• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Piano Dilemma

G

I was given a Howard-Baldwin upright piano today that dates b/w 1910-15. It stink, need some keys, retune and other work I'm unaware of. I really don't want it or to be bothered with disposal (which means I'll burn it in the back) which I ABSOLUTELY HATE the idea of. Any suggestions?

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
My in-laws had an upright of similar vintage. It was a player piano that had all the mechanics taken out. Weighed a ton! They donated it to a charity. Sometimes you may find a music conservatory or a piano tuning/repair school that would take it as a donation to be used as an instructional instrument or one they can restore.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Put on Craigslist and move it. I've got an upright that has been in the wife's family for years. Sis in law inherited a grand from an aunt and somehow we ended up with it. In the meantime she said she is selling grand because of room and wants this one back. Been storing for year now. Gave her to the 1st of next year or on Craigslist it goes. Free if I have to.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Why not do something like this?

533197f2697ab07ebf00215e._w.540_s.fit_.jpg

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/before-amp-after-a-craigslist-piano-with-a-surprise-inside-201704

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I was given a Howard-Baldwin upright piano today that dates b/w 1910-15. It stink, need some keys, retune and other work I'm unaware of. I really don't want it or to be bothered with disposal (which means I'll burn it in the back) which I ABSOLUTELY HATE the idea of. Any suggestions?

Since you've lost the keys, you can't start it anyways.... :p

1. pull it apart and make sculpture

2. Burn it - recreate interesting pics.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Too much money to put it right. I'd take it to pieces and use the various woods etc for different art projects. Maybe make an electric guitar out of some of the wood. If the black keys are ebony and not just dyed wood, you could sell the lot of them for a few bucks.

Or, gut it and hide a gun safe inside.

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
or stick it in the yard as a fountain.piano fountain.jpg

OP
G

Well I went and blew out all the dust and adjusted the thingamajig and it actually isn't all *that* bad considering. The cool thing is both upper and lower front panels come completely off so it's like having an upright grand piano. I have some keys here I can replace the veneers that fell off. It needs to be tuned but otherwise may be a "solid" player to learn on. It would make one heck of a gun cabinet though.:encouragement:

OP
G

Got it on the studio now, sure am glad I bought the one with a lift gate. :friendly_wink:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I like the gun cabinet idea, it would be both unique and cool

OP
G

I like the gun cabinet idea, it would be both unique and cool

Me too but I really like it in the studio now. I rearranged it some and now it has more room even though there is a piano in it now.:thumbsup: A little tuning and a key job and I'll have my own Saloon!:cowboy: I have my amp and two guitars next to it. I can't fit a whole drum kit but a Cajon and mabe a snare and I'll be set. All I need now is talent . :laugh:

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We had a good upright grand piano that took three professional movers everytime we moved it, and it was just taking space in our livingroom. It was from the 1890's and was beautiful, so we found a friend of our one son who is a talented musician, and offered it to him. We knew he could not afford a good piano, but he paid a piano company to pick it up and take it to his house (the three guys struggled with it but got it out and to his house). We are happy, and so is he.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well, it's starting to sound like you may have changed your mind on the bonfire. Hope you enjoy it. My daughter inherited a Howard from my mother that she had a s a kid.

OP
G

I couldn't have brought myself to burn it, not 100 year old wood. I'da have to have it made into guitar bodies or something. 100 years wortha notes all up inna grain it woulda have to sound good. :eagerness:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Many other options. When I had the action re-built on my grand piano, I made a lamp with the hammers. I've since collected lots of bits for various "sculpture" projects. The possibilities are endless. :encouragement: Here's the lamp I made... all glued with 5 minute epoxy; I then got a blank shade and papered with favorite music.
piano lamp.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Many other options. When I had the action re-built on my grand piano, I made a lamp with the hammers. I've since collected lots of bits for various "sculpture" projects. The possibilities are endless. :encouragement: Here's the lamp I made... all glued with 5 minute epoxy; I then got a blank shade and papered with favorite music.
View attachment 35478

Now that is a noteworthy project! Well done.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks JP. I still have a vision of building an entire manikin out of hammers, keys and strings... and sit him at the bench.

OP
G

Now that is a noteworthy project! Well done.

As usual, JP doesn't miss a beat. :thumbsup: I was saving the hammers out the one I burned but I didn't have time to do anything with them so I burnt them too, As usual. I only took a half step in completing the project.

I really like the lamp, it really takes a sharp mind to piece it all together. The bass is my favorite part, I hope you didn't have too much treble with it.

I betcha you got it for a song.