• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye rear wheel advice needed

Rakos

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello all,
I wish to replace rear wheels (backing plate and all brake components). From looking at books, looks like I remove the drum, book says hub and half-axle can be removed with one philips screw (where is this screw?), then four screws remove the backing plate.
I think the oil seal may need to be replaced since there seems to be oil all over. What do I need to do to replace the oil seal? Where can I buy it?
Thanks,
John R, Ottawa, Canada
will replies automatacally get to me email: john@rakos.com ?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
John,
Welcome to the forum! Check out Moss Motors online and order a catalogue and order a Bentley manual. The rear axle seal is pretty straight forward and to do it safely put the car on jack stands before working underneath. Elevate the side you will be working on so the oil won't drain out, pull the wheel, brake drum, Pozidriv screw and half shaft should come out. Be sure to have your seal kit and a lot of people replace the bearings while you're in there if the old ones have any play...clean and repack at a minimum.
The brakes are easier to assemble on the new backing plate and install as a unit since you're replacing everything. You will need to remove the big nut to pull everything and they are handed, so be careful. The four nuts and bolts that hold the backing plate on will probably need to be replaced as most are pretty corroded...I tend to go all grade 8 fine thread.
Rut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 109
G

Once you get the wheel off you'll see the screw, its between the wheel studs. Once you get the screw out the axle can be pulled out by hand. The pic above shows the axle shaft already removed, notice the big nut. You need to take that off to get the hub off and the bearings and seal out. I use a big cresent wrench and punch one of the studs out so I can get the wrench on it., make sure to put a nut back on it before you try to beat the stud out. My old bearings were tighter than the new ones so I resued. IIRC its a 207 which is a very common bearing. A local industrial supply had them for $6.

nomad

Yoda
You have to determine whether the oil is coming from the axle seal or axle to hub seal or brake cylinder. Also whether you want to change out the backing plate. There are some modification's needed to go to the later backing plate.

Kurt

OP
R

Rakos

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks Rut and Kurt.
Just to make sure the seal has to be replaced: I had some oil on the brakes when I removed the drum. I removed all the brake components from the backing plate. I did not remove the hub and half shaft yet, but loosened the backing plate holding screws, when a lot of oil started coming out. Obvoiusly from the axle, but if I tighten everything would the leak stop? Also will the bearing have to be pulled by a special tool?
Tx, John

nomad

Yoda
I wouldn't know why loosening the backing plate should cause oil to leak out. That should have no relation or connection to oil. You will have to determine exactly where the oil has been leaking from. Getting the bearing off i have done with the lug bolts and various rube goldberg spacers. The Bentley manual is something you need.

Kurt.

G

Sounds like he disturbed the hub. I use a pry bar b/w the hub and wheel cylinder to get it off, gently pry, then 180 degrees on the other side and repeat.

OP
R

Rakos

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi guys, thanks for the advice.
Got the flange and half shaft out. The screw holding the flange onto the hub was really loose, and the paper gasket in bad shape, so that was probably part of the oil leak. I can not get the big nut off: I assume the left side is left handed thread. Tried Kellysguy suggestion but can not beat the studs out to get wrench on it. Looking around for a 1 7/8 socket.
The bearing has about 1/16 in play outside race, should I replace? Thinking if I can not get hub off just rebuild brake system onto old backing plate. Would like to replace since I have a nice complete rear wheel set, brakes, backing plate, drums and all.
Also I am in Ottawa, Canada in an unheated garage (got a radiant heater) so max time to fool around is about 2 hrs.
Merry Christmas to all,
John

nomad

Yoda
John there is supposed to be a paper gasket and an O ring to seal the axle to the hub. Not unusual for folks to have a leak there if things have been disturbed and not reassembled correctly. If you are talking 1/16 movement in and out by grabbing the hub and wiggling along the axis of the axle I would not think that to be excessive....anywhere else probably need's attention.

Kurt.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ace Hardware has the o rings and the gasket can be made from a brown paper bag.

When you get one that is just right copy it on your printer/copy machine and save it for a sample for the next time.

G

Just change the oring and gasket for now or you can leave both out and use silicone like Nial does. I like ultra black.

OP
R

Rakos

Freshman Member
Country flag
Buddy (John Smiley) has a 1 7/8 socket we got the left nut off. Since I want to replace backing plate and am 'in there' anyways will try to pull bearing in the next few days. I also tried pumping brake pedal and just a minor squirt comes out of brake line. Folks say it is a collapsed flexi hose. Agreed?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Buddy (John Smiley) has a 1 7/8 socket we got the left nut off. Since I want to replace backing plate and am 'in there' anyways will try to pull bearing in the next few days. I also tried pumping brake pedal and just a minor squirt comes out of brake line. Folks say it is a collapsed flexi hose. Agreed?

replace flexi hoses as a matter of course. However, if the bearing is not making noise, leave it alone - the general consensus I get from this board is that newer bearings are inferior - particularly when it comes to fit.

G

With the drum off? If so, don't do that.

OP
R

Rakos

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have pulled the hubs off, and removed the backing plates, thanks. Ordered the wheel bearing kit from Moss.
I think I need to drift the bearings out of the hubs. Is this difficult?
Also ordered new locating straps, and the flexible brake hose since very little fluid seems to be coming back, and 'everyone' says it could be collapsed. Considering replacing a quarter elliptical leaf since one is broken and car sags a bit on that side. Sound like major surgery.
John in Ottawa

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
not hard to drift out the bearings - from behind there is a sort of slot in the bore - big screwdriver and hammer and Bob's your uncle. Make sure you replace the flexible brake hose inbetween the axle and the hard line that runs under the car - in front of the gas tank - often overlooked.

nomad

Yoda
If you are going to replace hose's I highly recommend going to the stainless braided hose's all around. They greatly improve the brake "feel". They're worth the extra money.

If you are changing the backing plates from the early to the late you will have to do some modification to the plate and maybe a bit of grinding on the axle as well. Of course the parking brake rod's will require mod's as well.

Kurt.

OP
R

Rakos

Freshman Member
Country flag
Got the bearings out - easy. Ordered the hub kits from Moss Motors will let you know if the bearing is a good fit.
Ordered the locating straps and flexible brake hose; should be straightforward. I am considering replacing one of the quarter elliptical leaf springs since one leaf seems to be broken. Any advice on that?
Thanks, John

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Going to needs local Spring Shop likely to make you one.