• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Great Science That I Am Sure Is True

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Brains of older people are slow because they know so much. People do not decline mentally with age; it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe. Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full, so too do humans take longer to access information, it has been suggested. Researchers say this slowing down is not the same as cognitive decline.

The human brain works slower in old age, said Dr. Michael Ramscar, but only because we have stored more information over time. The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.

Also, older people often go to another room to get something and when they get there, they stand there wondering what they came for. It is NOT a memory problem; it is nature's way of making older people do more exercise.

SO THERE!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I like it!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OH SURE !!!--------:glee:

Country flag
It's on the internet so it's gotta be true!! :D

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
what were we talking about

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Brains... I think.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Our brains are certainly like computers! Remember what happens when your computer gets too much info packed in there. It slows down, gags and eventually just creeps along, but at least in a computer you can up grade it's memory. It's great to be smart, but trying to remember just how much is the problem! I agree with the exercise thing, I get a lot of it that way! :highly_amused:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Amen! Like putting your glasses on bench to do some close work and then cannot find them and have to walk to house and get other pair to find them.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The real problem seems to be that RAM gets somehow changed to ROM.

Country flag
Which then can be used to infer that perhaps the reason some older folks have trouble with new technology is because they're running earlier versions of the software which contains no routines to handle the requests... My college educated grandmother would have found what you could do and see with the internet fasinating, but she had trouble learning to do much more that heat things up with a microwave 20 years ago before passing.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
We got my Mother-in-Law cable TV. She is going on 88 and could not figure new remote. Wanted old TV back, showed her that the old analog was blue screen, she then promptly sat down and ran thru the channels one by one.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, I'm glad I'm not alone! You know what they say, misery likes company. :highly_amused: