• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Door Handle Question - Need the Wisdom of the Wizards of BCF

rnpennington

Country flag
In refurbishing the interior of my 1962 TR4, I have a problem with the door handle mechanism. After learning of the differences between the handle mechanisms sold by Moss and The Roadster factory and the original handles (All new door mechanisms are for the TR4A and can only be fitted to a TR4 with lots of drilling, tapping screw holes, etc.) I bough a set off eBay that are original to the TR4.

After installing them (whoever came up with the idea of the method used to attach the inside door handle and window handle should be subject to the slow torture of listening to RoseAnn Barr sing the national anthem 24x7 for 10 years), I have a slight problem.
I can open the doors from the inside no problem. However, I cannot open the doors from the outside! I rechecked how I installed them and they look the same as the ones I had on the car before.

Any ideas on what I did wrong? Oh, by the way, I don't have keys for these handles, but I figure I never lock the car anyway, so no big deal.

Let the wisdom flow..................................

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hmmmm.... I don't know about the TR4 but I seem to remember when I did my TR6 resto that there was a screw on the exterior door handle that was used to adjust the distance to make contact with the door mechanism.
As I said, the TR4 may be different but it's worth having a look at the door handle.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I believe the lock mechanism lets you push the button on the door, but nothing happens, I also think I have had mine slip to the locked position without having locked the doors (that being said I don't know if TR4 door locks worked the same as the later cars.)

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
I just installed the exterior door handles on my 1962 TR4 after having the handles and buttons chrome plated.

With the handle off, could you open the door by sticking your finger in the hole in the door and pressing on the flat metal latch piece just inside the hole?

If you can open the door with your finger in the hole, then it may be the screw on the back side of the button, like Elliot mentioned.

It is a bit difficult to measure the correct clearance and adjust the small hex head bolt and lock nut properly. With the interior door panel off and the window up there is minimum clearance to get your hands in the area to measure and make adjustments. As I recall the spec is to use a .022" feeler gauge between the end of the adjustable screw and the flat plate I mentioned above. It is a little tricky to get the clearance correct and then get the locking nut tightened as you can not see anything and must do it by feel.

If you had the door handles completely apart and are not sure you have them back together properly, then I have instructions on how that is done if you need them.

Charley F from California actually took an old door handle apart and wrote the assembly directions down for me on another Triumph forum.

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wix.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi

OP
R

rnpennington

Country flag
Bob,
Thanks - the screw adjustment must be the problem, but since I bought the handles off eBay, I would like the instructions on how to put the handle together. I went to the link, but could not find the instructions. Can you send me a direct link to the instructions?

Thanks

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
The key number was marked on the barrels if you have the original ones.

These keys can be cut to order here for just a few bucks. They cut 'em just right by the way.

OP
R

rnpennington

Country flag
Well, the answer was pretty easy. I installed the door handles basackward. I didn't realize that there was a definite right and left handle, as they were not marked, at least as far as I could see.
NowI know.

i left my notes in the car but I will post how to tell the difference later.

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
They are marked on this little plate:
https://flic.kr/p/i6QUPZ

You can just about see OS and NS in the picture, on the rounded end.

BUT

This is Near-side and Off-side as it would be in the UK.
So in the US the drivers side is the one marked NS.

So you may have got it wrong if if you had seen the marking.

If gets even worse if you build a handle wrong with a mixture of bits from both sides.
Funny stuff happens with the key if you do this. Like you cant lock the car and then get the key out!