• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Towing BN4 on trailer

Country flag
I know this has been discussed before, but has anybody successfully towed a 100-6 with a U-haul open car trailer? Wheel width being the issue, of course.

Thanks!

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Thanks vette and Randy. I think I'm going to try it, but I was really surprised at the cost. It's over $500 to rent one to pick up in Maryland and end up in Florida. Now I'm thinking about pricing out the car carrier folks��

wolf

Country flag
I moved my project 1957 100-6 from Ga. to N.C. ( rented in Ga. and returned in N.C. ) on a U-Haul transporter about 4 years ago with no problems , as I remember it cost about $120 with insurance .

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I've towed many times and found you must take caution opening and closing the doors. Some trailers have removable wheel covers. I'd check some of the larger carriers first. You might find their prices aren't bad.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Remember to position the car on the trailer so you have a positive net weight on the hitch. You don't need much but you don't want the car centered where the trailer "seems balanced". If it seems balanced the trailer hitch will keep trying to jump off of your hitch as the trailer will keep porpoising. And deffinately don't let the weight favor the back end of the trailer. As as an example of what happens with a seemingly balanced trailer or one with the weight to the rear, when I towed the Midget to Mass. after headed back with an empty trailer I had only gotten on the Interstate for a few miles and realized that the trailer was porpoising enough to make things unsafe. I had to pull off and take the 3 plywood sheets that I had fastened to the trailer decking and stack them at the front of the trailer to get the weight on the hitch. Fortunately I had some large "C" clamps and used them to hold the plywood in place. After that the trailer rode beautifully all the way back to Pa. Dave.

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Remember to position the car on the trailer so you have a positive net weight on the hitch. You don't need much but you don't want the car centered where the trailer "seems balanced". If it seems balanced the trailer hitch will keep trying to jump off of your hitch as the trailer will keep porpoising. And deffinately don't let the weight favor the back end of the trailer. As as an example of what happens with a seemingly balanced trailer or one with the weight to the rear, when I towed the Midget to Mass. after headed back with an empty trailer I had only gotten on the Interstate for a few miles and realized that the trailer was porpoising enough to make things unsafe. I had to pull off and take the 3 plywood sheets that I had fastened to the trailer decking and stack them at the front of the trailer to get the weight on the hitch. Fortunately I had some large "C" clamps and used them to hold the plywood in place. After that the trailer rode beautifully all the way back to Pa. Dave.

"Porpoising;" I had never heard that term before. Up here we call it "fishtailing." No matter what you call it, that is good advice. A trailer without enough weight on the hitch can cause the tow vehicle to lose control and cause a bad wreck. It happens all the time. Open, flat bed trailers - when loaded properly - usually are very easy and safe to pull. Large enclosed trailers, on the other hand, can be a nightmare, especially when the wind comes up or the roads turn icy. My enclosed trailer sits unused most of the time, while the flatbed gets a lot of use.

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I used an U-Haul trailer to tow mine from Columbus to St. Louis and later St. Louis to Los Angeles. No sweat.
Chris...

Attachments

• Green Jam with Dad.jpg
    Green Jam with Dad.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Green Jam on street.jpg
    Green Jam on street.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 71

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Blueskies, Yeh, I guess the terms can be used interchangeably, but to me fishtailing was when any kind of vehicle, trailer or powered starts to swerve from side to side. Yeh that'll deffinately do ya in. My term porpoising is when the trailer starts to get a rythem where it doesn't have enough weight on the ball and the heavier back end lifts the front end and the trailer hitch is jerked up against the ball hitch on the back of your tow vehicle. As soon as it gets alittle movement up, providing that the hitch is locked on, forward momentum of the tow vehicle jerks it back down and it bottoms again on the ball. the the weight in the back causes the hitch to try to jump off your ball again and the thing just keeps doing that continuously in a rather quick rythem. It literally can tear the hitch right off your vehicle and if it doesn't it'll keep jarring your vehicle so much you'd wish it did. With just alittle weight on the front the hitch will always want to stay down. Dave.

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Vette, that does sound like the same thing. The first time time I experienced this was when a friend and I were hauling a ton or two of 8 foot long drywall on a 6 foot long trailer, pulled by a Volvo sedan. The drywall hung over the back of the trailer, taking all weight off the hitch. We just nicely made it up to highway speed when the trailer took on a mind of its own, violently swinging back and forth. The whipping actually picked up the back of the Volvo and it skidded back and forth on the highway. He managed to get it stopped without having a wreck. Since then, I have seen this happen numerous times to others. Bumper hitch travel trailers also can be bad for this when loaded wrong.