• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Speedometer cable fastener locations

Chuck Murphy

Country flag
I am installing the speedometer cable on my 1957 TR3 left-hand drive with Overdrive. I am confused as to where this long speedometer cable is fastened to the car body. I have the clip located by the battery box. Are there any more clips/fasteners? Any on the valence? The parts book does list two more clips - one to cruciform and one to frame (the clips appear to be of the type used to hold the brake line to the frame). I can not see where any such clips would fit (unless I have used a frame hole for a brake line clip and it is really for the speedo cable???). Chuck

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I am not sure on an OD cable, but I remember thinking the same thing once, and it turned out that I had put the brake line there and the connector was a brake line clip. I remember thinking also that the clip might pinch the cable. Next time I am under the car I will see what I did. I just cannot remember.

OP
C

Chuck Murphy

Country flag
Thanks for the info. Also read the earlier posts on this topic. But I am still confused. (1) I am not sure which clip on the frame should get the brake line and which clip should get the speedo cable. There is a clip a few inches to the rear of the rubber grommet that the brake line and speedo cable go thru on the frame. Is that the clip that is for the speedo cable? It would tend to pull the speedo cable forward so it does not interfer with the jackng hole. (2) I am more concerned that the speedo cable in the egine compartment is so flopy - does it go on the engine or fender side on the choke cable?? I do have the cable clip at the battery box. I don't know why I am finding this so confusing! Chuck

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Hope these help. This one shows my rusty old cable running up and accross the front top edge of the firewall. Two clips shown. It's the larger of the many wires/cables in the picture.
null_zps3f159686.jpg

And here it is going into the upper firewall.

null_zps8417c40b.jpg

In answer to your question, it routes well inboard of the choke cable and brake line.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
John-

I'm glad you posted that - first time I've seen a picture of a clip on the lower side of the firewall.

Randy

OP
C

Chuck Murphy

Country flag
I have never seen that clip on the lower side on the firewall before either - and it does solve my problem of a floppy speedo cable in the engine compartment. Thanks for the photo John!
Chuck

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks also for the picture. I am restoring a 3A that I did not take apart. Seeing the location of the electrical parts , clips and what was used for rubber plugs on the dash if extremely helpful.
Charley

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks, I noticed the wiper motor on the " wrong" side. I was looking at the electrics and their positioning. My last TR3 was a 3B. So it had the later fuse box and Lucar connectors. I notice that the flasher unit has the connectors converted to Lucar ends. I am guessing that the location of that flasher unit could be elsewhere but still close.
Charley

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Charley, these will help more with the TR3A. If you need any more angles, just let me know, as there are many more pics where this one came from!

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John,
Thank you for the pictures, your car has the Lucar or spade connectors. I am working on a car with bare wire ends and the old style fuse box. What I am looking for is the proper location and orientation of the voltage regulator, fuse box and solenoid. I noticed on the TR2 in the previous picture that the direction of the voltage regulator and fuse box was different than on your car ( which was the same as my 3B). I am thinking that the wire harness change came at TS60000.
Charley

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Don,
Excellent view and clarity, I can see the color of all of the wires and everything that I wanted to see. It looks like the TR2 and early TR3 were the same in this regard.
Thank you very much for the help.
Charley