• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's Your Daily Driver?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I am curious about what you guys (and gals) that generally share my taste in old cars like to drive in newer cars, I know it probably runs the gamut from the modern equivalent of a British Sports Car, the Miata, to pick-up trucks, SUVs, and minivans.

I actually don't switch daily drivers too often, I was driving a 99 Maxima with a 5 speed for over 10 years, and recently got a "new" 2002 Lexus IS300, I was actually looking for something newer, but the cars they made in the late 2000s just got bigger and bulkier and weren't for the most part to my taste, and the newest cars, while some were more to my taste, weren't to my budget. I started out set on a clutch, I have always driven a manual, but eventually gave up, they were few and far between, and I also wanted something in nice shape, stock and low miles, which narrowed the search still more.

The Lexus, bought site unseen (other than internet pics) is amazing, 61,000 miles, the trunk looks like it has never been used, the undercarriage and engine compartment are shiny clean, and it is a really good car, not really fast, but quick enough, excellent handling, and a nice size, kind of smallish on the rear seat, but no more kids in the house, so not used often. For those not familiar the IS300 was Lexus's answer to the BMW 3 series, with a straight six and RWD. Given that 4-5 year old Hondas and such with over 100,000 miles were more money the choice seemed like a no brainer to me.

What do you drive and why?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
2011 Lexus ES350... because I'm getting lazy and enjoy the comfort (and reliability). Got it used with 20K miles on it.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Me, 2010 Ford F150. Lovely, 2010 Toyota RAV4

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Nissan Altima 2.5S, 2011. Best new car I've ever had (so far ...). Always drove Datsuns (!) and Mazdas for the last 30 years; prior to that, Chrysler cars (Plymouth Duster, Dodge Aspen).

Tom

D

Deleted member 8987

1964 MK2 Jag. Backup is 1950 Ford Tudor, backup to that is a 1950 Ford F-1.
All pushbutton start with a real key, no fobs, no power steering, all manuals, all with wing vents, no AC, none of them can you lock the keys in the car, no sensors, no back up cameras, no computers, no efi.....

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I forgot to mention, I know some of you daily drive your classic cars, which is great, I made it almost to the end of the 80s with my TR4A, but watched too many cars rust away in the Midwestern winters, when I fixed the rust on the 4A I decided to "save" it, and got a first generation RX7, which was great fun.

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
2002 quad cab dakota 2wd..the spitfire doesn't like winter salt

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
A Civic the last 3 years. Every time I drive it I wonder why I bought it but then remember it was cheap to buy, cheap to drive, gets me there and is as easy to sell as anything. The TR is my driver when the roads are clean and it's running. 1999 Eurovan camper is our mobile home, now waiting out winter. My wife has a 2006 Murano, her pick, after a Miata for 15 years which was also her pick.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
A 2000 Miata NB that I bought new.
Never kept in a garage, rarely washed and abused liberally.
It's covered in snow right now as I type this.
Lots of track days and autocrosses (1:10 lap time at Lime Rock).
I just put a new battery in it for the first time last week.
As I have often said, if I wrecked it tomorrow, I'd buy another one the next day. Best car by far that I have ever owned.

DSC_0078.jpg

I also use my MGB a lot in the Summer.....sometimes 3 or 4 times a week (I have a 4 mile commute).

DSC_0039.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Not doing much driving now that retirement has arrived. But mine is an '05 Tacoma Double Cab. Either that or Janet's '03 Mitsubishi Montero. Will be replacing that one in the coming few months, probably with a Highlander.

Haven't done anything to either one of them, short of normal maintenance, replacing tires, etc. Oh, and rear brake shoes on the Montero.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've been through a number of daily drivers over the years, but my current one I think will be a keeper, a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. I've mostly driven small FWD hatchbacks, but eventually decided I wanted something a bit more fun for the daily drive. I've tried the classic daily driver before ('76 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser) but they salt the beejebus out of the roads here in the winter and watching your beloved car dissolve before your eyes is a bit disturbing. :grin:

That, and my wife refuses to learn to drive a stick shift, so my car, if I wanted a manual to drive (and I do), needed to be able to do the daily commute *and* explore the south Utah desert. The Jeep fit the bill nicely. Chrysler makes it easy to custom order a Jeep, so I was able to set it up just the way I wanted it. My wife still complains about the manual crank-down windows and manual locks, but oh well. :encouragement:

jeeprock.jpg

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew - that is a *great* looking Wrangler, and a great photo altogether!

Thanks, Tom. Took that photo down along the Burr Trail (south end of Capitol Reef National Park more or less) just a few weeks after I got the Jeep. I will say that of all the cars/trucks I've had as daily drivers, this one suits me the best.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
2011 Land Rover LR4, bought used with 23K. After buying my insurance company pointed out the Buick dealer had undercut their price unknowingly by $15K, got it for $30K. Replaces my F150 4X4. Or I drive a 2011 MINI Countryman S or my 2003 MINI Cooper S Comp car. Jag is not done yet.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
'98 Ford Explorer. SWMBO, '04 Saab.