• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Girling Brake Help needed [I hope]

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Friends, I just found out that the brakes on my Vauxhall Viva are Girling and, at least the rears, the same as a Spitfire.

When I got the car, it was essentially missing the brake lines completely. So, I have to re-create the lines. Unfortunately, the information on the interweb is really really confusing. So, here is what I do know - can someone help? thanks! (reposted from another site - so the syntax is off)

specifically, what is the "Girling Bubble" is this the same as anything else? thoughts

so, quick update - I got the cylinders off, only destroyed one clip, adjusters are clean and ready to go, just waiting on new clips and a few other bits and bobs. In the meantime, time to learn about brakes.

I just learned (see other thread) that the car came with a hard line on the axle connecting the rear cylinders - thanks for that. Basically, the car had no brake lines at all when it came so, I am essentially starting from scratch! This is also new territory so, please forgive my ignorance.

In the boxes of bits and bobs, this was found - a new pre made line shown here next to an old one (please forgive the focus)

close up the label says:

it does connect to the old line:

but the ends seem different:

are they different? or slightly different versions of the same? It looks like 3/16" double flared - is this correct?

Thanks for any help, and, if this is the time to switch to an easier profile, please remember I essentially have nothing now except the Master Cylinder and Slave cylinders.

as always, thanks for your help,
JP

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
J-P - the two ends are different. Note the different flare shape and taper angles:

97_2011072613131225385_71429363003060_1311765689.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I certainly could - however, it is $220.00 to get it here - which is pretty spendy compared to making them plus, I'd like to develop the skill.
Skill is fine. My thoughts are that your time is worth something, as is your ultimate safety and peace of mind. These kits come with proper fittings and flares, and the lines are all exactly the length they should be. You bend, fit, tighten and drive away.

Cheers!

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Andy,
I just looked up the brake line sets and saw that they are copper lines. My concern is the copper . I know that our lines were originally steel and now there is a copper nickel that is stronger than just copper but bends more like the copper. So is having steel an overkill and copper will be just as safe?
Charley

HarryL

Jedi Trainee
When I rebuilt my 4A I went with the copper brake and fuel line sets offered.
They were easier to bend into shape & had a great finish to them.
Harry

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Andy,
I just looked up the brake line sets and saw that they are copper lines. My concern is the copper . I know that our lines were originally steel and now there is a copper nickel that is stronger than just copper but bends more like the copper. So is having steel an overkill and copper will be just as safe?
Charley
"Pure" copper is actually frowned upon by many and even banned in some jurisdictions. But I'm pretty sure this and other companies offer "Kunifer" or Copper/Nickel lines as well, and those are pretty much universally accepted.