• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Body Measurement differences between pre & post 60,000 TR3s

Miles58

Freshman Member
Country flag
Members, I need some advice

I have a 58 TR3A (TS25663L) I have begun gathering body repair parts for in anticipation of a full restoration. The car is in pretty bad shape, particularly the rear section, aft of the B posts. The floors are gone and large portions of the truck floor...you get the picture. I purchased a post-60,000 rear section that was in pretty good condition for a great price. It had been cannibalized by the PO around the spare tire storage and rear panel but otherwise was pretty solid. I recently purchased a rear panel repair section from Victoria British and began to compare the panel's measurements to both the pre and post 60,000 rear sections. It seemed the pre-60000 was wider than the post 60000 and the repair panel seemed to match the post 60,000 better.

Here's my question, can I successfully mate the pre-60000 front end to the post 60,000 rear? Does any one of you have measurements of their cars I could use as a reference? Can I alter the post rear to conform to the pre measurements?

BTW, I've owned the car since 1977 and drove it daily from 77-83, then marriage, military, travel and children took hold. Now trying to do what I've wanted to do for years.

Thanks, Larry

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You are right. My pre-60k tub measures 45-1/4" at the tail lights. My post-60k is 44-1/8". Past that, I am not sure what to tell you. An inch is enough to open up a can of worms in trying to change along the rear quarters. If I were looking at it, I'd likely look for a closer panel, or plan on a lot of time to fit that one.

OP
M

Miles58

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks. That helps confirm there are differences. Now to decide to how to rebuild the pre-60000 rear. I'm think I may still be able to salvage individual parts off the post 60000 rear if i disassemble it. I will definitely have to do more work that I had hoped or planned.

Larry

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I've seen a few "clip" cars over the years: post-60000 front and pre- rear end and vice versa, so I'm sure it can be done. There's a pretty good chance that this would greatly reduce the value of the car to a future potentially serious buyer if he/she has even a passing knowledge of these cars, though! Just sayin'....

OP
M

Miles58

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks Andy, I would also suspect it might cause a problem with a future buyer (although my children are forcing me to will the car to them, LOL). The right answer is I have to rebuild the existing rear section and either try and sale my post 60 rear to recoup some cash for new parts or break it down into parts I can use, specifically the B Posts. I have my work cut out for me.

Larry