• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pioneer SX 434 Receiver - Which Speakers?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The SX 434 is in the garage - replaced by a SX1280.What are some good speakers to use in the garage with it? - Doug

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Too funny. I think I have an SX-434 (or a successor) in my semi-functional/broken pile. I'll have to check.

Boy, an SX-1280 is a lot of receiver for a garage. Did you have to sell a car to make room for it?

Speakers? You want speaker?

(warning: course language)

The 1280 will handle pretty much any 8ohm speaker so it's up to you and how you'll use them. Block party or background music?

For the garage my preference is for something sort of mechanical and physically rugged like a "metal brick" style speaker. The classic, old school, commonly available ebay/garage sale/thrift store brick would be the Realistic (Radio Shack) Minimus 7. As long as you don't need deep bass and don't try to play them too loud they should work fine. Your 1280 could probably blow them apart if you try but as long as you don't get all head-bangy they'd be OK.

I already have some cheap Audiosource bricks set aside for the garage (whenever I get around to clearing a space for a receiver) but If I were starting from scratch I'd seriously consider going upmarket and trying to score a set of Braun/ads units. (ebay is a wonderful thing.)

pc

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The SX 434 is in the garage - replaced by a SX1280.What are some good speakers to use in the garage with it? - Doug

Well just match up the Frequency response of the speakers with the receiver. Similarly,make sure the power handling capability of the speakers also matches the receiver's as a minimum.Then be sure the speakers are compatible with the environment of the garage.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
NO! - The SX1280 replaced the SX434,which moved to the garage.
The 1280 is in the house.
I'm looking for smaller,decent speakers,for the SX434 -
I don't need to "Turn it up to Eleven",as in Spinal Tap.
Sorry for the confusion.

- Doug

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ah, got'cha.

As you know, the 434 is limited on power. If you wanted to rock your block you'd need a very efficient speaker. Klipshorns would do well. Of course a pair of them would be as big as a new MINI and cost as much as a used one.

It's an annoying bit of physics that smaller speakers tend to be less efficient then larger ones. But since you won't need to crank them up to eleven you should be able to pair your 15wpc something smaller.

Ideally, I'd shoot for something with sensitivity of 90dB (1W,1m) or greater but smaller speakers that sensitive aren't too common.

IIRC the Minimus 7 is around 85dB, not great, but pretty good and more than adequate for moderate listening levels.