• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Add brake light to Rear turn signals

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Has anyone switched the single filament rear turn signal beehive light to a double filament light and add a brake light on a 60 TR3? Is this a simple way to add an additional brake light? Thanks and have a good day!

John

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It depends on what you call simple. It is not complicated. What you would need to do is to change the bulb holder from a single element bulb to a double element bulb. This is because the single element bulb has two exterior pins low on the bulb and exactly opposite each other. The double element bulb has one pin low and one pin midway up the base. These holders are available from most of the suppliers. Then you would need to run a jumper wire from the green/purple wire at each tail light over to the new location at the turn signal.
Charley

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
My problem with what is being suggested here is that you'll now end up, yes, with additional brake lights, but simply trying to utilize a dual-filament bulb means that you'll either have two extra but DIM brake lights, or you'll have DIM flashers. I don't see either as a net gain. One could get past that, though, by staying with the single-filament bulb and adding a relay circuit so that a flasher can continue to function while brake lights are on.

Something tells me this has been covered here before, so a search might be warranted. That, or Randall will chime in and explain (again?) what he's done! :D

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I think Andy's right. The other thread he mentions, if I remember, has to do with adding a center brae light. That seems to make more sense to me. Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I did this. Sort of backed into it though.

A set of dual filament clear lens fixtures came up for cheap on eBay. I bought them to swap out my late TR4 turn signals to have the early TR4 version (the late lamps were much larger and looked strange on the original TR4 grille. To do this I only needed a single filament so I used the fixture from the TR3 turn signals (plus the clear eBay lenses) for the front of the TR4 and used the dual filament fixtures (and the original red lenses) on the TR3. Still with me?

Anyway, it cost nothing but my time and I figured -- dim as they may be -- more brake lights are better. I also have a magnet-base red towing light to sit on the rear deck when I will be driving in traffic.

I did add a relay to the brake light circuit to try to spare that pressure switch from an even earlier demise due to more load.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm with Andy Mace; I don't like dim so I went one step further. LEDs. Since I have already converted to Neg. ground it was pretty simple. I left the single filament setup in the turn signals, switched out the incandescent(s) to LEDs and then installed a relay system similar to what the boat trailer guys use. I used Hoppyâ„¢ part 48845 "Tail Light Converter". While I was at it, I changed out my tail & brake lights to LEDs., similar to what Moss sells, but I made my own. (That step isn't necessary*) You can get the Hoppy converter at any auto parts store, or order it online direct from the factory. Attached is a set of instructions for converting a 4 light TR3 using the Hoppy converter.
*If you do convert your tail lights to LEDs, do not change out the front turn signal bulbs; They provide the resistance necessary to keep the flasher unit functioning.
FRank

Attachments

• F_Hoppy Instructions 3A_B for forum.doc
    207.5 KB · Views: 135

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I also have a magnet-base red towing light to sit on the rear deck when I will be driving in traffic.
It occurs to me that this just might be the best and easiest solution of all! Cheap, cheerful, not terribly expensive, instantly removable...no down side at all!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
But it is ugly...

TR3LuggageRack_zps2a808236.jpg

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
What about a ledstrip in the lugagecase ?

croz

Country flag
Hello John,
I switch the bulbs for an LED tail light kit. The install was relatively easy. Just take your time and check the circuit board fitting as you go. The result is at least 100% more illumination. Well worth the effort. Shop around. Both positive and negative ground are available.
Steve

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I tried the dual filament bulbs on my TR3A, with the dim filament wired to the brake lights. As noted, not real bright, but still an improvement IMO. Adding a collar of silvered Mylar around each bulb helped.

FWIW, here's where I'm currently at with my TR3. Hopefully, the 4 or 5 fast flashes will help get the attention of the driver behind me, without being TOO annoying. Seems to work well so far. Adding the center brake light from an early TR3 might be another option for the later cars (although it needs a hole in the rear panel).

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Nice seizure-inducing light show there, very effective.

I never plan to drive at night on a highway but I can arise - so that black thing in the middle of the top bar of the luggage rack in the above picture is a fitting for one of those blinking red LEDs made for cyclists. Perhaps a bit much but AZ freeway traffic moves at 85+ so a night drive on the interstate requires some caution. No idea if it is legal.