showed that it was likely the unloader valve. (IN a nutshell, this empties the piston of air so that it can restart - it starts OK, but only the first fill and then, just hums and blows the fuse as the piston is under pressure.

Finally got around to pulling the compressor out of its corner, and started trying to figure out what the unloader valve actually was. Touched a hose and it fell off the unit - turns out the valve was fine but the set screw had fallen out - effectively disconnecting it. So, dragged out the box O screws and, second screw I tried, fit!

So, it actually took longer to get the compressor out of its corner than to actually repair - less than five minutes!

And, then the couple of tasks I needed a compressor for - well all went perfectly.

Happy guy!

dklawson

Yoda
On my compressor the unloader valve is "T"d off the the pump head and twice over twenty years I've had problems with it, both due to fatigue of metal tubing and fittings. Sometimes the unloader valve spooks me. The compressor will stop suddenly and 5 minutes later you'll hear the "whoosh" as the valve finally opens. So far, no blown fuses.

What I've had fail more than that have been the reed valves in the head. I've gone through two sets... at least they are still available! I'm the second owner of this compressor... I think it was made in the mid-1970s.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've been very lucky with my AC and I use it a lot sometimes and other times it just sits. I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I cracked the bottom drain valve open just enough to have the AC cycle once a day. It keeps the air dryer by draining the condensation and helps keep the moving parts moving.
Rut

dklawson

Yoda
I installed the cheap Harbor Freight auto-drain kit on my compressor. It "T"s into the line for the unloader valve. Each time the compressor cycles "off", a pulse of pressure opens the drain to blow condensate out of the tank. It's not perfect but it does work and is very affordable. I have routed the drain line out of my garage so I don't have a mess on the floor during the moist summer months.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Funny thing about the "I'd rather be lucky than good" expression. I once used it on my Dad, and he looked at me rather sternly. "Not me" he said. "I'd rather be good. Luck depends on chance and factors that are not in your control. I would rather be good than have to depend on something that is completely out of my hands."

Just a thought for today...

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Funny thing about the "I'd rather be lucky than good" expression. I once used it on my Dad, and he looked at me rather sternly. "Not me" he said. "I'd rather be good. Luck depends on chance and factors that are not in your control. I would rather be good than have to depend on something that is completely out of my hands."

Just a thought for today...

Sometimes I'll take it either way :angel: Philosophically I am actually much much more inclined to recall "Luck favours the prepared" a slight misquote of Louis Pasteur (who actually said "fortune favours the prepared mind") :cheers: especially since I am not exactly in the "luck" business if you know what I mean. :D