• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

coventry climax

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Seems rare for sure.

Wikipedia says the Series 1 was actually designed around the Climax engine. ~Look Here~

Apparently they built about 100 of these cars but some also had MGA or side-valve Ford engines. For what it's worth, I've seen one with a Climax engine but never a Ford side valve.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
How special is the DOHC Climax in this Grantura?

The engine in the photos is a FIAT/OSCA, not a Climax. A twin-cam Climax would be very special, although likely not original.

I suspect there are some innocent transpositions in the description. The Climax serial number is "FEWxxxxx" but most likely was "FWExxxxx", since the original engine would probably have been a Coventry Climax "FWE". I can't can't find any references to an FEW. The FWE was 1216cc, not 1261 as in the listing. The FWE was originally offered in the TVR and was the same as used in the Lotus Elite. Climax twin-cams were almost all (all?) racing engines up around 1500cc.

I think the engine in the car is probably a better choice than an FWE and is a great powerplant in its own right. Looks like a really nice car!

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. The Osca would explain the downdraft also. I agree, the car is still quite nice. Tom

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
FWIW, I've seen a Ford engined Mk 1.

I suspect that most had the MGA engine however.

My Mk 3 had a 1622 engine. Although the other options were still on the books, I expect that they were a special order option.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Most early cars where fitted with Ford, or Climax power. There is one for sale on eBay UK at the moment.