• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Parting is such sweet sorrow...

catfood

Jedi Knight
After 35+ years of excellent service the turntable I bought for myself just before I went to university (a Thorens TD166 MkII) with the proceeds of a dish washing job has finally gone to that great gig in the sky. While I be sad to see it go (and it may well be repairable) the sweet thing is it gives me the excuse to by a new one for my birthday.

So any HiFi geeks out there. I'm thinking of one of the lower end of the Pro-ject range - either an Essential II or I might push the boat out and stretch to a Debut Carbon. Any opinions?

Cheers

(Arrghh can't edit the title for my lousy typing!)

Basil

Administrator
Boss
What's a turntable? Just kidding. I have a nice Panasonic turntable PL-610 that looks great in my living room along with my Denon AVR-1912 receiver. The turntable needs a new needle cartridge and has been on my bucket list of things to get fixed. In the mean time (and this may seem like sacrilege to the purist) I bought a special digitizing turntable a couple of years ago and methodically went through my vinyl collection and converted a, my albums to .MP3 so I could load them all on my iPhone.

By the way, I fixed your title. You could have done so also if you have clicked on "Go Advanced" in the editor.

Tiger

Jedi Warrior
I have a nice Panasonic turntable PL-610

Not familiar with that model # and apparently neither is Google (Although isn't that a mid-70's Datsun?). I'd have to go look at my Panasonic, it's a linear-tracking one I got mail order in IIRC 1980, no idea which version. Died a few years ago, a friend rehabbed it and dropped in anew needle, works great now. Certainly the REAL audiophile types would frown on it, but with my hearing, I wound;t notice the difference versus a good one.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Funny you should post this. I just finally let go my dad's hi-fi gear (mono) from the 1950s - including a Garrard 301 (nowadays going for about $2000 without plinth or tone-arm). The Mac gear went too. Not sure why I was saving it, but I grew up with it and it meant a lot. Realized I just can't keep holding onto it in storage.
Still have a Denon DP-62L turntable with Sumiko Blue-point on it. Collecting dust but at the ready. :rolleye:

Last edited:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm still using my Fisher 634 FOUR Channel stereo receiver that I bought new in 1973. It still works fine, just wish 4-channel was still around.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've a Sony linear tracking one, usually the belts are all that goes bad.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Not familiar with that model # and apparently neither is Google (Although isn't that a mid-70's Datsun?). I'd have to go look at my Panasonic, it's a linear-tracking one I got mail order in IIRC 1980, no idea which version. Died a few years ago, a friend rehabbed it and dropped in anew needle, works great now. Certainly the REAL audiophile types would frown on it, but with my hearing, I wound;t notice the difference versus a good one.

It's a quartz direct drive table. I bought it years ago at a local audio store. It was on a bargain table due to some scratches in the cover. A little plastic polish and it was like new.

D

Deleted member 8987

I've got a table stored for the platters I have also stored...and two or three reel to reels...one a Wollensac in a leather case, two TEACs, one wood case, one not.
Amps....got a lot stashed away...one a Fisher, if I recall.

OP
catfood

catfood

Jedi Knight
This thread is beginning to remind me of this.

Did "Not the nine o clock news" cross the pond?

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have a Thorens TD 145 playing through a MacIntosh 1700 to a pair of Norman Lab model 10s. I also have a Sony three hundred disc CD changer. My 8 track and cassette players are no longer hooked up.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
A lot of the hip-hop DJ guys have "rediscovered" vinyl, so there are some definite professional grade turntables out there, and they're not overly expensive. American DJ, Numark, Denon and Pioneer all make good new turntables.

Growing up, my parents used to have a Harmon Kardon receiver / amp, and a Garrard turntable with 12" Jensen speakers that was part of their liquor cabinet. The Harmon Kardon was a tube unit. The Garrard stopped working after a while, but the Harmon Kardon worked until they got rid of the entire piece of furniture. Love the sound of tube stereos! My father had a Wollensak Reel to Reel but sold it at a garage sale. He may still have the Bell & Howell 8mm projector, though.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've got the last rig my dad built from scratch sometime in the early 60's. Bent his own chassis, assembled from component parts. Pre-amp and a 500 watt/channel stereo (Vacuum tubes). It drove a set of Altec Lansing "Voice of the Theater" speakers.

It's a wonder I ain't deaf by now.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've got the last rig my dad built from scratch sometime in the early 60's. Bent his own chassis, assembled from component parts. Pre-amp and a 500 watt/channel stereo (Vacuum tubes). It drove a set of Altec Lansing "Voice of the Theater" speakers.

It's a wonder I ain't deaf by now.

What'd you say?

1261812-Clipart-Of-A-Befuddled-Senior-White-Man-Listening-Though-An-Ear-Horn-Royalty-Free-Vector.jpg