• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A After market side curtain ???

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I bought a set of A/M side curtains for my late TR3. I'm don't know exactly what I have. They are aluminum frames with plexiglass sliders. The bottom section, below the window is a solid,pebble grain, panel of aluminum, that fits the drop down contour of the door. I found one photo of a car wearing side curtains just as I described, but many photos of a curtain with the same window frame, but vinyl as the bottom panel. I'm wondering if the bottom of mine should be covered with vinyl, either glued on, or loosely fit over the aluminum. It seems that it would be very easy to cover that panel with glued on vinyl, much like the cockpit trim is done. Can anybody that has the A/M side curtains, tell me if the vinyl is installed over the aluminum panel....and how? Any knowledgeable info would be appreciated. Photos would be a real bonus. I doubt these will be on the car much, but just wanted something to close up the opening for the unlikely event that I get caught out in bad weather. Thanks, Joe

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Joe - are those sidecurtains "new"? or did someone maybe repair them ...?

My old Amco aftermarket curtains had heavy vinyl panels at the bottom - definitely no aluminum. The photo shows mine (upside down) in the garage.

IMG_04491.jpg

Feel free to ask more questions.

Tom

OP
Kleykamp

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Tom, They are used....very. I went thru the "search" and read what I could find. I did a photo search on google and found a photo of a set that look just exactly like mine, on a car, but only one out of many car photos. It seams that most, if not all, of the a/m curtains had vinyl in the area below the window. What I have read leads me to believe that some were soft "flaps" and some where ridged without any lift the dots needed or used. The aluminum panel at the bottom appears to be manufactured, not home made, as in a repair. Also, the fact that I did find a photo of a pair just like mine, actually on a car, validates they are manufactured...unless I was just lucky enough to end up with the exact set from the photo. My window frames look pretty much just like your photo,even down to the square "handle" on the plexiglass. But, the bottom panel is solid sheet aluminum with a pebble grain on the outside surface. The inside surface appears to have had something glued to it. I think these could be easily restored, if I knew where I was headed. Again, I'm not overly concerned that they be exact as I won't be entering any concourse judging but just want something presentable and accurate for the period.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Joe - might be helpful if you'd post a photo of what you have, or at least a link to the photo you found on the 'net.

There must have been something on the inside of the aluminum to prevent major scratching of the door paint. I know some early curtains just hung loosely, and didn't use the snaps. I assume yours have no way of snapping or "buttoning" to the studs on the door? On some models, the door studs were for the tonneau, not the sidecurtain.

Do your s/curtains fasten to the door interior using Dzus screws?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I have a pair just like them and have seen several others. I was told by the seller when I bought them that they came with the (aftermarket?) hard top.
Tom

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I have a pair exactly like you describe also. They came with this basket case I bought last year. Mine look fixable also. There is guy that supplies parts for the vinyl aftermarket side curtains for all the old sports cars. I would need to look around some for his name, but he should come up with goggle.

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
This may be what you have. The part below the window is made from a pebble surfaced aluminum sheet with a rubber seal around the bottom edge to protect the door surface. When attached to the door, they are positioned just above the Lift-a-Dot pegs. The inside of the panel is covered with a vinyl piece padded with foam rubber. As mentioned above, they came with the fiberglass hardtops but can also be used with soft tops.

My car came with a Parrish style hard top and these curtains when I bought it in 1973. I sold the hardtop soon after I got the car and recouped the entire purchase price of the car. The buyer didn't want the curtains. I have two sets with solid frames but both need restoration. I can take more pictures if you need them.

tr3sc1.jpgtr3sc2.jpg

Country flag
I have a couple of sets of aluminum ones as well. Not pretty but work good enough. I have thought about painting the botom satin black. Maybe they won't look so out of place with the black.
marv

OP
Kleykamp

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
This may be what you have. The part below the window is made from a pebble surfaced aluminum sheet with a rubber seal around the bottom edge to protect the door surface. When attached to the door, they are positioned just above the Lift-a-Dot pegs. The inside of the panel is covered with a vinyl piece padded with foam rubber. As mentioned above, they came with the fiberglass hardtops but can also be used with soft tops.

My car came with a Parrish style hard top and these curtains when I bought it in 1973. I sold the hardtop soon after I got the car and recouped the entire purchase price of the car. The buyer didn't want the curtains. I have two sets with solid frames but both need restoration. I can take more pictures if you need them.

View attachment 35698View attachment 35699

Yep, That is what I have. My lining and the rubber channel around the bottom is missing. I think I can make them presentable enough for my purposes. I actually even hate to put the dzus brackets on the door panel but just think I need something in case I get caught out in bad weather. But then, I'll probably have them hanging in the garage when I need them.
Marvin, painting satin black was a thought I had too, but also should be easy to use upholstery adhesive and glue vinyl to the outside, fold over the edge and then cover the inside with felt. Not sure how industrious I want to get. At least now I can get it water tight....HA!
Thanks all for the input.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I actually even hate to put the dzus brackets on the door panel but just think I need something in case I get caught out in bad weather. But then, I'll probably have them hanging in the garage when I need them..

Exactly why I'd recommend ditching those altogether and just go with a set that can be rolled up like Geo and Jerry have. They are a pain if you used them full time, but for the occasional rain shower, they take up no space until you need them!