• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedometer Question

TodE

Jedi Hopeful
I have read that you can check if your speedometer is working by attaching a drill to the speedometer cable. Someone told me you have to run the drill in reverse?
Before I do this I wanted to check if anybody has done this and is there any harm that can be done to the speedometer or cable.
Is there anything else I need to know before I trash a perfectly good speedo.

Thank you in advance.

andrewss

Jedi Hopeful
Yes you can... I suggest that you give it a good covering of WD40 and turn it by hand before attaching the drill. I assume that you want to test for accuracy ? If so, there are far more qualified members on this forum that can give you guidance on calibration..

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey TodE,
If you're just wanting to check the accuracy of it, download one the free "speedometer" apps to your smart phone that have the built in GPS. Thought mine was off but after comparing it to the app speeds via GPS, found it was almost spot on.
Regards
Mike

Country flag
If you have an old speedometer cable cut it off at about 12", chuck the cut end in your drill and use it to drive the speedo. Twirl the cable with your fingers first to make sure the speedo isn't frozen. It should spin in either direction--CC or CCW--but the needle will only respond in one (think it's reverse, but not sure).

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
You haven't said if yours is working or not? What's the problem?
By just observing the speedo you can learn a lot.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The drill speed will normally run faster then the speedo cable does from the trans so be careful.

OP
T

TodE

Jedi Hopeful
Johnny, Yes I just want to see if it is working. I had the speedo in the car, with the car on jack stands, I started the car put it in gear and slowly depressed the pedal. The cable in the angle drive broke. (I later found out you need the copper washer on the angle drive on the transmission side.) I thought the speedo was froze, but now I am not sure. This speedo did not come out of this car, it was a used one I bought.
Does anybody know if Nisonger rebuilds angle drives? If so does anybody know the cost?

Country flag
At $43.50 from Moss, it's not worth rebuilding. We rebuilt a BN2 drive from a couple donors, but those are a couple hundred bucks.